A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recourse For Shop Breaking Parts

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I've had mine in the service position a couple of times and can see how they could break it if they weren't careful. 100% their fault and you shouldn't have to pay a dime. Carelessness is what caused the issue not the age of the car.
Old 08-24-2016, 03:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg5OH
jeeez.
I have never, ever been to an auto repair shop for any of my cars. i jsut can't trust them.
Even if im in over my head on something, dont know what im doing, I learn.
and if I break it, nobody to get mad at and fight with other than myself.

I understand if the car is your only one though and don't have the know how or tools to do it though, not everyone does. Its just a shame though.
I try to avoid them as well, and this is exactly why. In this case, it was more convenient for me though. Or so I thought! I do miss having two vehicles, and this is one of the reasons why.

Originally Posted by dvs_dave
Sometimes **** happens and things break, especially on an older, maybe slightly corroded car.

The way I would frame it to them is throw things back at them whilst compromising on your side a little too. Given that they mentioned the condition of the vehicle as a justification, you need to say to them that any competent shop should have consequently been mindful that the condenser pipe my break whilst moving it out of the way. So a good shop should have called you and said that they need to disconnect and remove the condenser to prevent risking breaking it so an ac regas will be needed.

Now given the age of your car, I can virtually guarantee that your ac is probably in need of a regas anyway. So offer to pay for this as you'll see a benefit, but the condenser is on them because they were cutting corners.
I understand sometimes these things happen. I expected something like the crankshaft pulley bolts being frozen to happen; that's not unusual on an older vehicle. A condenser is a pretty substantial part to break though. It's pretty ballsy to tell me that you broke it, and tell me that I'm paying for it too. My AC has worked great all summer. It could be a little low; who knows. But, I didn't feel as though I should have to compromise at all.

I spoke with the manager today, who finally agreed that they would cover the costs of the condenser and the AC recharge. I'm glad it didn't have to go any further, but also a slightly disappointed, as I've had good experiences with this shop up until this point. I'll be skeptical to use them for any repairs in the future now.
Old 08-24-2016, 04:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by the_duke
I've had mine in the service position a couple of times and can see how they could break it if they weren't careful. 100% their fault and you shouldn't have to pay a dime. Carelessness is what caused the issue not the age of the car.
They claimed that removal of the condenser and radiator, and complete removal of the bumper cover was not a part of the service position. I tried to understand how they would be able to replace the water pump, thermostat, and all of the pulleys without removing those items. This also contradicts what the dealership, and several DIYs have told me.
Old 08-24-2016, 04:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

I'll only say that I have dealt with seized connections on AC condensors before. No amount of heat & penetrating oil would break it free. I then removed the hose with the condensor by disconnecting the hose at the other end.

I wouldn't rule out galvanic corrosion. The bolts are steel and the hose mount & condensor are aluminum.
Old 08-24-2016, 04:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

I would never own an Audi if I have to take it to a shop to get things done. People will have bad days, and I sure don't want them to have theirs while working on my car.
Hope the nightmare be over soon. Make sure the belt and everything else put back correctly.
Cheers,
Louis
Old 08-24-2016, 04:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Mister Bally
I'll only say that I have dealt with seized connections on AC condensors before. No amount of heat & penetrating oil would break it free. I then removed the hose with the condensor by disconnecting the hose at the other end.

I wouldn't rule out galvanic corrosion. The bolts are steel and the hose mount & condensor are aluminum.
I wouldn't doubt it if there was some corrosion that played a role in the break. But, they never actually mentioned that, and changed the story from "we broke it" to "it's your fault because of the condition it was in".

If they had told me it was corroded, and needed to be disconnected and then recharged in order to get the job done, I would have been completely OK with that.