A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing B & O door speaker

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 06:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Aceler8
I would just unplug the speaker. Bass is omnidirectional so I doubt you will hear any difference or loose bass. Plus, i'm sure there are subwoofer(s) in your system so you will not lose much if anything.
Trying to blend in a different type of speaker will make sound worse.
Thanks, I do plan on adding an aftermarket amp, will try the repair kit first and if it wont work well, I'll just unplug it to see how it sounds
Originally Posted by richard-tx
I would also contact Simply Speakers as they may have a surround repair kit.

Here is one of their products.

https://www.amazon.com/Olufsen-Speak.../dp/B009DNMBJ8

You may have to give them the surround OD.

Another source for drivers is Vifa/Typhany. Scanspeak and Vifa are also well known makers.

Peerless Driver Manufacturer - Tymphany Audio Systems | Tymphany
Thanks, for that price its worth to try it out
Old 02-27-2017, 10:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by BASARAB
Thanks, I do plan on adding an aftermarket amp, will try the repair kit first and if it wont work well, I'll just unplug it to see how it sounds
there was someone who added an aftermarket amp recently so if you find that thread it may help.
Old 04-23-2018, 06:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Thanks, for that price its worth to try it out
Hi, BASARAB
did you every try this repair kit? just wondering if it worked out, and how the size was for the speaker.
Old 04-23-2018, 07:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Sci-fi_Wasabi
Hi, BASARAB
did you every try this repair kit? just wondering if it worked out, and how the size was for the speaker.
Did not work out. I sent it out to a professional audio guy in different state and he fixed it for me.
Old 04-23-2018, 08:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Did not work out. I sent it out to a professional audio guy in different state and he fixed it for me.
Thanks, This is exactly how the speakers disintegrated in my Acura (after 15 years), so I'm assuming with enough time this is how my B&O's will eventually go too.
Would you be able to share the cost range of the services and how you went about finding someone to fix it. Thanks.
Old 04-24-2018, 04:42 AM
Back axle behind the ears

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Aceler8
there was someone who added an aftermarket amp recently so if you find that thread it may help.
Maybe you're referring to this guy, TSHong, he put aftermarket amp and sub in...??

Old 04-24-2018, 04:44 AM

Received the speakers (used 4ohm one after measuring the stock) and it was the right size, but had to drill mounting holes a bit for better fitment.
Unfortunately, this speaker distorts and since stock B & O amp pumps 125w per channel, I assume I just need a better speaker.
After lots of researching the only speaker, which appear to fit, is Morel MW-144 4ohm version. It has 150w RMS, so hopefully it will be fine.
Believe it or not, the only other available 5 1/2 4 ohm woofer with over 100w power is https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.co...idrange-4-ohm/
apparently its a very rare size

P.S. The damage on the stock speaker is weird, I doubt it could have blowned up by itself like that

That Morel one looks the bizzo, has anyone ever put that in their D3....??
Old 04-24-2018, 04:47 AM

And that is absolutely shocking from a supposed reputable speaker/hifi manufacturer, even more so given the price when new...

Old 04-24-2018, 02:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mixja23
That Morel one looks the bizzo, has anyone ever put that in their D3....??
I have. It was distorting also
Old 04-24-2018, 02:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Sci-fi_Wasabi
Thanks, This is exactly how the speakers disintegrated in my Acura (after 15 years), so I'm assuming with enough time this is how my B&O's will eventually go too.
Would you be able to share the cost range of the services and how you went about finding someone to fix it. Thanks.
I just googled foam speaker foam repair shop or something like that, found a guy in Ohio, Orban Audio, sent it to him and he put a new foam on it. $40 plus shipping back and forth. I should have done it from the beginning instead of spending money on other speakers.
I actually removed my aftermarket subwoofer now, after the two front speakers got fixed. With the surround setting turned off and sound set to Front, there is enough Bass for me now

Quick Reply: Replacing B & O door speaker