A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rebuilt Strut - Ebay - anyone with experience?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 01:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rebuilt Strut - Ebay - anyone with experience?

My 2005 A8 Base model is having some suspension issues. I haven't taken it in yet, but I would like to educate myself on some sources for rebuilt parts.

I am aware of Arnott for about $700 plus core.

However, I see 'Rebuild Master Tech' on ebay for ~$375, plus core.

Front Right Air Shock Strut Audi A8 | eBay

Has anyone purchased these from ebay?

I see they have a website but they are $650 on that site.

Thanks in advance,
Old 12-14-2014, 06:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Just installed one today. Excellent product, shipped quickly. Have nothing bad to say about them except that it came filled with air so it was a bit of a squeeze to install, so more of a learning moment for me. Had to undo/disconnect the sway bar end link and then it was a breeze. So save yourself the time and undo the sway bar end link before you try wrestling around for 1/2hour like me. I will be ordering an additional one as the alternate side is leaking so maybe you could refer me when you purchase it Pretty simple process, I followed the Arnott instructions on ebay and just had to add removing sway bar end link bolt on reinstallation. Cheers and good luck!
Old 12-14-2014, 06:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Let us know how they hold up.

Originally Posted by 707chris
Just installed one today. Excellent product, shipped quickly. Have nothing bad to say about them except that it came filled with air so it was a bit of a squeeze to install, so more of a learning moment for me. Had to undo/disconnect the sway bar end link and then it was a breeze. So save yourself the time and undo the sway bar end link before you try wrestling around for 1/2hour like me. I will be ordering an additional one as the alternate side is leaking so maybe you could refer me when you purchase it Pretty simple process, I followed the Arnott instructions on ebay and just had to add removing sway bar end link bolt on reinstallation. Cheers and good luck!
The Arnott is the reconized leader here. But I think you are just purchasing a used one that is cleaned up, painted, and has a new air bag. They do airbag rebuilds for many vehicles. Also partsgeek has the Arnott for 100.00 less per shock than the factory website.
375.00 sounds about right for what is done to these. None of the rebuilders touch the dampening. At least none I have found. That would be worth the price.
Read where the electronuc control dampers never wear out. Then also read where Arnott checks this and does not rebuild shocks that have degraded more than 30%. So the lifetime may be like the transmission fluid and differential grease. When it is worn out, the lifetime is over.
Old 12-14-2014, 06:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Panelhead
The Arnott is the reconized leader here. But I think you are just purchasing a used one that is cleaned up, painted, and has a new air bag. They do airbag rebuilds for many vehicles. Also partsgeek has the Arnott for 100.00 less per shock than the factory website.
375.00 sounds about right for what is done to these. None of the rebuilders touch the dampening. At least none I have found. That would be worth the price.
Read where the electronuc control dampers never wear out. Then also read where Arnott checks this and does not rebuild shocks that have degraded more than 30%. So the lifetime may be like the transmission fluid and differential grease. When it is worn out, the lifetime is over.
Panelhead do you have any articles I could read up on on Rebuild Master Tech's rebuilding methods or was that you an assumption? Either way good thing they offer a lifetime warranty on their shocks. Arnott offers a limited 2 year. Beat on the price and warranty. Regardless Id rather replace a shock every 2-3 years and not have to pay for it then have too and pay more. But thats just me.
Old 12-14-2014, 06:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the feedback
Old 12-14-2014, 07:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

I had one from rebuild master tech. Quality seemed good, but it blew out after 3 months, and it blew with a big bang, and the front end dropped. I think this must have been a rare problem, never heard one blow before. Needless to say, they overnighted another one to me. About 4 months on that one so far, and no problems.
Old 12-15-2014, 02:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by 707chris
Panelhead do you have any articles I could read up on on Rebuild Master Tech's rebuilding methods or was that you an assumption? Either way good thing they offer a lifetime warranty on their shocks. Arnott offers a limited 2 year. Beat on the price and warranty. Regardless Id rather replace a shock every 2-3 years and not have to pay for it then have too and pay more. But thats just me.
The warrenty is a great feature. I did look this up, and several seals and o-rings are replaced. I assume both companies do that.
The rears must not fail. No rebuilt rear shocks available, maybe the lack of cores to work with.
Arnott told me that they would have rears, last Spring.
The factory shocks failure mode seems to be a slowleak, then gets worse. The failure of the MTR shock is not normal, but these are now 8 -10 year old shocks they are rebuilding. Something inside may have failed completely to cause such a quick failure.
I take it easy over speed bumps, and try to miss the major pot holes. And run around in automatic ride height. Hope to never need to decide on a used pull, Anrnott, or RMT. Saw the RMT for 700.00/pair plus cores on eBay. That is getting reasonable.
Old 12-15-2014, 05:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

I understand Arnott will be repairing/rebuilding the hydraulic shock assembly in the Conti air struts very soon.
Old 12-15-2014, 07:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have done business with Rebuild Master Tech and they have EXCELLENT customer service. They stand by all of their products and will work with you if there are any issues.
Old 12-15-2014, 08:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Now they are talking

Originally Posted by Mister Bally
I understand Arnott will be repairing/rebuilding the hydraulic shock assembly in the Conti air struts very soon.
This is good news. With the hydraulic rebuild these should be as good as a new one.

Quick Reply: Rebuilt Strut - Ebay - anyone with experience?