A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Part ID

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2016, 04:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are four vehicle level senders, one at each wheel. According to your scanner, the left front level sender has an electrical fault in circuit. This is the same error I received via VCDS, along with the right front sender error. I don't see why the sensor itself would be bad since it is a simple potentiometer and does not usually go bad (mine are over 230k mi old and still work). Therefore, I'm leaning towards a bad connection between the control module and the sender (wiring harness). More specifically, within the connectors, at the terminal level.

A VCDS tool would be helpful; however, if you read the self study program, you'll notice that the vehicle level senders are interchangeable within the same car, i.e. the right front level sender can be connected to the left front's wiring harness to at least check for a fault in the wiring harness. If the fault code for the left front goes away once you connect your right front level sensor to the left front's wiring harness(same pinout, and connector can only go in one orientation, so don't force it), you can rule out a faulty wiring harness and order a new sender.

If you find that the wiring harness is fine, here are a couple of senders that should work for $45 (either should work because of interchangeability, however you must swap the linkage arm to the control arm).

2006 AUDI A8 D3 FRONT LEFT DRIVER SIDE HEADLIGHT LEVELING SENSOR SRS - OEM | eBay

2006 AUDI A8 D3 FRONT RIGHT PASSENGER SIDE HEADLIGHT LEVELING SENSOR SRS - OEM | eBay

As for the level control module fault, don't worry about that right now, as it's bound to emit an implausible signal because it can't properly read the left front ride height. It should go away once you get the level sender issue sorted out.
Old 11-16-2016, 04:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"As for the level control module fault, don't worry about that right now, as it's bound to emit an implausible signal because it can't properly read the left front ride height. It should go away once you get the level sender issue sorted out."[/QUOTE]
That's what I was thinking too.
Old 11-16-2016, 05:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by target39
T I don't see why the sensor itself would be bad since it is a simple potentiometer and does not usually go bad (mine are over 230k mi old and still work).
Just a quick point; Motor vehicles have not had potentiometers for over fifteen years. These, along with "dial type" controls are now glass encoders.

Depending on your age, you may (like us older people) recall when turning on a car radio by the volume/on-off dial; A lot of static. That was from a dirty/corroded potentiometer. You had to spray "technician in a can" into the potentiometer in an attempt to fix the issue. Imagine if they were used on today's complex vehicles.

Failure of encoders include IR light source transistors/LED's failing or the receiver optic sensor failing or a mechanical failure of the etched glass rotor falling off its' axle etc. Otherwise, yes, wiring from the controller to the sensor. Then again, connectors can sometimes be an issue but VW/Audi connectors from this era are really robust.
Old 11-16-2016, 05:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

I should add this car is a one owner with 56k. I will check the wiring but leaning towards the sender. I already had it off once today. Really hoping this is related to the headlight range finder problem.
Old 11-17-2016, 07:33 AM
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by welj31
I should add this car is a one owner with 56k. I will check the wiring but leaning towards the sender. I already had it off once today. Really hoping this is related to the headlight range finder problem.
If you do end up get a sensor, the part number has updated from E - G Full part number is 4E0-941-285-G (4E0-941-286-G for passenger side) 177 on my site and free shipping (use code "audiworld") Let me know if theres anything else i can help with!
Old 11-27-2016, 06:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by the_duke
Generic OBD2 readers don't always give the best results. A VCDS scan would be best.
ok this is the scanner I have and it does everything i can think of. Is there a better one some where? Link? thanks
Old 11-28-2016, 05:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Ross-Tech Store: VCDS
Old 11-28-2016, 02:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by the_duke
There is no substitute.
Old 11-28-2016, 03:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack88
There is no substitute.
+ many!

And if you exit the Audi (or VW) brand ever, you can probably sell it for like 75-80% of the one time price of admission if you are the legit owner. Best price ever for empties after you are done enjoying the contents. Likewise you always get the latest full software suite. Thus the software that supported my D3 in 2007--three years plus before the D4 was even intro'ed or the Q5 was first released, let alone Hybrid drive electronics or the 5 years in the future 4.0T--now supports all of them. Also deals with critical modules that were integrated between generations and different bodies. Many other vendors would try to endlessly upsell you for that kind of "major release" change.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 11-28-2016 at 05:16 PM.
Old 11-29-2016, 05:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for all the information. I think once I get this one fixed I will list it. I will be running away from Audi fast. This is the second one and both were very undependable, overpriced (for what you get), and a total PITA to work on. The first had 156k on the ticker so I my thinking was less miles less problems. So I picked this 04 up from Westmont in IL. It has 56k .All it needed was tires and a sensor said the salesman at the stealership. BS left my wife stranded 3 times hundreds of miles from home. Nothing but problems with both. Hell Audi cant even come up with a simple way to connect blue tooth or music. Really its a shame. I love the ride (spinal cord injury), love the power, but my kids caddy rides almost as good. Thanks again

Quick Reply: Part ID