A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ramp Project

Old 05-07-2012, 12:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mishar
Well, I don't want to offend you either, but isn't it quite obvious? There are a number of things you can reach only from underneath your car. I like doing as much as possible myself. Not that I don't know that it could be cheaper to pay for it, but in my opinion there are very few shops I would thrust. Even fewer with A8. So instead of paying for ATF change I made my own ramp. Now I can change it the way I want. Fuel filter is next, camber alignment after that, and so on. I also have a number of friends with similar level of thrust for mechanics and same love for a bear.
Quite and effort there. I can understand the lift for possible tranny work, but as far as adjusting the camber, how are you planning on doing that? If im not mistaken, the front wheel camber is not really adjustable, you can only even out the front camber by shifting the subframe assy? And fuel filter? I was able to change out on "standard" suspension mode with no jacks.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Finally!

Pictures of something useful instead of crazyass wheels or overpriced exhaust

That. Is. Awesome.

Last edited by jakematic; 05-07-2012 at 03:09 AM. Reason: typographical error
Old 05-07-2012, 04:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You now need to find a way of mounting a jacking beam and make the side rails removable to ease wheel removal!
Old 05-07-2012, 06:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexdiamondz10304
If im not mistaken, the front wheel camber is not really adjustable, you can only even out the front camber by shifting the subframe assy? And fuel filter? I was able to change out on "standard" suspension mode with no jacks.
You are not mistaking. I want to shift the subframe a bit to the right in order to even camber angles. I hope that will fix small right pooling. Filter wise, I prefer sitting than lying on the floor. Getting a bit too old for that. Or more like already way too old for that.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Edd W
You now need to find a way of mounting a jacking beam and make the side rails removable to ease wheel removal!
Now, that's talking! Jacking beam is coming soon. Chair is in AutoCAD, but the side rails stay. They are structural. Wheels can come off as it is. Bu the way it is absolutely right height for the brake job too.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by jakematic
Finally!

Pictures of something useful instead of crazyass wheels or overpriced exhaust

That. Is. Awesome.
Thanks Jake.

Where bulb conversions omitted on purpose?
Old 05-07-2012, 08:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mishar
Thanks Jake.

Where bulb conversions omitted on purpose?
ROFLMAO
[Rolling On Floor Laughing My Audi Off]
Old 05-07-2012, 08:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice job.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That Is AWESOME! LOL
First of all you made my day! I was laughing to death! And yet! It is very good idea! The only thing I would double check is how stable it is for the side force. The reason why I’m saying that is following. When I was 15 year younger and need to fix something under the car I build 4 “stands” for the car. Lifted each side and put it under the car. So it was “lifted”. I was happy and showing it to friend and show how “stable” it is until I slightly pushed the car to one side. The car started to move to that direction and eventually grounded!!!
So, be careful. Front resistance in your construction is GREAT, but side resistance might be questionable. Double check your calculations!

Other than that I LOVE the idea! Possible I will think about the SAME!

Victor.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Thanks for the concern. Sides are well braced together for the climb up, than I plan to unbolt the front connectors in order to get easier access, but the rear ones will stay. Just from the top of my mind, without braces you would need about 1800 lbs of horizontal force in order to tilt them and than even more to flip them to the side.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ramp Project