A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Heated Screen Temp Function?

Old 09-29-2016, 11:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Heated Screen Temp Function?

My first job after buying the car was to have the rear screen refitted because it was letting in water. It's the laminated solar screen, so doesn't have the visible brown heating elements on the inside. It has really thin wire embedded into the glass.

It's just beginning to get cooler in the mornings and I find the screen is often misted up but when I press the screen heater, the yellow LED lights on the button but the screen doesn't demist.

The glazers that refitted the screen came out to check the connections and all are in place with no signs of wear. No fault codes are on the VCDS scan.

Is my screen heater not working, or is there a temperature above which it doesn't turn on? Both times I've tried it, it's been around 13°C (55°F), which isn't exactly cold but the screen was misted up with morning dew.

Otherwise, if anyone has any idea where I can find a fix, or a test I could try to be sure whether or not it's working, I'd really appreciate it.
Old 09-29-2016, 11:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

My 2005 as well as my 2013 A8's both have visible lines on the rear window for the heating function.
Old 09-29-2016, 12:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by the_duke
My 2005 as well as my 2013 A8's both have visible lines on the rear window for the heating function.
Thanks for the reply. Apparently, the laminated screen did away with the conventional brown lines and used fine wire, like you get on some heated Ford front screens.
Old 09-29-2016, 01:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

My 2013 has dual pane/laminated glass in the side doors but the rear window is as I described above. I've never seen anything like what you are describing.
Old 09-29-2016, 01:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

My 2013 has dual pane/laminated glass in the side doors but the rear window is as I described above. I've never seen anything like what you are describing.
Is it the solar glass too? Mine is purpley in colour.
Old 09-29-2016, 02:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

It is not. That isn't an option in the US.
Old 09-29-2016, 07:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo Tony
Is it the solar glass too? Mine is purpley in colour.
Check the markings/makers stamp on the rear glass. It would be helpful to see a picture of them.
Old 09-29-2016, 08:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

Look in owner's manual. Temp related deactivation (if it is present) is probably described there. I think it may apply to side mirrors, but don't remember on rear glass. North America doesn't have the solar glass type options either, so unlikely to find specific experience on it here. The U.S. ones have the elements bonded to the inside surface of the glass.
Old 09-30-2016, 10:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks very much for the replies.

I'm not at home tonight, but I'll post a pic of the markings if you think it'll help. I do remember it's an original Audi screen (albeit with an aftermarket tint film applied).

I'll re-check the manual. I did read it cover to cover when I first bought the car but I don't remember a temp cutoff. Good idea though.

Maybe I'm over-simplifying it, but I would have thought that if a cutoff does exist, it would be the same for laminated and conventional screens. If you guys haven't noticed a temp cutoff on your screens its doubtful I have one on mine, which means it's probably a fault.
Old 10-04-2016, 12:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts

Edit: Duke,
I stand corrected....

I went back out and checked all the glass in the A8L and the Bentley, the B has laminated all around, even the rear windshield with the tiny lines, but the A8L only has the front and sides laminated, and only the front windshield is solar/IR, whereas the B has both front and rear with solar/IR, SORRY for my confusion....
At least now I know if I ever end up in the water I can use a spring loaded center punch to blow out the rear windshield..... End Edit:

Hello Duke,
Just so you know, if you have the laminated glass package, then every piece of glass in the vehicle is laminated, even the rear windshield, my 04 did not have it therefore the rear glass was not "GUARDIAN" as is the 05 with the laminate package shown in picture, Also I have attached some pictures of my "B" glass to show the very tiny lines in the rear window, and although I am not sure yet my front B windshield does have a color to it and electrical wires going to it at the base, I remember the heated windshields back in the 70's on the Lincolns and fords, those cars actually had two alternators, one just for the heated windshield.

Attached Thumbnails Rear Heated Screen Temp Function?-20161004_155438.jpg   Rear Heated Screen Temp Function?-20161004_155143.jpg   Rear Heated Screen Temp Function?-20161004_155416.jpg   Rear Heated Screen Temp Function?-20161004_155546.jpg  

Last edited by Giovanni Giovino 6.0+6.0TT; 10-06-2016 at 12:01 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear Heated Screen Temp Function?