A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Steering Rack issue confirmation

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 10:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering Rack issue confirmation

I keep topping off my power steering fluid reservoir and it keeps going back down, but I do not see any pools of power steering anywhere under the car. Does this confirm that my steering racks seals are gone and all my fluid is going to my rack? Resulting in a needing a new rack? Is there any other way to remedy such a thing??

If that's the case, while weighing my options on dumping vs fixing, I saw on Partsgeek.com that there were two racks for sale, one was $1300 and one was $300, both are re-manufactured. Does anyone know the difference?
Here is a link to the PartsGeek page.

Thanks for any advise/ assistance.

Mokaz
Old 05-28-2015, 07:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 579 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by Mokaz
I keep topping off my power steering fluid reservoir and it keeps going back down, but I do not see any pools of power steering anywhere under the car. Does this confirm that my steering racks seals are gone and all my fluid is going to my rack? Resulting in a needing a new rack? Is there any other way to remedy such a thing??

If that's the case, while weighing my options on dumping vs fixing, I saw on Partsgeek.com that there were two racks for sale, one was $1300 and one was $300, both are re-manufactured. Does anyone know the difference?
Here is a link to the PartsGeek page.

Thanks for any advise/ assistance.

Mokaz
Yes, unfortunately you are probably correct. Make sure the fluid is not dumping onto the belly pan though, and then maybe running or blowing off when you drive. You would need to pull the belly pan to check that. Otherwise, yes, blown rack seals. If you took off the tie rod boot clamps (which are a real pain in the butt to replace before you decide to do so...) and found a bunch of fluid in there, you have the definitive answer. I had a little of that in my C5 as I confirmed when I had to do inner tie rods, but very gradual. I just added fluid once in a while.

Having done a rack on my dad's 1984 Audi 5000 turbo, an ugly job. As Mister Bally said, he thinks the very first station on the assembly line starts not with the body but rather the steering rack, and the whole car is built on top of that.

Some racks come as "short racks" with just the rack proper and others also may include the tie rod ends, or at least that's how it was many years ago with my one experience. No idea otherwise on the cost deltas you found.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 06-14-2015 at 07:15 AM.
Old 06-14-2015, 03:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

So I have my mechanic has my rack out and he found that I need a new one of these sensors. It was corroded and the plastic housing cracked.

I tried searching the part number on parts.audi.com, but I couldn't get any hits. Does anyone know what this is exactly?

Last edited by Mokaz; 06-14-2015 at 03:21 AM.
Old 06-14-2015, 06:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

I don't see anything that looks like that in the steering rack, pump or column part diagrams. It does not look familiar to me.

As far as your $1300.00 vs. $300.00 rack; I'd say one is genuine Audi reman and the other is by an independent company. I've found with VW & Audi parts you get what you pay for. But what do I know?
Old 06-14-2015, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 579 Likes on 485 Posts
Default Maybe

Like Mister Bally, I don't recognize it either. But, how about part 14 in this diagram?: Audi - A8Q - 2006 - The front axle, transfer case, steering Teile Katalog (Pats Catalog) I don't know what that part does, other than a guess it may be Servotronic (variable pressure/steering feel) regulation.

The numbers on it are not standard Audi. They are probably from the OES/manufacturer, likely a ZF. If it isn't part 14 (or something else you can find on those parts diagrams) then either the rack (including the component) would need to be replaced or you would need to find the part via the OES route.
Old 06-14-2015, 07:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Part 14 it is.

The 2004-2007 (4.2 & 6.0 engine types supported) diagram I looked at does not show that part. Maybe at first, it was only with the rack and they did not sell it individually. I would think that with a genuine Audi reman rack, you get a working one included in the assembly. However, I could be wrong about that.

I see the SRT for the rack is listed at 5.4 hours. Plus wheel alignment. Better that the dreaded Audi 5000's. I wonder if quattro on my '87 made it easier? LLLLLMFAO!!!
Old 06-15-2015, 05:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the response guys I appreciate it. One quick confirmation. Looking at some pictures on a OEM rack on ebay I can see the part that I need here

It looks like its might be the same part in the diagram, but I'm not certain. The part pointed out above is attached by two long screws, and I can't tell where exactly it goes from the diagram.

Also that thing is $440 bucks from the dealer and not much cheaper from some of the other parts dealers. This repair just is never ending.

Thanks again for all your help as always.