A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please provide me with a video showing proper tail light function.

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2016, 12:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please provide me with a video showing proper tail light function.

Hi guys!

I just got my 2007 A8 swb back from the shop and noticed the tail lights don't work properly. There was work performed that involved some of the wiring inside the right side quarter panel so I'm thinking it might be related.

My main concern is the way the turn signals behave. On the left tail light, the turn signal section stays on the entire time. When you actually engage the turn signal, it blinks the light and makes it just a tiny bit brighter, barely visible difference. On the right side tail light, the turn signal section is off. When you engage the turn signal it does blink normally but it also blinks the top section that's supposed to be the parking light.

The left tail light top section also stays on bright the whole time so when you press the brakes, no change occurs.

From the one video I was able to find on YouTube (depicting a euro market car) the top section of the tail lights isn't supposed to blink at all. It should strictly be parking/brake light.

Lastly, are the inner sections located on the trunk lid supposed to become brighter when you step on the brakes? I noticed the updated lights do this (2008+) but mine do not.

Right now the shop is trying to track down the issue. So far they replaced the right side outer tail light which made no change in the behavior of the lights.

What I'm asking for, if one of you would be so kind to do so, is take a short video of your car showing how the parking lights, turn signals and brake lights are supposed to work on a US market car with the original style LED tail lights, not the later ones from 2008 onwards.

Or if you know own of any good existing videos that would of course work too. I just need to show the shop how they're supposed to function.

Thank you so much!!!

Last edited by AudiSport44; 05-28-2016 at 12:57 PM.
Old 05-28-2016, 05:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Anyone???
Old 05-28-2016, 06:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Try looking old reviews. They do a lot of drive by shots, including braking, night driving, and signaling to get over. I know Jeremy Clarkson did one with a diesel, testing its range.
Old 05-28-2016, 06:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

There are some facelift ones on utube but only braking. And not sure what country it's from
I am in Australia so mine are different
Old 05-28-2016, 06:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

This one shows the tail lights on.
Old 05-29-2016, 02:12 AM
Engineer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiSport44
Hi guys!

I just got my 2007 A8 swb back from the shop and noticed the tail lights don't work properly. There was work performed that involved some of the wiring inside the right side quarter panel so I'm thinking it might be related.

My main concern is the way the turn signals behave. On the left tail light, the turn signal section stays on the entire time. When you actually engage the turn signal, it blinks the light and makes it just a tiny bit brighter, barely visible difference. On the right side tail light, the turn signal section is off. When you engage the turn signal it does blink normally but it also blinks the top section that's supposed to be the parking light.

The left tail light top section also stays on bright the whole time so when you press the brakes, no change occurs.

From the one video I was able to find on YouTube (depicting a euro market car) the top section of the tail lights isn't supposed to blink at all. It should strictly be parking/brake light.

Lastly, are the inner sections located on the trunk lid supposed to become brighter when you step on the brakes? I noticed the updated lights do this (2008+) but mine do not.

Right now the shop is trying to track down the issue. So far they replaced the right side outer tail light which made no change in the behavior of the lights.

What I'm asking for, if one of you would be so kind to do so, is take a short video of your car showing how the parking lights, turn signals and brake lights are supposed to work on a US market car with the original style LED tail lights, not the later ones from 2008 onwards.

Or if you know own of any good existing videos that would of course work too. I just need to show the shop how they're supposed to function.

Thank you so much!!!
bro grab vcds and run an output test.... sound like the central electronics module catching a case before buying stuff swap the lights the the other side and see if its the same, plug will fit but not the mounting ofcourse, if it does then the CEM is acting up, check it for faults.....
Old 05-29-2016, 05:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I did swap the lights and the issues remained, isolated to either side. This is what led me to believe the lights themselves are fine.

Would you mind telling me what is supposed to blink exactly and what is supposed to become brighter when using the brakes? I need to know what I'm chasing for sure. Please?

Thank you!
Old 05-29-2016, 11:06 PM
Engineer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiSport44
I did swap the lights and the issues remained, isolated to either side. This is what led me to believe the lights themselves are fine.

Would you mind telling me what is supposed to blink exactly and what is supposed to become brighter when using the brakes? I need to know what I'm chasing for sure. Please?

Thank you!
Ill record you a video tomorrow...... or I should say later today......
Old 05-30-2016, 05:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Please if you could that would be greatly appreciated!
Old 05-30-2016, 05:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Don't forget the turn signal/parking light. To show that, place the turn signal in left turn position with the ignition off. Only the left rear parking light should be on.

Quick Reply: Please provide me with a video showing proper tail light function.