A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possibly Joining the A8 Group

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 04:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you look closely it was hit in the lower front.

Old 03-31-2015, 04:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I seen it, someone curbed it really bad and ripped off the front lower part of the bumper.

Originally Posted by Petahs
If you look closely it was hit in the lower front.

Old 03-31-2015, 04:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by jlbell
I seen it, someone curbed it really bad and ripped off the front lower part of the bumper.
That should be the lest of your concerns. This is 10 years old very complicated car. Many things can be bad or perfect. Crack on the bumper can be easily fixed or you can just live with it. Not the case with the most of the rest. You need to see this car first and have it inspected.
Old 03-31-2015, 05:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Petahs is going to take a look at it for me Thursday.

Originally Posted by mishar
That should be the lest of your concerns. This is 10 years old very complicated car. Many things can be bad or perfect. Crack on the bumper can be easily fixed or you can just live with it. Not the case with the most of the rest. You need to see this car first and have it inspected.
Old 03-31-2015, 05:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Here are the problems with A8 D3 buyers face...

- The car that is sick as a dog, and was abused like a stepped child, still looks good and drives nice with tons of stuff need to be fixed and can never be the same (walking wounded due to years of being neglected and uncared for).
- With all the options and luxurious appointments that over come all the warning lights on the dash and switches that don't work.
- The price is outrageously cheap for what "I" get in front of me. "The darn massage seats worth almost a fifth of the car".
- "I" used to rebuilt 68 Camaro from the ground up, how hard can these noises, warning lights, and switches be to fix?

I've read enough of sad stories up here and other forums about losing more money and time than the enjoyment of driving the car due to 2 main things:

- Under estimate the sickness of the car.
- Over estimate your ability to get the car going.

Most people buy A8 D3 because they're inexpensive but they fail to do their homework or plans.

- If you want a fishmouth car, buy the 06+, don't buy 05- and upgrade later.
- If you want all the options, buy one that has them all, don't buy and retrofit.
- If you can't buy the car you want because the current finance situation doesn't allow and have to end up with a lesser car, think again.
- If you buy older A8 for $5k less than a newer one with no problems, you may go through more than $5k to fix the old one and still only have an old car.

Again, always ask yourself a question, "why doesn't he fix the car, since it seems to be simple and inexpensive to fix and leave it like that and knock off the price $1k right of the bat?"

Cheers and good luck,

Louis
Old 03-31-2015, 06:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Walk away from that one in Dallas. The right front fender doesn't line up with the hood.
Old 03-31-2015, 09:52 PM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts

Let's call a spade a spade here guys. Both cars are clearly dogs, have not been looked after and have money pit misery written all over them.

I'd not waste my time on either of them. Much better cars out there. Although if you're looking at sub $10k examples, expect them to be rough.
Old 04-01-2015, 05:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Asked the dealer for a picture of the timing belt label and also the rear seat discoloration, which can easily be fixed:

Old 04-01-2015, 06:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts
Default It's not the fix that you should worry, it's why it is the way it is...

How long and hot under the sun for the seats to change color? I would never care about the answer, because I know it must be outside for most of its life.
I wouldn't worry about the timing belt, it's a pretty much a fixed cost depends upon the shop, $1500-2500. The other hidden broken things due to being outside would cost much more.
If you like the car so much, just buy it, there isn't any logical reason to buy a discolored seats car. Audi material is not a Hyundai material which fades easily from being exposed to the sun. Oh, may be the kids play with acid in the back and spilled some on the seats.

Cheers,

Louis
Old 04-02-2015, 04:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

one thing i do like.... the paint around the oil fill cap isnt all messed up from someone constantly adding oil recklessly in a petrol station parking lot. Anything the dealer says will be "cheap / easy" to fix, make him fix it before purchase. if it is in fact cheap / easy then it shouldn't be an issue, I would be fairly confident that the people at the dealership are very good at getting stains out of interiors though, the fact that that wasnt taken care of leads me to believe you will need to replace the seats, and he knows this. other side of the coin.... you have a car that you let people have food/drink in because you dont love or respect your audi

also, $15k is over priced for that car... period. and expect louis to be rite about some of the neglect issues.

Quick Reply: Possibly Joining the A8 Group