A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S8 in my future?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 05:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default S8 in my future?

So I did a really bad thing.... I drove an S8 without telling my wife, and now the 2009 A6 3.0t may be on the chopping block.

I want to reach out to you folks to see if there are any 'typical' issues I should be looking out for prior to making the plunge.

The car in question is a MY 2007 S8 with 120k kms on the clock. No repair history, clean car fax - I need to see if TB and water pump have been done and what's left on the brakes- any other gotchas that you folks are familiar with I should be looking into in order to achieve V10 nirvana in my life?

Funny thing is that a year and a half ago I switched from a 2.0T A4 (2010) to the A6 because I could not stand the sound of the little engine. Now it would seem that I prefer 5.2L V10 to a supercharged V6.

Thanks in advance!!!
Old 07-03-2014, 06:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

No timing belt to worry about on that engine. Water pump gets replaced only when noises or leaks occur.
Old 07-03-2014, 10:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No need to tell the wife. Just show up one day & surprise her with the really big back seat which will hold a Nerf baseball bat that she can swat you with on your way to the dealership. I own one of these & it is truly like dating a coke-sniffing stripper. I love the car
Old 07-04-2014, 03:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by N2AK
I own one of these & it is truly like dating a coke-sniffing stripper. I love the car
If I end up getting the S8- I may just name her Tiffany, Kiki or Candi in tribute to this statement - I could not agree more :-)

I did not realize that this engine did not have a timing belt - clearly some more reading to do!

By the way here is the pic of the car I am considering..
Attached Images  

Last edited by thxguy; 07-04-2014 at 03:31 AM.
Old 07-04-2014, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

What other options does this S8 come with? B/O speaker upgrade? Carbon fiber as opposed to woodgrain?
front control arms typically last 60-80k. Front struts can have issues after time and the air bags will leak. Obtaining a VCDS scan or tool itself is a must.

I didn't tell the wife....we had to travel from CT to NH for a "test ride" I already had financing and insurance in place. The woman at the dealership walks us through, points over to the car and says "there's your car, all detailed and with a full tank of fuel" Wifey pulls me aside... "your car? What did she mean your car?? Wtf did you do? Classic response.
Do read more on the forum to see what other issues may be applicable to this car, then go over it with a fine tooth comb. Make sure to test all electronic items as there are a ton of them!
good luck
Old 07-07-2014, 11:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by N2AK
No need to tell the wife. Just show up one day & surprise her with the really big back seat which will hold a Nerf baseball bat that she can swat you with on your way to the dealership. I own one of these & it is truly like dating a coke-sniffing stripper. I love the car
Having just bought one, I can agree with the "coke-sniffing stripper" part. I have found my self making any excuse to go for a drive. Yesterday i "needed" milk.
Old 07-07-2014, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 1Wasserwerks
Wifey pulls me aside... "your car? What did she mean your car?? Wtf did you do? Classic response.
This is where I lost my coffee
Old 07-07-2014, 01:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 1Wasserwerks
What other options does this S8 come with? B/O speaker upgrade? Carbon fiber as opposed to woodgrain?
front control arms typically last 60-80k. Front struts can have issues after time and the air bags will leak. Obtaining a VCDS scan or tool itself is a must.

I didn't tell the wife....we had to travel from CT to NH for a "test ride" I already had financing and insurance in place. The woman at the dealership walks us through, points over to the car and says "there's your car, all detailed and with a full tank of fuel" Wifey pulls me aside... "your car? What did she mean your car?? Wtf did you do? Classic response.
Do read more on the forum to see what other issues may be applicable to this car, then go over it with a fine tooth comb. Make sure to test all electronic items as there are a ton of them!
good luck
Good to see so many of us luxury gear heads are in the same boat! It has the Carbon trim, but no B&O (unfortunately) no iPod and no Blind Spot-

I will keep reading around to see what else to look out for - this is what I have found on the car so far..

1. Ignition coils were replaced @ 54,000 km in 2010 (currently has 120,000 km on the car)
2. Brake fluid was replaced under warranty @ 30,000 km - Wonder why?
3. Sunroof fix @ 26,000km- I assume the drain issue?
4. some random door / roof trim moulding repairs - all under warranty.
5. Fuel pump, sperator, and a whole bunch of gaskets, clips & hoses replaced @ 87,000km
Any big things that should have been replaced or addressed @ 120,000 ams

Thanks in advance folks!
Old 07-07-2014, 01:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

I love this car -- amazing luxury and extremely impressive handling in dynamic mode. Limo-like ride in the other settings. Pretty much perfect, even if it is not the most fuel efficient car (though much better than expected) and inviting of some potentially costly repairs now and again.
Old 07-07-2014, 02:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by thxguy
2. Brake fluid was replaced under warranty @ 30,000 km - Wonder why?
That was actually maintenance. You should do it again if you buy it.

Quick Reply: S8 in my future?