A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ready to change my upper control arms

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 01:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Recall the vendor ( a sponsor here) claimed their parts were OEM quality. They also rented the tools when you bought their parts. I figured for $590.00 it was a great deal. Boy, did I learn a lesson. So, next go around was OEM from a dealer. Everything has a VW-Audi logo. More like $800.00 this time for the parts. Then I had to buy the special tools for another $400.00 but again, well worth it.

Still cheaper than paying a dealer to do the job. Alas, it depends on how much I value my time at. Especially my free time.
Old 06-02-2015, 07:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts
Default I think you got a bad one out of thousands...

Sometimes manufacturers or sellers rate their parts OEM, but the term may be defined very loosely. Truly, I trust American auto parts makers, they're good. These foreign names may not be as well made or quality controlled tightly. parts per millions... you got one of the bad one, the one that were made when they had too much WINE.

Cheers,

Louis
Old 05-04-2016, 05:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Finally finished the video on the Passenger side

Here we go

Cheers,

Louis
Old 05-04-2016, 06:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

Congratulations on doing it. You mentioned in video maybe the old ones were okay. In my experience, the bushings weren't. You could see the arms move very easily at the bushing connection before you removed them--more than they should. Later you commented the new ones were much stiffer once you had them in and the bolt tight; the difference in feel is the bushing wear and tear.

If you still have the old ones, stick a big Phillips screwdriver into the bushing center hole and use it to flex the bushing relative to the control arm. I expect you will see a bunch of pretty deep cracking that is a lot more evident when you have it out of the car. See my pictures at replies 19-22 of this thread: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-.../#post24620404 The ones pulled in those pictures I posted already had the bushings replaced once before by the dealer while still under warranty.

You are getting it aligned, correct?

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 05-04-2016 at 06:23 PM.
Old 05-04-2016, 08:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Haven't had time to get an alignment yet... Haven't driven much

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
You are getting it aligned, correct?
Does the A8 need a special alignment center? Can I just go to any tire store to get one on the weekend?
Yes, the bushings are weak on both sides, deep cracks, not completely torn but I think vibrations do come from these.

Cheers,

Louis
Old 05-04-2016, 10:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by ltooz_a6_a8_q7
Does the A8 need a special alignment center? Can I just go to any tire store to get one on the weekend?
Yes, the bushings are weak on both sides, deep cracks, not completely torn but I think vibrations do come from these.

Cheers,

Louis
Since you probably don't have adaptive cruise, easy call to use any competent shop. Even with adaptive cruise I have had no issues just using my indy tire and wheel shop in SJ with a standard modern alignment rack. They will normally do a four wheel alignment these days, more so w/ quattro. Definitely get one. I have been surprised that often the back is out yet with no work related changes or known big hits or any bent wheels or some such.

Give your sway bar and especially end links a good look too. They don't affect alignment, but if you have any remaining perceived issues or noises, those are what I would look at next.
Old 05-05-2016, 03:40 PM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts

Had my front upper control arm bushings and roll bar links done a couple weeks back by my Indy. He used Lemforder parts (aka ZF) so no quality concerns. So far so good, and a reasonable price too.

Alignment wise the only regular adjustment up front is toe angle. Anything else has to be done by moving the subframe which is unlikely to be out unless it was removed at some point or has taken a big hit. Rear has a couple more regular adjustments though. Toe, camber etc.
Old 05-05-2016, 08:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by dvs_dave
Had my front upper control arm bushings and roll bar links done a couple weeks back by my Indy. So far so good...
Unfortunately that says all about A8's control arms.
Old 05-05-2016, 09:43 PM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by mishar
Unfortunately that says all about A8's control arms.
I expect another 40k miles out of them. And on Chicago roads that's good going. That's what the set I just replaced managed according to its service records, and they were only just starting to go.

I know we moan about them and why can't Audi fix them, blah blah blah. But they're not particularly difficult or expensive to fix. I'd rather these get sacrificed to wear out sooner rather than some other more expensive components which is what would happen if the upper bushings were more durable. This is because the other suspension components would then be subjected to greater loads.

I don't for a second think that Audi can't figure out a more durable design. I think it's intentional and it's no coincidence that it still affects the D4 and other newer Audi models with the same general suspension design. Sure they could put tougher more durable bushings in that last 100k miles, but then we'd all be up in arms about cracked suspension pickup points ala BMW M3, or some other much more serious to fix issue.
Old 05-06-2016, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Now it would take me less than 1 hour to replace all Control Arms

it's been a year, and everything on my CA are still intact.

Cheers,

Louis

Quick Reply: Ready to change my upper control arms