A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Prop'shaft centre bearing replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2016, 05:07 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prop'shaft centre bearing replacement

My '09 4.2 TDI has developed a transmission grumble. I believe that I've traced this to the centre bearing of the prop'shaft. When I push up and down on the prop'shaft I can hear a metallic 'ting ting' from the bearing area (it's up behind the exhaust and an exhaust heat shield and so not visible). The noise is more pronounced when I push on the rear section of the shaft so it could be the universal joint that is just behind the centre bearing. As far as Audi is concerned the prop'shaft is a non serviceable part and must be replaced in it's entirety; which is very expensive.

New centre bearing + support units are available from third party suppliers. Getting the shaft out doesn't appear too difficult, does anybody have any advice on splitting the shaft so that the centre bearing can be replaced ?
Old 12-05-2016, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I haven't read about this issues with the D3's but it's a reasonably common problem on A6 C5's. Unfortunately the best option is probably a new or used drive line. As it's not common you most likely won't find a company that refurbishes them.
Old 12-05-2016, 07:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

A center bearing change is a royal PITA on a D2. To make matters worse, the driveshaft is made from carbon fiber so clamping it in a vise could destroy it. The wrench needed to split the driveshaft is a special one. You best bet is to get a used or new driveshaft and replace it as an assembly.

Old 12-06-2016, 07:52 AM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by richard-tx
A center bearing change is a royal PITA on a D2. To make matters worse, the driveshaft is made from carbon fiber so clamping it in a vise could destroy it. The wrench needed to split the driveshaft is a special one. You best bet is to get a used or new driveshaft and replace it as an assembly.

The prop shaft on a D2 is carbon fiber....really? All of them or just the S8? That's very exotic.

What about the D3? Not heard about any carbon driveline parts.
Old 12-06-2016, 08:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

It was a D2 driveshaft that was carbon fiber. You will know for sure when you take it out, If it is light, then it is likely carbon fiber.
Old 12-07-2016, 04:20 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for the replies, It's a steel prop'shaft in my D3. The price of a new one is £1,426 ($1,800) but I think that this is the way to go. I've just had another look underneath to check which exhaust gaskets etc. I should be renewing and I'm now fairly certain that it's the CV joint that is the problem. When I grab both halves of the prop'shaft and move them in opposite directions I can get a very small movement both in rotation and longitudinally. The centre bearing can't contribute to this movement.
Old 12-11-2016, 04:57 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

FYI it is possible to get a new prop'shaft for the long wheelbase A8 D3 from GKN under their Spidan brand, start here GKN - WEB CATALOG and you should end up with their model 28118, or 28128 for the 4.2 FSI, I have seen this priced at half the Audi price. Unfortunately for me they don't offer a prop'shaft for the standard wheelbase car. The 28118 is 1,868 mm long, the shaft on my car, including the CV joints at each end is about 1,735 mm + a bit in the cupped flanges which makes sense as the difference in wheel base between the standard chassis and the L is 130 mm. Other than the 4.2 FSI they don't differentiate between the standard and long bodies, they also list the 28118 for the S8 but since the S8 was only built in the standard wheelbase I think that this is a mistake.