A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seriously... Valve cover bolts on 4.2 D3

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 06:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seriously... Valve cover bolts on 4.2 D3

Rear bolts. Are you all just cutting through the heat shield? Even then, what combo of t30 and extension are you using?
I can barely get to the second from rear on both sides, so wonder how to turn a wrench once in the screw in order to not strip it.
2005 A8L 4.2 with 135k and drippy gaskets.
Thanks!
Old 01-10-2017, 07:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Solved the problem.. now just need 2 new bolts due to starting with t27 by mistake.
Passenger side from wheel well
Top driver side
Old 01-11-2017, 05:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

what a timely thread. Thank you. I'm about to tackle this job and have some reservations. I understood purchasing a D3 I would need to expand my skills. With upper control arms done I'm gaining confidence.
Great pics. Now I know to pull the wheel liners before getting frustrated.
My 8 has 160k with a drivers side leaking. Going to do both sides and figure it will be an all day (6 pack) affair.
Old 01-11-2017, 07:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by gaber6
Solved the problem.. now just need 2 new bolts due to starting with t27 by mistake.
Yeah, that heat shielding does need modification sometimes. Cut a flap and then it'll fold right back when you're done.

Originally Posted by Aceler8
...I understood purchasing a D3 I would need to expand my skills. With upper control arms done I'm gaining confidence.
...Going to do both sides and figure it will be an all day (6 pack) affair.
Haha on the six-pack.

It's so good to see some new names - for a while it seems this forum was slowing waaaay down! Welcome! Especially since none of the newer/less-heard-from-previously members types in all caps, all lower case, or uses "u" for "you".

My contributions for new A8/S8 owners are as follows:

1. Always come back and post your solution, even if it is embarrassingly easy (Blown fuse, etc.).
  2. Search, but don't hesitate to start a new thread if the old thread(s) was/were useless.
  3. Buy another A8, preferably the same year as yours. The greatest thing ever - having a car to borrow parts off of to test any of the thousand modules or sensors. Having a 3-D vacuum hose routing diagram is priceless as well, if you're lucky enough to get one without rearranged hoses. Like a chinese puzzle, they are.
  4. VCDS + $99 shop manual (Bentley on CD) = Priceless as well.
  5. For this or any A8/S8 job, your estimate on six-packs (oh, and time) should be AT&B=ETB squared, where AT&B = Actual time and Beer it will take, and ET&B = Estimated Time and Beer needed. (obviously, ET&B cannot ever equal 1).
-Tom
Old 01-11-2017, 09:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by aTOMic
Yeah, that heat shielding does need modification sometimes. Cut a flap and then it'll fold right back when you're done.

Haha on the six-pack.

It's so good to see some new names - for a while it seems this forum was slowing waaaay down! Welcome! Especially since none of the newer/less-heard-from-previously members types in all caps, all lower case, or uses "u" for "you".

My contributions for new A8/S8 owners are as follows:

1. Always come back and post your solution, even if it is embarrassingly easy (Blown fuse, etc.).
  2. Search, but don't hesitate to start a new thread if the old thread(s) was/were useless.
  3. Buy another A8, preferably the same year as yours. The greatest thing ever - having a car to borrow parts off of to test any of the thousand modules or sensors. Having a 3-D vacuum hose routing diagram is priceless as well, if you're lucky enough to get one without rearranged hoses. Like a chinese puzzle, they are.
  4. VCDS + $99 shop manual (Bentley on CD) = Priceless as well.
  5. For this or any A8/S8 job, your estimate on six-packs (oh, and time) should be AT&B=ETB squared, where AT&B = Actual time and Beer it will take, and ET&B = Estimated Time and Beer needed. (obviously, ET&B cannot ever equal 1).
-Tom
Good recommendations...
I have the VCDS, but need the Bentley CD.

AT&B>ET&B is usually how my DIY jobs go!
Old 01-12-2017, 03:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Gaskets

Yes, that's exactly how I just did mine. One of the rear most ones stripped, good time 😀 I would also check the cam plugs, both of mine were leaking so I replaced both. I mention that because you'll need that same heat shield hole, only bigger to do some creative prying of the new ones on the install. Removal was a screwdriver straight down on the slight edge that sticks out of the block.
The following users liked this post:
batcave (07-16-2023)
Old 01-12-2017, 03:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by A8CT
Yes, that's exactly how I just did mine. One of the rear most ones stripped, good time 😀 I would also check the cam plugs, both of mine were leaking so I replaced both. I mention that because you'll need that same heat shield hole, only bigger to do some creative prying of the new ones on the install. Removal was a screwdriver straight down on the slight edge that sticks out of the block.
What are cam plugs? How many do i need?

Oh, what is the proper torque for these bolts? i see varying answers online.
Old 01-12-2017, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks! I'll be back a lot. No room for a spare a8. This one aleady barely fits in the garage. Had a TT back in the day plus the Bently manual. Problem now is that nobody makes a computer that will run XP software.

I do have Ross tech VCDS so if anyone in Vegas needs a scan, hit me up.

Looks like some say don't use any silicone on gaskets but the valve cover gaskets are all stuck to the covers. It seems necessary to need something sticky as replacement involves the gasket needing to be held in place.

Last edited by gaber6; 01-12-2017 at 06:19 AM.
Old 01-12-2017, 07:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by gaber6
...Problem now is that nobody makes a computer that will run XP software...
...It seems necessary to need something sticky as replacement involves the gasket needing to be held in place...
Re the gaskets, just have two friends hold the engine upside down! You DID follow the official service Procedure where "Step 1 - Remove Engine" - Right?
Lazy, veek Amerikanner!!

Re the XP, My Winduhs 7 laptop (dual boot W10/Linux) insisted on upgrading its WXP to W10 and the Bentley works fine on it. (better than W10 itself!) Also, When I went to Bentley's website they had an ONLINE version of the manual, it says "Private Early Beta", works just as the disc, but I don't have to keep the disc in the computer all the time as long as there's wifi or my phone's hotspot!! I don't even have to use Winduhs Exploiter, I use Firefox - but usually on W10 because VCDS runs on it.
My OS of choice is Kubuntu (Linux) and there are Windows emulator apps for it and Mac that reportedly allow any Winduhs based progra - err, I mean "App" - to run on it.

-Tom
Old 01-12-2017, 07:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Lol. Thanks, Tom. I'll check that out.

Quick Reply: Seriously... Valve cover bolts on 4.2 D3