A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Passenger door not opening from outside

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2016, 11:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Passenger door not opening from outside

No that you guys have answered my other question very well I am hoping for a solution with this next one.

The passenger door (left hand one here in UK) has suddenly started to play up,

It wont open via the exterior handle, the button on it still locks and when i lift it the lights flash to indicate it is unlocking but the door remains closed. We are having to open it by leaning across and doing it from the inside.

My feeling is some linkage has come loose inside so how easy or hard is it to get to the inner guts of the door for a look. I have found a couple of vids on Youtube but they are a bit inconclusive.
Old 09-24-2016, 05:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

If the door wont open from the outside, then either the door latch is toast or the clip that holds the rod the latch is broken.

4B0837171 is the part number of the clip.

If you buy a door latch, the clip comes with it.
Old 09-24-2016, 06:30 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I just had a similar issue, not exactly like yours as mine was the inside door handle wasnt working. My problem was the clip that attaches the rod to the handle came loose. I took it to the dealer and they fixed it for me, but if thats not an option you can get the instructions for the door panel from Alldatadiy.com with a 1 year subscription for under $20. That was my backup plan in case the dealer was going to charge me too much.
Old 09-24-2016, 09:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

As far as a DIY job, you will need some door panel clips and some Torx bits to remove the secondary door panel. This is NOT a 15 minute job.
Old 09-24-2016, 06:03 PM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts

I had a similar problem where it was the clip that attaches the rod to the door handle. It broke, rod fell out, meaning the outside handle was no longer attached to the door latch mechanism. It's a pretty universal part and here is a pic of one I found on google (think it's from an Accord). It's the little nylon clip holding the rod into the handle mechanism.

For me I had the major added complication of it being a rear door and the child locks were on so literally no way to open the door. Don't want to say too much on an open forum, but winding the window down and looking inside the door cavity on the side that still works you'll see how the mechanism works, and you'll be able to figure out what to press and how with the aid of a long tool to open the door.

Either way, you have to dismantle the door to get to its innards/remove the outer handle, and you absolutely need the service manual to do it. Not hard, but many steps, and quite time consuming.
The clip part number is: 893839821.

You will also need half a dozen of these as you'll break a few pulling off the door trim.
Part no: 6Q0868243
The following users liked this post:
Momma Bey (02-09-2022)
Old 09-24-2016, 11:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks guys for the help. I have tried to get the panel off but the imbecile who had the car before me must have tried to do the same but only managed to round off the head of the lower bolt, the one inside the door pocket.
Anyway I tried the thing again and without doing much apart from verbally abuse the said imbecile the think started to work again. This suggests its an issue with the lock unit electronics and not mechanical. I have sourced a 2nd hand one from eBay just have to try and get the bolt out now !!!!
Old 09-25-2016, 04:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by hughmungus
Thanks guys for the help. I have tried to get the panel off but the imbecile who had the car before me must have tried to do the same but only managed to round off the head of the lower bolt, the one inside the door pocket.
Anyway I tried the thing again and without doing much apart from verbally abuse the said imbecile the think started to work again. This suggests its an issue with the lock unit electronics and not mechanical. I have sourced a 2nd hand one from eBay just have to try and get the bolt out now !!!!
Did you run a diagnostic scan using the Ross-Tech software or OEM shop computer? That could verify an electronic/electrical problem such as a connector.
Complicated car......
Old 09-26-2016, 01:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Done a check using Carly and it gives me a fault

Lock unit for central locking n/a front 002115,

I guessing the electronics in the lock unit are faulty !