A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear brake pad replacement

Old 04-11-2014, 10:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear brake pad replacement

I used vcds to open the piston, but know I can not move the caliper in to replace the pads.

Any ideas?
Old 04-11-2014, 10:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

It only winds in the EPB, it doesn't PULL the pison back.
You may now have to lever against the carrier and pad or some such to push it back hydraulically as with conventional brakes. You may also need to use a wind back tool in non-rotating mode or G clamp to get it back enough to install new pads.
Old 04-11-2014, 10:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by snapdragon
You may now have to lever against the carrier and pad or some such to push it back hydraulically as with conventional brakes. You may also need to use a wind back tool in non-rotating mode or G clamp to get it back enough to install new pads.
I applied a-lot of pressure to the piston and no movement. It's a 2006 A8L, I'm not sure if I would need a tool to wind the piston back in.
Old 04-11-2014, 10:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Please shoot some pictures - I'm going to do mine soon

Hope you get the job done without any problems.

Cheers,

Louis
Old 04-11-2014, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by snapdragon
I applied a-lot of pressure to the piston and no movement. It's a 2006 A8L, I'm not sure if I would need a tool to wind the piston back in.
Old 04-11-2014, 10:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts
Default Something is wrong--it should wind it back in and fully release pads...

I have had my pads (2006) out to change at least three time now. When I use VAG COM/VCDS, it definitely winds everything to full open on mine, piston absolutely included, and the new pads slip right in. No prying, no turning, no special tricks.

Having owned the C5 and C4 with the auto parking brake adjust rear calipers when they still used manual cables, I definitely know about the "old" need to wind things in, but the D3 set up isn't like that. Sounds like something isn't working as designed.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 04-11-2014 at 10:34 AM.
Old 04-11-2014, 10:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts
Default This is nice to know... But

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
I have had my pads (2006) out to change at least three time now. When I use VAG COM/VCDS, it definitely winds everything to full open on mine, piston absolutely included, and the new pads slip right in. No prying, no turning, no special tricks.
Everyone seems to have different problems with pistons retracting. Did anyone did a write up with pictures and videos on these eBrakes? For some reasons, my rear brakes haven't thrown a warning yet, I'd replaced the front already - both of the brakes were replaced at 55k miles and now it's 90k miles.

Cheers,

Louis
Old 04-11-2014, 11:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

VDCS should retract pads. BUT on my 2004 I was able to turn the piston to make it retract. BUT don't turn the rubber seal just the piston.
Old 04-11-2014, 11:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0

Having owned the C5 and C4 with the auto parking brake adjust rear calipers when they still used manual cables, I definitely know about the "old" need to wind things in, but the D3 set up isn't like that. Sounds like something isn't working as designed.
I agree, there is definitely something wrong. I can here the motors retracting the brake, but the piston barely comes of the disc.
Old 04-11-2014, 11:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Side note! The parking brake malfunction light was on before I started. The EPB would set and release but the light stayed on.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear brake pad replacement