A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problems after disconnecting the battery 2005 A8L W12

Old 09-16-2008, 03:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems after disconnecting the battery 2005 A8L W12

Hi,

Odd things after disconnecting the battery.

I had to disconnect the battery for a while, Now after reconnection The front screen menu that normally selects the suspension settings is gone. The MMI starts straight at the menu selections.

When pressing car, then setup, there used to be 2 menu items there before, Jacking and something else... Now a message 'There are no further selections available' appears.

ABS module in VagCom reports:

Address 03: ABS Brakes Labels: 4E0-910-517.lbl
Part No SW: 4E0 910 517 C HW: 4E0 614 517 BD
Component: ESP 5.7 allrad H44 0330
Coding: 0007637
Shop #: WSC 00088 000 00000

1 Fault Found:
00003 - Control Module
014 - Defective

It wasnt before!!

Engine II

Address 11: Engine II Labels: None
Part No SW: 4E0 910 018 HW: 4E0 906 018
Component: 6.0L W12/4V G â„¢0110
Revision: --H01--- Serial number: AUX3Z0E0358299
Coding: 0011773
Shop #: WSC 00579 210 82600

1 Fault Found:
18020 - Engine Control Module Incorrectly Coded
P1612 - 004 - No Signal/Communication

Lastly - Parking brake:

Address 53: Parking Brake Labels: 4E0-910-801.lbl
Part No SW: 4E0 910 801 A HW: 4E0 907 801
Component: EPB AV1C1010 H01 1010
Revision: AV1C1010
Coding: 0000631
Shop #: WSC 01147 210 51370

1 Fault Found:
02596 - Rear Brake Pads Worn
008 - Implausible Signal
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 01111000
Fault Priority: 6
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 54
Mileage: 69488 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2003.06.18
Time: 04:45:34

Freeze Frame:
Voltage: 10.87 V
Count: 61

Look at the date!! The mileage is about 70 miles ago, but the date is way off! The pads didnt indicate worn before the disconnection as I did a scan first .

Any ideas anyone???

Thanks

Dale
Old 09-16-2008, 07:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts
Default Basic ideas

1. Reset MMI using the three button approach--hold down TEL, the center **** and the upper right soft button until it turns off, then release buttons. See if that fixes it.

2. See my late Sunday night post (item 3a.) by coincidence on a 2006 W12 about your rear brakes. At your mileage (km's), I would say your rear pads are probably indeed worn out; my calcs were 40-47K miles estimated life. If yours haven't been changed, you are right in that range (43K miles approx.). Car could have just read the pads afresh, especially if by chance it executed a pad adjustment cycle (the motor whirring noise stuff).

3. When you disconnected the battery, did it simply lose the date? Sems likely. Is it in the odometer part of the display? The 2003 date could simply be the baseline date Audi plugs into a module. If so and assuming MMI returns healthy with a reboot, just reset the date.

4. No clue on ABS or engine codes. Note the engine codes also acknowledge it lost the signal (as in, no battery...) Engine module II also has to talk to Module I on a W12, so a power failure would also disrupt that basic inter-module info. If you are out of warranty, I would just reset both the ABS and engine modules once your battery is stable (10.87 volts 61 times??) and see if it (likely) clears up. If under warranty, you probably want to bring it in codes and all.<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/a8d3/msgs/55167.phtml">My Sunday rear brake post</a></li></ul>
Old 09-16-2008, 11:21 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Basic ideas

Hi,

Tried the MMI Reboot, no dice, did nothing.

There are odd things going on, the ACC cruise lost one of its meus, the Beep (chime, cant remember) and It would only let you select Distance 1 all the time. Now I went to the shop, and both menus are back again! Nothing done in between, just sat there on the drive.

The pads on the rear have already been changed so I will check the adaption channels for info.

More concerned at the ABS 14: Defective message

Anyone else killed an ABS unit by disconnecting the battery??

Any one have any ideas about the other missing menu's, is there a way to re-set these things back to some sort of default???

Thanks

Dale

Dale
Old 09-16-2008, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Yes, check adaptation channels on the pads specifically since it should say close to 10mm if the pads are recent. Presumably that's why the message.

In general, you might want to just run it for awhile. Your early experience of things resolving as you drove to the shop seems to already be supporting that. These cars hiccup with low voltage around MMI and the instrument displays and lights. I say that from the posts I have seen, a little experience when I ran my battery down occasionally playing with things, and E's CovertW12's (another W12 compadre in the U.S.) experience with his battery's demise I recall.

If it persists, I suspect you would have to try recoding module by module. I can read mine as a baseline where everything is in order, but that's a US spec W12 rather than a UK/Europe one where it matters.

I don't recall any post of someone permanently losing either MMI or ABS with a battery demise/swap out. A few D3'ers and maybe C6'ers blew up MMI with the 4140 software upgrade.
Old 09-16-2008, 02:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hi, Any chance you could post me a scan of yours, i know its a big ask...

dale dot philpott at btconnect dot com

Does you car have adaptive cruise??

If so can you post me the coding of the cruse module as this is complaining it is incorrectly coded!

I tried to clear the error in engine II but it also compl,ains it is incorrectly coded!

Going slowly insane!!!

Thanks
Old 09-16-2008, 02:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I will try to run off later...

or I have some historical ones I saved already.

I'm thinking you mean the basic comprehensive module scans that show data at the level of the excerpts you posted. If so, my pre-existing ones should be fine. Checking adaptation down at the module level is more painstaking.

Yes I have adaptive cruise.

Of course I have engine II as a W12. A warning there though is from some obscure posts about using Lemiwinks--the now open source code to program Audi and VW ECU's. It doesn't work on dual engine controllers like the W12 has because apparently you have to write to both ECU's at the same time. They apparently look at each other on a mirrored basis and neither will take a coding change that doesn't look symetrical to the other one. That is to say, VAG COM may not be able to do anything to change one of the ECU's.

By the way, I assume you cleared engine I, but if not do so in any case. The time or two I saw a minor fault in Engine II (like a knock sensor single read), Engine I knew about it.

Hopefully it clears up, but ebay.de also has some W12 ECU's at times for not much over 100E as I recall. So little market they just sit there. The posters (salvage yards?) often don't seem to realize there are two real units (master and slave) so you need to sort which one it is by part number w/ suffix. The Euro W12 engine code is different than the U.S.; which may just be the engine controller programming. Over here we have a 130MPH limiter as an example. But again, I would bet more likely its just spurious.

Is your ABS still sick too?
Old 09-16-2008, 03:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: I will try to run off later...

Hi, Yes my ABS is still sick, I cant believe just disconnecting the battery killed it!!!

I am NOT convinced it is really faulty though, there are no Lights on the Dash panel, surely if the ABS unit was up the shoot there would be a warning light on!

This is all to do with a retrofit of the ACC cruise that I have done, although the actual retrofit of the ACC itself is not to blame as its been on the car for ages without any faults (uncoded in the gateway so it was not known to be there)

I disconnected the battery to remove the airbag on the steering wheel to change the cruise stalk.

When I reconnected the battery - dead ABS...???

Dale
Old 09-16-2008, 04:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Okay, now that sounds like it could be coding...

Of course you might want to test ABS by just stomping on the brakes when it's clear and confirming it cuts in.

Meanwhile, adaptive cruise integrates with the brakes for sure. It has to be telling the ABS system to modulate the brakes when needed, which logically is happening through the ABS controller. I'm just WAG'ing here, but with a battery disconnect it may basically do a rescan of the car when power comes back and compare it to the stored configurations in the assorted controllers. If so, it would have hit a non compute presumably around your ACC, if any of things like the stalk, the display, cruise controller or ABS don't add up to the car's last known configuration.
Old 09-16-2008, 07:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Mail sent
Old 09-18-2008, 02:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Okay, now that sounds like it could be coding...

Hi,

I tried the ABS by stomping on the brakes and it works fine but Vagcom still reports it 14: defective.

The codes from your scan are not valid on a UK W12!!!

I agree that it seems to all be down to coding, i WILL get this sorted!

Dale

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Problems after disconnecting the battery 2005 A8L W12