A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Single Frame grill conversion...will this work?

Old 01-22-2012, 09:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Default nice execution but...

Originally Posted by A8nightmare
The hoods are not the same there is a difference I checked into every option to do the same thing you are trying to do since I had my entire front bumper off. It's way too much money...you might as well buy a newer car...But here's what I did and I like the look a lot and it was under $10 to do.
anyone seeing you in the mirror or coming at them will think its a Mercedes because that LED placement is now MBs signature look in the same way that the LEDs in the headlight housing has become Audi's signature look.
Old 10-30-2012, 06:26 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Easy to do. It's called plasti dip!

You will need to tape off the grille prior to spraying... Obviously, but it is easy from there.
Go slow on the coats and put at least 5.... It's a grille after all and takes beating on the road.

You can get matching chrome trim at any auto store.
You will need to cut it just right so it is seemless.

I have a black euro plate coming in to finish it off, but total cost to do this $40
Attached Images  
Old 10-30-2012, 06:30 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Dmoor2158
You will need to tape off the grille prior to spraying... Obviously, but it is easy from there.
Go slow on the coats and put at least 5.... It's a grille after all and takes beating on the road.

You can get matching chrome trim at any auto store.
You will need to cut it just right so it is seemless.

I have a black euro plate coming in to finish it off, but total cost to do this $40

Forgot to mention...with plasti dip you can peel it right off if you need the stock look back for some reason or is you mess up the job. Much better then painting.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

I mocked mine up with black duct and electrical tape and some "chrome" striping to see the look in case I wanted to do a CONversion. I didn't like it so I took it right off.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Mister Bally
I mocked mine up with black duct and electrical tape and some "chrome" striping to see the look in case I wanted to do a CONversion. I didn't like it so I took it right off.
Ya, that sounds like it should look bad. May give you the general idea however with the plastidip you NEED to coat the actual grill too. That combined with the area of the front covered, looks seemless.

If you have a US plate holder, that needs to go to.

My euro plate just came in and it finishes the job perfectly.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:46 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Please HELP.. 2005 conversion to 2006/07/08 headlight PROBLEM

I'm stuck... im doing the A8 conversion early 2005 to 2007/08 . I bought everything I needed hood, bumper, grill the only thing is the headlights have different plugs...

my early 2005 audi a8 have 2005 headlights on them ( the 2004-2005 style)

I bought 2007 headlight on ebay to do the conversion the plugs are different. there are 2 ballast on the headlight. the HID Xeon ballast perfert, the other ballast half the plugs are the same the other half are different. Also where you plug the wiring harness in it's also different..

How did people do this coversion????

Please help me asap my audi a8 is in the shop and everyday im without a car
Old 06-10-2014, 09:20 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default It looks amazing.

I just bought a 2003 A6 and I like the car but the front looks to much lik le a old grandma or jetta look. I like the 2006+ look. I love how you added a chrome lining to connect the too to bottom then painted the middle bumper to lessen the bumper shine. It looks much more modern and stylish with the connected grills. I ordered a European Unon License Plate to add the final touches. Great idea makes the car look much sexier. After all the 2005 and Below back of the Audi look much Better than the 2006+ back of the Audis. By making this little touch up I can have the best of both worlds.
Old 06-17-2014, 10:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is a side pic of my car, I added a small lip spoiler...it just gives it a better appearance...My wheels also are staggered. Wider in the back and narrower in the front. Just a little bit and it is Vag Com lowered. Now for the grill you can just use some nice wide black trim tape. Then if you do not like it you can remove it. You will never notice it if your car is black if you do not want to paint it.

Old 01-08-2017, 07:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I been wondering the same thing but changing the grill on the 07 to the s8 grill from the 09. I'm wondering if that will work. Just because the s8 grill looks better to me then the regular grill. So if anyone can tell me, I will be great full
Old 01-08-2017, 10:24 AM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts

Why bother? You ain't fooling anyone that would know, or even care that the car is at least 10 years old. Besides, the look of the original D3 is back in fashion if the new Lincoln corporate face look is anything to go by.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Single Frame grill conversion...will this work?