A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S8 D3 Boot latch Issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 07:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts
Default Yes, motor that controls the latch is separate

Also, the latch itself which has its own wear/defect in some plastic elements that sometimes fixes problem. Some of us have found that to be a fix, more so the later ones that already had the replaced hinges and at least the second gen motor with better torque. Trunk also needs to come up somewhat for motor to take over and lift--and not be pulled back closed--and yet another twist is in there. Audi also rev'ed the part #'s for the little stops you see in the two trunk lid lower corners from ones that were simple rubber, to ones that had a spring loaded pin to help trunk lid pop, to back again to plain rubber.

The trunk motor is the expensive one of the bunch--by a lot. So if it is lifting cleanly once it gets going, I would look at the other elements along the way.
Old 01-21-2015, 09:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same problem, in that using the in-car release button or simply trying the latch on the trunk lid causes the motor to run but fails to lift the lid. The lid does close on its own.

I went to the dealer earlier this week to track down why I was getting a Sirius linking issue (they said the sat-radio module needed to be replaced, for $1071). The dealer looked at the trunk and told me that "torquing" by the trunk motor had bent the hinges slightly, resulting in the motor being unable to lift the trunk lid. Price to fix this issue = $1600. I said that I would think about it - I'll think about fixing it myself or having my indie mechanic repair this.
Old 01-21-2015, 09:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by seamore2001
I have the same problem, in that using the in-car release button or simply trying the latch on the trunk lid causes the motor to run but fails to lift the lid. The lid does close on its own.

I went to the dealer earlier this week to track down why I was getting a Sirius linking issue (they said the sat-radio module needed to be replaced, for $1071). The dealer looked at the trunk and told me that "torquing" by the trunk motor had bent the hinges slightly, resulting in the motor being unable to lift the trunk lid. Price to fix this issue = $1600. I said that I would think about it - I'll think about fixing it myself or having my indie mechanic repair this.
4E0910593G Replacing few minutes.

4E0827852H Replacing half hour max.

No wonder people call them stealers.
Old 01-21-2015, 03:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mishar
4E0910593G Replacing few minutes.

4E0827852H Replacing half hour max.

No wonder people call them stealers.
Mishar,

Many thanks - I had not yet run across AudiUSAparts.com - what's fascinating is that the combined value of those parts are less than either job quoted by the dealer. Stealer indeed!
Old 01-22-2015, 07:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

I was going do post my fix for the trunk motor after a throughout test over our mild winters here in ATL. I bought my car with the black plastic bodied trunk motor. It would not go down or up unless you helped it. After reading all the post, I replaced the motor with the updated aluminum bodied motor. That worked perfectly for about a year. After that, it did the same thing, it would try go go up for about a couple of inches and re-latch in the closed position.

I went trough the Audi TSB on the trunk motor issue. Had the right trunk shocks. Tried to tweak the right hinge. Lubed with a dry silicone lubricant. It would work for a day or two but would not go up after that. Then I was going to replace the latches and had a thought. If the lube was helping but drying out after a couple of days, let me try more of a permanent lube.

Then I used a spray on graphite lube on all the lube points. This stuff adheres to the surface. This took a couple of days to work itself out but the trunk has been working ever since for about 4 months now. Hopefully for me this is the last thing I have to do with the trunk.

I think if I replaced the hinges, that would have worked too. I believe that the hinges can bend but they also loose their lubricating properties ant the joints and that is also a contributing factor as well.
Old 01-26-2015, 02:56 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Quick Update:

Having inspected, I do indeed have the later aluminium bodied boot release motor. I checked all hinges etc and lubricated all round including the latch mechanism. For a while I thought I'd cracked it because the latch released fine on several consecutive attempts, and then unfortunately the latch failed to release again. I'm convinced the motor is fine, as it makes no strange noises and otherwise operates fine - Its the latch which seems to get jammed on occasion and needs coaxing. I think I'll just take it to the dealer and get them to figure it out, fingers crossed its warranty covered.

Thanks all for your guidance and input.
Old 01-26-2015, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Zaytar
Thanks all for your guidance and input.
Don't mention it. You didn't use any of our advises anyways.