A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S8 - How to check power steering fluid and replace air filters

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 10:58 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

was there a big difference with the k&N filters?
Old 09-14-2012, 12:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by s8v10
was there a big difference with the k&N filters?
No; no notice in difference whatsoever. Just the possibility to foul your MAF if you over oil, and the bonus of only having to pay $10 on cleaning and re-oil box every 3 re-oils and cleans, vs paying $30-40 for a new filter every time.

P.S. I've had a K&N in my 4.2L A8 for about 60k miles, no issues whatsoever. I also know how to properly oil and fully dry out the filter before putting it in. I take my time
Old 09-14-2012, 02:44 PM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Nice !!!

Brozee

I like what you did here.

Popular Topics & Help for Noobies:
Oil Change Procedure
AMI Installation
AMI Update (Phone not pairing)
Remote Window Control
Enable Hidden Menu & Enable Battery Meter
Fog Light Replacement
City Light Bulb Replacement
Door, Trunk, & Glove Box LED Change
Cabin Air Filter Change
Maintenance & Common Problems
Old 09-16-2012, 06:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Brozee
No; no notice in difference whatsoever. Just the possibility to foul your MAF if you over oil, and the bonus of only having to pay $10 on cleaning and re-oil box every 3 re-oils and cleans, vs paying $30-40 for a new filter every time.

P.S. I've had a K&N in my 4.2L A8 for about 60k miles, no issues whatsoever. I also know how to properly oil and fully dry out the filter before putting it in. I take my time

I'm not sure I agree with the "no notice in difference.". I've logged almost 20k miles since I did my filter change (2) and I'm getting 2 more mpg's -- hwy. I only re oil mine every third cleaning (which reminds me that I'm due).
Old 09-16-2012, 07:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I haven't noticed a difference in gas mileage no matter what I've done. Change air filter, new spark plugs, trans flush.. anything. 2 mpg increase from a simple filter swap is debatable. I'm not sure on that one.. But hey I believe you if you say it worked in your instance. (Plus you have two filters in a higher performance motor btw what do you average mpg wise in your s8?

Last edited by Brozee; 09-16-2012 at 08:29 PM.
Old 09-17-2012, 03:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Brozee
I haven't noticed a difference in gas mileage no matter what I've done. Change air filter, new spark plugs, trans flush.. anything. 2 mpg increase from a simple filter swap is debatable. I'm not sure on that one.. But hey I believe you if you say it worked in your instance. (Plus you have two filters in a higher performance motor btw what do you average mpg wise in your s8?

EPA says 19 hwy and I was getting that before the filters swap. I can get 21 on long trips if I behave and don't make 120mph+ stabs at the gas pedal anywhere. Then I'm in the 17mpg range. Sometimes ya just have to screw around so I usually "behave" when the family's in the car.

Around town I'm seeing 15-17mpg's......ish.....

On track it's more like 4. Lol
Old 09-17-2012, 05:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Less intake air resistance can't produce better millage. It is not to be mixed with aerodynamic air resistance of a car. Totally clogged air filter acts just like limited gas pedal travel. Lower intake air resistance can produce more power. Not much more.
Old 09-17-2012, 05:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mishar
Less intake air resistance can't produce better millage. It is not to be mixed with aerodynamic air resistance of a car. Totally clogged air filter acts just like limited gas pedal travel. Lower intake air resistance can produce more power. Not much more.

.....soooo, less intake air resistance CAN produce better mileage. I don't have any mileage data from having used fresh paper filters on this car but I can tell you they flow far less cfm than K&N's do. See a K&N in-store display sometime. They really do make a difference. That, plus being re useable makes them economic to the user and creates less land fill....even if by only a little.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by A8 LOOONG
.....soooo, less intake air resistance CAN produce better mileage.
.....noooo, only a bit more power.

I don't have any mileage data from having used fresh paper filters on this car but I can tell you they flow far less cfm than K&N's do. See a K&N in-store display sometime. They really do make a difference. That, plus being re useable makes them economic to the user and creates less land fill....even if by only a little.
I agree about "green power" of those, may be even economic, if that really makes any difference, but more cfm means less filtering and more and bigger particles in your engine. So as your car is going to last shorter there goes economic effect and green effect too. What for? That once in a while when you really floor it you get to the ticket level one millisecond earlier.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mishar
.....noooo, only a bit more power.

I agree about "green power" of those, may be even economic, if that really makes any difference, but more cfm means less filtering and more and bigger particles in your engine. So as your car is going to last shorter there goes economic effect and green effect too. What for? That once in a while when you really floor it you get to the ticket level one millisecond earlier.
Eh, you just made an assumption about micro flow and gross particulate filtration. Perhaps the K&N's are better at micro channel short length pathways where paper filters flow air through treacherous pathes instead? Same filtration max defect size but longer, more complex pathes. That would certainly slow flow and be less efficient.

Quick Reply: S8 - How to check power steering fluid and replace air filters