A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slime A8 suspension

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 07:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Slime A8 suspension

I plan to slime my front suspension to fix an air leak tomorrow.I plan to slime my right front suspension tomorrow. Questions.

1. After u put the car in Jack mode...do you put the car jack under the actual suspension ie. wishbone, or did u put the car jack under an actual jacking point.

2. Did u put the slime in the hose or in in the actual suspension?
Old 07-27-2011, 08:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Jacking point.
Not sure, but you don't seem like you know enough about it yourself to just attempt it. Worst case scenario you could screw up a lot more than what is currently not working.

Take pictures and make a write-up if you do go through with it.
Old 07-28-2011, 02:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Not sure slime will work/can be used in the A8 units, they are different in design to the allroad/Touareg units. The A8 units are, if I understand correctly, a piston in a machined cylinder, they do not have a diaphragm of any kind, which is what the slime fixes.

I think you may have to find the leak the hard way or you will possible ruin the unit entirely - I cannot imagine what the slime will do to the unit as it starts to set!
Old 07-28-2011, 05:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Edd W
Not sure slime will work/can be used in the A8 units, they are different in design to the allroad/Touareg units. The A8 units are, if I understand correctly, a piston in a machined cylinder, they do not have a diaphragm of any kind, which is what the slime fixes.

I'm going by previous post that showed it worked. See below

I thiAs another follow-up. It's been a couple of weeks now and my A8 suspension is working fine. My Allroad has been on Slime for well over a year now...

I placed the suspension in Jack mode, then using the car's hand jack jacked up the suspension up enough to gain easy access to the top of the spring. Then pulled right front air sping line off (pretty easy with a 10mm open-end wrench)and shot the Slim in. Replaced the fitting, lowered the car, the deflated spring will bottom out. Then started the car and put the suspension in Standard mode and the spring came up a usual. Finally I kook the car out for a drive on varied roads just to work the Slime in.

It seems reasonable that when these springs leak that the failure occures at the bottom of the unit where bladder is pushing/rubbing/rolling against the metal base. Natually the Slime settles down down to the bottom and does its thing. I doubt seriously that the system ever vents air from a spring fast enough to carry any of the Slime out, besides the air fitting is at the top of spring, the Slime of course settles at the bottom. Also if the leak formed elseshere, say the top or sides I doubt the strategy would work very well.

Don

Last edited by Blubyu12; 07-28-2011 at 05:36 AM. Reason: Set up wrong
Old 07-28-2011, 06:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Edd W
... they do not have a diaphragm of any kind, ...
They have diaphragm. there are two cylinders and diaphragm seals air between them rolling inside out with suspension travel.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I was wrong then - looking at the design it looks oike there is a strong chance the tyre slime may well work - there seems nothing to loose as the unit has to be replaced anyway if it has failed.....

Just make sure none can get back into the line as the unit is loaded up again and displaces air back into the pipework.
Old 07-28-2011, 08:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Please take pictures and make a documented write-up if you do this. This will be a first in this forum and could save many members $$$$!
Old 07-29-2011, 01:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I looked at this option when my right front when the dealer told me that it had failed.

Unless you know what you're doing, you can do more damage that what has already occured. Fine if you bugger the strut (as it needs replacing anyway by the sounds of it), but if it get's in the lines...

Much cheaper than replacing the strut tho!
Old 10-28-2014, 01:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Im going to 'slime' a little nothing to lose in my case.

I would benefit from an illustration of what line to remove and where to enter the slime

and how much slime to start.
Old 10-28-2014, 01:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mishar
They have diaphragm. there are two cylinders and diaphragm seals air between them rolling inside out with suspension travel.
which item is the 'air spring line' to be disconnected ?

i know this is high risk manouver but I've got nothing to lose in my case.

I just cant swing the repair bills right now.

Quick Reply: Slime A8 suspension