A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please Check Navigation DVD...

Old 05-03-2014, 08:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

True, it was just exemplary of the price reductions we've seen lately.
Irony is I bought the mSATA to replace one that failed after about 2 years.
SAS and SATA are horrendously implemented copycat protocols IMHO, although improving with Gen3 controllers, but that's another story all together....

LOL, yes you should never ever turn anything off if you want it to last.
My last gig at IBM was in Storage Systems and to this day I'm petrified of turning off arrays.
Nothing, absolutely nothing, in my house and office except the TV is ever shut off except when the UPS is running low.

Large NV memory is an excellent idea.
Audi doesn't use DVD's anymore for maps so that's a move in the right direction at least.
If Audi could implement something like RoCE via MOST it could be pretty effective as well.
Stay tuned for some interesting developments in that general arena, if you haven't already seen them
Old 05-03-2014, 08:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Pardon my mechanical approach, but isn't large cash memory already in use in those DVD based units? It never failed me while working. Only while initiating. That looks to me like it is cashing all needed in the area and working with cash memory from there on.

Solid state HD's wise, I think they where not ready for general market when actual generation Audi's where on drawing boards. Not to mention solid reliability statistics.

And at the end, only reasonable MMI future:

Name:  AudiSamsung005_zpsfd28029c.jpg
Views: 2155
Size:  160.3 KB
Old 05-03-2014, 09:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mishar
isn't large cash memory already in use in those DVD based units?
There is some memory onboard the computer most people think is just a DVD drive but I don't know how much...

Originally Posted by mishar
Solid state HD's wise, I think they where not ready for general market when actual generation Audi's where on drawing boards. Not to mention solid reliability statistics.
It is still early days, that is true.
Consumer grade flash isn't where it should be yet either on MTBF.

I just want one of these in my next Audi.

Edit: Ultimately LTE may could eliminate the need for the drive all together, IF you could always get reliable reception.

Last edited by jakematic; 05-03-2014 at 09:05 AM. Reason: additional thought
Old 09-03-2014, 02:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ltooz_a6_a8_q7
It's over a year without any hick ups, today, the temperature got up to 95 degrees, turned on the car, navigation and "please wait... initialize.." then "Please check navigation dvd". Reset the MMI, removed and re-inserted the dvd still had the same problem. The current DVD is 2012-2013 copy. Took out the old 2010, put it in, it loaded but it doesn't navigate or load the stored addresses but it did navigate with the 20 memorized destination. Weird software problem.
Came home, open the trunk, let the hot air out from the navigation bay, left the cover out. Put back the 2012-2013 copy dvd in (didn't even need to reset the MMI) - by the way, to reset MMI just in case someone doesn't know, tel + big **** + northeast button from where your sitting. I forgot and had to tried many combinations -
"new software found - update?"
Yes,
The MMI updated and voila, the navigation is back.
The moral of the story is, it's not the DVD, not the Navigation player, it's the heat that caused the problem. So, next time, if this happens, make sure the navigation bay is well vented... May be the car is designed only for optimum temperature of 70 degrees F. +/- 10 degrees... :-), if you live in the north pole or near the equator, don't buy this car.

Cheers,

Louis
Had the same "Check Navigation DVD" problem. It basically made my navigation system inoperable. Followed your instructions with the 2013 dvd disc. Once the navigation software updated, everything started working again. It seems reliable now and is much faster. Very happy that the DVD unit does not have to be replaced (at least not yet).
Old 09-04-2014, 08:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

Just got one incident yesterday, went home, overnight, up and running again like nothing happened... It does have something to do with heat . It doesn't bother me any more.
Cheers,
Louis