A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rain sensing wipers

Old 03-09-2014, 11:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rain sensing wipers

Anyone have the pics of what to look for to mod this? There are threads that mention J400 etc... pics are all dead and my wife desperately wants the rain sensing wipers (her '01 MB had them)

What I got from other threads
#1: Check for sensor installed behind the mirror
#2: Check for control module J400 (no clue where it is)
#3: Get in VCDS for coding
Old 03-09-2014, 05:33 PM
mcs
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

http://audiforum.us/threads/upgrade-...5.12108/page-2
Old 03-10-2014, 03:28 PM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts

Can someone who has done this mod give a summary of the parts needed and what needs to be done with them? That thread that's been linked to is extremely hard to understand.
Old 03-10-2014, 04:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

This may sound like a, "Is the power on," question but...

Are you sure you don't have the feature? This one is pretty standard. I'd be surprised if you didn't have it. Of course, I'm sure there are exceptions, but I'd be really surprised.

Wiper switch needs to be up one notch from the off position. Then the rheostat on the face of the wiper lever/switch adjusts the sensitivity (down=less, up=more).

I suggest a thorough check here first, because one of the components needed is a thin film between the windshield and the rain sensor. I don't think the film is sold as a separate part from the windshield (though I vaguely recall someone here may have sourced it?). So, at the very least, the windshield needs to come out to add the film between the rain sensor (after you retro-fit it) and the windshield. At worst (on top of all the components that would be required), the windshield would need to be replaced.

My recent experience was that no aftermarket windshield source included the film, and the installers (2 different companies) were unaware of it (after windshield was replaced twice). Windshield had to be ordered from dealer, then their preferred vendor installed it. Now all is well. Lesson learned.
Old 03-10-2014, 07:03 PM
mcs
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by FlyTyinFool
This may sound like a, "Is the power on," question but...

Are you sure you don't have the feature? This one is pretty standard. I'd be surprised if you didn't have it. Of course, I'm sure there are exceptions, but I'd be really surprised.

Wiper switch needs to be up one notch from the off position. Then the rheostat on the face of the wiper lever/switch adjusts the sensitivity (down=less, up=more).

I suggest a thorough check here first, because one of the components needed is a thin film between the windshield and the rain sensor. I don't think the film is sold as a separate part from the windshield (though I vaguely recall someone here may have sourced it?). So, at the very least, the windshield needs to come out to add the film between the rain sensor (after you retro-fit it) and the windshield. At worst (on top of all the components that would be required), the windshield would need to be replaced.

My recent experience was that no aftermarket windshield source included the film, and the installers (2 different companies) were unaware of it (after windshield was replaced twice). Windshield had to be ordered from dealer, then their preferred vendor installed it. Now all is well. Lesson learned.
The little film is only stuck to the windscreen. You can order it from spare parts. It is independent of the windscreen.
Old 03-11-2014, 04:52 AM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts

My US spec 04 A8L has auto lights but the wipers are manual. The adjuster on the lever only adjusts the timing of the wiper delay. The delay doesn't automatically adjust in response to rain amounts.
Old 03-11-2014, 07:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by dvs_dave
My US spec 04 A8L has auto lights but the wipers are manual. The adjuster on the lever only adjusts the timing of the wiper delay. The delay doesn't automatically adjust in response to rain amounts.
Mine is the same. Had to get my windshield replaced and it took 2 windshields to get it right. Apparently not all had the sensor which mine does. Wondering what it takes to get it to WORK.
Old 03-25-2014, 04:32 AM
mcs
AudiWorld Member

I have retrofitted rain sensing wipers as of today.

You need an Rain/light sensor, not just the light sensor, and the little plastic adhesive pad to attach the sensor to the windscreen.

Once installed, you need to buy the small harness and plug adapter for the roof harness and use two of the wires (red and black) in the pins at the roof plug. The green wire must be spliced into the J519 module pin 31 which is yellow/white stripe.

Once that's done, you can code the car to turn the rain/light sensor on at the central electronics module, and you must turn the light sensor on the roof module off.

Then it should all work as intended.