A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Physics question - how do our cars make it over speed bumps?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 06:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Physics question - how do our cars make it over speed bumps?

Hello everyone,

I'm curious how Quattro works when, for instance, going up a giant speed bump like we have here at my apartment complex (see image).

It would seem that when going up onto the speed bump the front wheels are traveling further/faster than the back wheels. Are the back wheels just freewheeling (i.e. along for the ride) in that case? How does the Torsen differential handle torque distribution when starting to go up such an incline?

Anyone know?

-JT
Attached Images  
Old 08-18-2014, 07:07 PM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts

In exactly the same way as when the car goes around a corner. The front axle travels further than the rear axle which the center diff allows for, and is it's primary purpose. The only fancy thing about a Torsen diff over a normal open diff is that it's of a limited slip type.
Old 08-18-2014, 07:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

So in the case of the incline does the Torsen just send equal torque to all four wheels, even though the fronts are moving faster? Or is all the torque going to the front with the rear wheels just freewheeling along? -JT
Old 08-18-2014, 07:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Middle differential allows 0-100% difference from axle to axle. There is more difference between axles in a sharp turn than in your scenario. Torsen differential just creates some resistance to that difference.
Old 08-18-2014, 08:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by powderlvr
So in the case of the incline does the Torsen just send equal torque to all four wheels, even though the fronts are moving faster? Or is all the torque going to the front with the rear wheels just freewheeling along? -JT
If there is no wheel spinning more torque goes to the faster axle, so in this case to the front axle. How much more depends on Torque Bias Ratio (TBR). I am not sure but I believe that A8 has 2:1 TBR, meaning that faster axle can get 66.6% while slower gets 33.3% of a torque.

If wheel(s) on one axle start slipping Torsen differential transfers to the other axle TBR times more torque that spinning axle can still handle. Unfortunately that means that if one axle has 0 traction and can't handle any torque, the other axle will get TBR time 0 which is still 0, so in that case Torsaen differential acts just like an opened differential. Not really off road transmission.
Old 08-19-2014, 11:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mishar
If there is no wheel spinning more torque goes to the faster axle, so in this case to the front axle. How much more depends on Torque Bias Ratio (TBR). I am not sure but I believe that A8 has 2:1 TBR, meaning that faster axle can get 66.6% while slower gets 33.3% of a torque.

If wheel(s) on one axle start slipping Torsen differential transfers to the other axle TBR times more torque that spinning axle can still handle. Unfortunately that means that if one axle has 0 traction and can't handle any torque, the other axle will get TBR time 0 which is still 0, so in that case Torsaen differential acts just like an opened differential. Not really off road transmission.
Exactly. This is why a true Limited Slip Differential (LSD) has a major advantage over Torque Biased Differentials (TBD, of which a Torsen- typically based on a Gleason design- is the most common type). Serious off road vehicles will use some form of locking differential.
Old 08-19-2014, 02:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Maybe I'm missing something here but how is the front travelling any faster than the rear when moving in the example you depicted?

Totally understand the effects in a turn but not here. If you were to take the rear wheel from the 3" to 4" mark on your ruler the front wheel will be sitting directly on the 5" (using your pic).

I get your point about the speed bump though in terms of distance traveled relative to the rear wheel. But combine in the fact that tires are forgiving, the distance difference will equate to only a few mm's, and that its only a momentary change in speed... I'd say its really not going any faster.
Old 08-19-2014, 02:42 PM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by tdawg183
Maybe I'm missing something here but how is the front travelling any faster than the rear when moving in the example you depicted?

Totally understand the effects in a turn but not here. If you were to take the rear wheel from the 3" to 4" mark on your ruler the front wheel will be sitting directly on the 5" (using your pic).

I get your point about the speed bump though in terms of distance traveled relative to the rear wheel. But combine in the fact that tires are forgiving, the distance difference will equate to only a few mm's, and that its only a momentary change in speed... I'd say its really not going any faster.
High school maths and Pythagoras theorem will give you the answer to that. No I'm not about to teach you....
Old 08-19-2014, 03:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Front wheels only go faster upon first ascending an incline

TDawg, the front wheels move faster upon first climbing an incline (see image here) but as the car climbs further up the incline things begin to reverse with the rear wheels traveling more quickly than the fronts.

In this image you can see that the car's axles (represented by the ends of a ruler) travel different amounts as the car begins to ascend. The rear tire has covered 3 inches while the front tire has covered over 4 inches in the same amount of time (faster).

Like you said, it's all inconsequential for a speed bump. I was just wondering how the Torsen differential handles the situation though. With the rear wheels essentially freewheeling, trying to keep up, I wondered if the Torsen would treat them as though they had no traction. But from the discussion it sounds as though they receive just as much torque as the faster-moving front wheels.

-JT
Attached Images  
Old 08-19-2014, 03:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

That picture with rulers fits better Humvee board, but not good for this discussion. Huge bump would more look like this and red line is obviously longer than the black one.

Name:  Bump_zps9a8db703.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  9.7 KB

Quick Reply: Physics question - how do our cars make it over speed bumps?