A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing belt rubbing on cover

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 01:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Timing belt rubbing on cover

Today I decided to check the timing belt area and found this gem:

Could the belt rubbing the plastic cover damage the belt any? Here is the timing belt face damage:

Besides the timing belt rubbing the cover I found what looked to be the timing belt slightly riding the edge of the camshaft sprockets.

And finally in the video below you can see the timing belt slightly riding the edge and what appears to be the belt slightly wandering on the sprockets by fractions of an inch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EL4D...ature=youtu.be

I am just wondering if this is a concern that I should get checked, because I have a 12 month/ 12,000 mile warranty on the parts and service from Audi.
Old 07-28-2015, 02:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Did the dealer do the timing belt?

Should take it to them and show them what you think is NOT right. I wouldn't run the engine with the cover off for long in the open, anything can fly in and cause problems.

Cheers,

Louis
Old 07-28-2015, 02:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

Something isn't right, so yes get it checked. It seems like the belt is slightly forward on the pulleys, which to me means either one of the rollers is holding it slightly too far forward (since they have the lips on the sides), or maybe the tensioner is not square to the block. I saw the latter myself (right before I threw the NTN aftermarket tensioner pulley into the trash and got an OE), so I know that is possible. It didn't mistrack on mine even though I saw it was not square, but I have had mis tracking like that with serp belts on Chrysler V6's, which underneath were also not squarely aligned/worn tensioners.

If it's the tensioner, hopefully what ever belt service you or prior owner got included that tensioner. If not, then you would not be covered most likely. Assuming it is covered, they should replace all of the bad part, the belt (again) and now the damaged cover. Frankly it is minor enough/caught early that you could live w/ the cover and likely even the belt, but objectively it isn't tracking right and the cover is the proof positive. Besides tensioner BTW or that one of those rollers is defective, I suppose something could have been installed backwards, or with a washer in the wrong place or some such. Something is holding the belt outward like a shim or inside lip of the rollers, or is causing it to wander outward (kind of like a front bicycle derailleur) because it isn't tracking perpendicularly to the motor at the belt wraps around it.
Old 07-28-2015, 02:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Here is the service invoice/parts list:
Old 07-28-2015, 05:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jlbell
Here is the service invoice/parts list:
Whoa, 2 grand, a little over 13 in my area.
Old 07-28-2015, 05:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 05audiman
Whoa, 2 grand, a little over 13 in my area.
That was the price I fought with the service manager for after they quoted me $1,575. They apparently quoted me for a 4 cylinder even after checking 3 times and giving the vin each time.
Old 07-28-2015, 05:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

That was the price I fought with the service manager for after they quoted me $1,575. They apparently quoted me for a 4 cylinder even after checking 3 times and giving the vin each time.
Ah, well I paid $1340. I thought that was high til I saw the parts price list and the amount of labor involved. Now I believe It's a fair price, stealerships really do get over on us though.
Old 07-28-2015, 05:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 05audiman
Ah, well I paid $1340. I thought that was high til I saw the parts price list and the amount of labor involved. Now I believe It's a fair price, stealerships really do get over on us though.
The bad thing is they were trying to get $2,800. Which wasn't going to happen.
Old 07-28-2015, 05:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

The bad thing is they were trying to get $2,800. Which wasn't going to happen.
Never that much, ever!!
Old 07-28-2015, 07:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

It all depends on the area the dealer is located. Fletcher Jones Audi in downtown Chicago has a labor rate that is 75% higher than the Detroit area Audi dealers. only about 260 miles difference. Like real estate; Location, Location, Location.

Quick Reply: Timing belt rubbing on cover