A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Parking sensors issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2015, 02:11 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Parking sensors issue

Hi all,

I am new to the group and would like to say that I am happy to find such a great community for Audi's.
I am an owner of a 2005 Audi A8 D3, 4.2 TDI.
I experience some issues with my parking aid system.
When I put reverse, the parking aid doesn't come up on the MMI display at all, even though I can see that it tries to show something.
Furthermore, when put on reverse, I can hear 2 or 3 beeps from the buzzer and after that, only the button light is flashing. Nothing else.

Any ideas where I should start looking?
I tried to find the parking aid controller but with no luck.
My Audi has the B&O sound system installed, and by removing the driver cover located in the trunk, I didn't manage to find the parking aid controller. Is it located in another place?

FYI. I do not own a VAG COM or any other diagnostic equipment.

Thank you in advance for all your help.
Old 10-04-2015, 05:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Welcome!

Start with the Sticky tread. Lots of useful information. One of them is that you must have VCDS (VAG COM) if you want to maintain and repair your A8 yourself. Any other way you will spend more money replacing unnecessary things. No advice here, or anywhere else, is good if it is based only on a similar case.

Your reverse module should be behind the left rear wheel under that cover in the trunk.
Old 10-05-2015, 08:49 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had this issue a year ago.

Took a while to get a vcds reading as to what the problem was.
In my case - it was one of my PDC speakers.

There are two in the car, one for the rear sensors, one for the front sensors.

The rear one/in the rear parcel shelf had failed in my car - new part cost me $64 Australian.
Not much money but for the size of it... heaps-i expect it to have high quality diamonds inside for that!
Easy enough to change out when you follow the instructions and dont try to do it your own way

Get a scan then you know what the issue is - replacing randpm parts gets expensive quickly.

FWIW
my pdc controller is mounted on top of the Nav dvd drive in the boot / on the rack.
Mines an 06 4.2 - a friends 04 4.2 has it mounted differently.
Old 10-05-2015, 09:19 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thank you both for your reply. Next month I am considering to get the VAG COM equipment. It is really hard to find here in Norway but RossTech has a reseller.
I will check after that, although I wanted first just to check on the PDC controller. I will take a look to see if it is mounted on the top of the DVD drive.
Old 11-27-2015, 01:45 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Video of Parking Sensor Test and Replacement

When I had a parking sensor issue, it frustrated me that I could not find any videos anywhere on how to fix, or even test, the sensors. As such, I went ahead and put one together as I fixed my issue. Hopefully, there is something in here that will help you too.

The following users liked this post:
StrA8L (03-08-2020)
Old 11-27-2015, 04:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Graphic inter face enabled on your mmi screen ?
Under car setup menu I think
Controller for parking located in the boot left side I think ( pdc )
Can be above the Nav dvd or near on the wheel well ( my 2004) depends
Older PDC does not have the graphic interface.
When I put the later model PDC in mine the graphics sort of showed. Ghostly sort of thing.
Needed coding.
As said previously you really need vcds to track down the problem.
So either mmi settings, coding or faulty part.
Did it ever work correctly since you had it ?
Have you played around with some settings ?
Or did it just stop working ?
Tried a mmi reset? Sometimes fixes things but not often
Old 11-28-2015, 02:08 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thank you all for your replies. Also the video was very helpful.
When I went to service the car, the diagnostic showed to faulty sensors (one in the front, one in the back).
the one in the front is the left inner sensor (on the grill). The one in the back is the outer left. I assume I can replace both myself.
@Bangledorf. Thanks for the video. That was very informational. I will try to repair myself and see if I will manage to get it working.
Old 11-28-2015, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jax7480
Thank you all for your replies. Also the video was very helpful.
When I went to service the car, the diagnostic showed to faulty sensors (one in the front, one in the back).
the one in the front is the left inner sensor (on the grill). The one in the back is the outer left. I assume I can replace both myself.
@Bangledorf. Thanks for the video. That was very informational. I will try to repair myself and see if I will manage to get it working.
Vag Com has saved me $3000 and counting on my (recently sold) EOS and my A8...well worth the $350 and since I'm doing rear brakes next myself a must have. Hey, even to have a second opinion if you go the dealership or mechanic route as some have been known to perhaps fib for job security reasons etc...
Old 11-29-2015, 03:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

You want to have VCDS to help isolate the issue. I had this issue once and it was related to the wiring harness for the rear parking sensors. It could be as simple as a frayed wire, that over time became frayed because of some rubbing on sharper objects behind the plastic bumper fascia. Not a fun fix because you will likely need to drop the rear bumper to have a look.
Old 11-30-2015, 06:52 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jax7480
I am glad it helped. I know how frustrating it can be to get your feet wet in this world. Even if you already know something about cars, I am learning that Audis are a whole different club.

Good luck with your repair. Let us know how it goes.

Quick Reply: Parking sensors issue