A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S8 x pipe options

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 09:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default S8 x pipe options

I found two options;
http://www.supersprintna.com/categor...ategory_id/139
http://www.gmgracing.com/audi_exhaust_gmg_wcs8.shtml

Has anyone used either?

The $1500 GMG Sport Center Section (x pipe) looks like a straight forward install; the back slips over the rear resonator pipes which leads into the mufflers, and three bolt flanges on the front attaches to the down pipes from the engine.

The $730 Supersprint X-Pipe has no flanges according to the picture, but looks about as long as the GMG.
Do flanges need to be welded on, is the picture wrong and it has flanges, or does the $812 Front Connecting Pipes also need to be used?
Old 01-12-2011, 02:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm going to preface this by saying I have no experience with either pipe... BUT... My business is performance car parts albeit for a much cheaper platform (GM W Bodies).

Nonetheless, exhaust piping is exhaust piping. From what I see, they're just offering two different ways of accomplishing the same goal but I'd have some concerns about the cheaper pipe.

The cheaper pipe looks like it relies on the stock flanges and you just cut the stock pipe and weld that in as a replacement. There's no problem with doing it this way unless the stock flanges are a restriction themselves. So I'd contact the GMG and ask them if their flanges are any bigger than stock. If they are, then I'd assume the stock flanges are a restriction and my vote would go to the GMG pipe.

My other concern with the Supersprint pipe is that even though they say it's mandrel bent, the pipes appear to get smaller on the rear bends. So I'd ask them about that. Other than that, it appears to be aluminized versus stainless steel which accounts for much of the price difference but can be an issue if you're in the rust belt.

If it were my car, I'd go with the cheaper pipe and with install you'll probably be under $1000 out the door.
Old 01-12-2011, 03:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks Mike_k.
I agree, the bends don't look as good as the GMG, but Supersprint says it's 304 SS.

Where the GMG replaces only the front two resonators with an x pipe, it looks like the Supersprint is a complete system, including mufflers, that replaces all four resonators;
http://www.lltek.com/audigate/html/a..._fiber_kit.htm

I like the look of the OEM muffler tips, so I don't need the $2500 Supersprint pair.

Perhaps I can break the OEM pipe between the resonator and muffler, then attach the X-Pipe and Front Connecting Pipes between that and the down pipes;

Separate the exhaust pipes at the separating point -arrows- using Chain Pipe Cutter -VAS 6254- at a right angle.

Position clamping sleeves -arrows- at center of separating cut.
Attached Images   
Old 01-12-2011, 08:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by EHLO
Perhaps I can break the OEM pipe between the resonator and muffler, then attach the X-Pipe and Front Connecting Pipes between that and the down pipes;
I don't see any reason you couldn't.
Old 01-13-2011, 06:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

I take back what I wrote about Supersprint's bend quality.
That particular photo probably isn't the best, as there appears to be a reflection aor cropping of the image at the rear that makes it look more narrow.
This can be seen when looking at the larger image at the lltek link.
Old 04-17-2014, 11:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's been quite a while since this was updated but for the record i can add that there is one additional option now via Fabspeed ($1495).

http://www.fabspeed.com/s8-v10-resonator-bypass-x-pipe/

Has anybody actually pulled the trigger on either option yet? Very interested to see how the install went.
Old 04-19-2014, 07:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by tdawg183
It's been quite a while since this was updated but for the record i can add that there is one additional option now via Fabspeed ($1495).

http://www.fabspeed.com/s8-v10-resonator-bypass-x-pipe/

Has anybody actually pulled the trigger on either option yet? Very interested to see how the install went.
Thanks, I might try this, and hope with no resonators that there is no drone.
Old 04-23-2014, 03:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

EHLO, do you truly believe there will be that much value in the xpipe?
Old 04-23-2014, 04:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Jake Musser
EHLO, do you truly believe there will be that much value in the xpipe?
Are you asking if it's worth $1,500?
That would be up to each person to decide, but at that price it may be worth it to me to have a more aggressive exhaust note, and perhaps have a little more HP.
According to this picture, the Milltek exhaust has a similar hpipe.
Is that true of yours, and do you have any drone at highway cruising speed due to lack of resonators?
Attached Images  

Last edited by EHLO; 04-23-2014 at 04:44 AM.
Old 04-23-2014, 04:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Yes, it is an H pipe and not an xpipe. I was only anxious to see if someone would invest 1,500 into a xpipe and not get a full exhaust.

Quick Reply: S8 x pipe options