A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Planning to buy a 2008 S8

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2016, 12:53 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Planning to buy a 2008 S8

Hello Audiworld.

great forum you guys have. Im coming from the Subaru world where the forums were full of egos and miss information. I am planning to pickup this s8 Cars for Sale: Used 2008 Audi S8 in , Easton PA: 18042 Details - Sedan - Autotrader

I test drove the car and WOW is all i have to say. I found a couple issues. Trunk doesnt like to open on its own. That isnt an issue as i already read up on how to attack it. Passenger door carbon fiber trim looks to be cracked without any impact marks. Dealer didnt even know it was there but i found it lol. Seems the previous owner use to smoke but car smelled great with the heat and ac on so no worries there but the headliner on the drivers side has some small marks. It looks like i might be able to clean that up. Drivers leather seat looks a little beat up on the seat cushion portion. I tested the air ride and every single button possible. All seems okay

My major question is. When i started the car. It seemed to have a little shimmy while it idled for a second. It went away after 5 or so seconds. I would best relate it to a misfire if it was my subaru but everything was good after a couple seconds. After the test drive I let the car idle while i went over everything to see if a check engine would come up or the car would start to "misfire" again. Seemed to be good. Any thoughts on potential issues there?

I ordered a VCDS so when i go back i can dig a little deeper and see if there are any other potential issues. I did read over the newbie guides and feel i have a good handle on how to pull the scan.

One more thing. The back left rim had a crack which the dealer told me right away. The car will already have a new wheel by the time i return. Does a cracked wheel red flag anything. To me the car would have had to hit something hard to crack a rim.

Any input would be great and i cant wait to pick this car up lol
Old 04-02-2016, 01:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts
Default MMI **** seems to be scratched up with finger nails?

Does carfax or auto check show anything? Cracked wheel? No massage and ventilated seat option?

<a href="http://www.dognmonkey.com/audi/looking-for-the-best-used-a8-d3.html">How to get the best A8 D3</a>

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-...ivery-2880586/

Cheers and good luck,

Louis
Old 04-02-2016, 01:24 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

carfax shows a collision with a car but it was on the right hand side opposite to the cracked wheel. ill make sure to go through those links. Any thoughts and the odd misfire type issue at turn on?
Old 04-02-2016, 01:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ltooz_a6_a8_q7
Does carfax or auto check show anything? Cracked wheel? No massage and ventilated seat option?

<a href="http://www.dognmonkey.com/audi/looking-for-the-best-used-a8-d3.html">How to get the best A8 D3</a>

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-...ivery-2880586/

Cheers and good luck,

Louis
D3 S8 never came with massage and/or ventilated seats

OP that car seems fairly loaded.
Extended leather
B&O
Carbon trim
Rear climate
Adaptive cruise and lane assist

Last edited by Darren Coogan; 04-02-2016 at 01:28 PM.
Old 04-02-2016, 04:11 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I seriously considered that one but ultimately didn't want to spend that much. Looked super nice from pics. Possible they could have rotated the tires and inadvertently moved the cracked wheel to the side that wasn't damaged. Dealer has been sitting on that car since July of last year so he may move a little on that price too although it has dropped a grand since I was looking a couple months ago. Good luck, keep us posted!
Old 04-02-2016, 05:14 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

thanks for the info! any info helps lol. ill keep everyone posted
Old 04-02-2016, 05:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Did you have a PPI done? If not, might want to set one up at a local Audi dealer, or Indy shop.
Old 04-02-2016, 05:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I agree on the PPI. Also might want to set up a PPi with a body shop to see how the damage was repaired.
My guess is that the left wheel could have been the right wheel during the accident.
So far I really enjoy my s8 after a year of ownership. I have put a new Oil separator in, I have new control arms waiting to be installed, x2 oil changes, new spark plugs waiting to be put in. Fixed an oil leak at the oil filter housing.
Vagcom is a great idea and if you are a DIY'er.
Old 04-02-2016, 06:14 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thats something i didnt think about. Ill try to find a shop that could take a look. I told the dealer that i want to take the car on the highway once the wheel was fixed and they said it wouldnt be a problem which was good. Ill see what shops i could find and give them a call this week in preparation to the test drive. Great idea that you
Old 04-02-2016, 06:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts

The slight shake at start up: hard to know. Could just be car sitting for long periods on end. Might be secondary air injection, which throws a CEL, but only after two full cold hot cold cycles if codes cleared. BTW, if you are getting VCDS, scan the ECU specifically for the readiness codes. Of course, they should come back "ready." If they don't, then be suspicious any codes were very recently cleared and thus CEL (or other issues) may not be apparent yet. On the other hand, if it does report ready, it gives you a better sense the scan is more comprehensive. Also, almost expect to find various power management, voltage type codes. Quite common, more so for a car sitting or people opening doors and such a lot to look at. Doesn't typically turn on any lights or warnings; again if you don't find some of that kind of stuff, or scan is clean top to bottom, that probably isn't real world for a D3 that has months or years of run time without a code clear.

If you buy it, maybe run some fuel cleaner/Techron through. With FSI, don't expect anything as far as cleaning up intake valves. But would clean up injectors in case that helps initial start some. Separately, look at tune up history, if service book filled out or it is in CarFax. If too many miles since last one, plugs and such would be obviously in order and might also improve start up. Honestly, may be as simple as it needs some driving, fresh gas, etc. to get it back in running shape since it sounds like it has been sitting on market a long time.

Quick Reply: Planning to buy a 2008 S8