A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Snow tires: keep all season DWS on or mount Alpin PA3?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 11:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by cre8value
I'm curious what your experiences with the PA3s in the Canadian winters are, Misha?
Vancouver doesn't really get much of those Canadian winters. It is more like Seattle weather, so rain and occasional snow. We had some snow last winter and they performed very good. From untouched snow in my back alley to the slushy streets, up and downhills my A8 was unstoppable. Only extremely aggressive acceleration would spin those tires. Same with braking and ABS engagement. I also had an early trip on a mainly clear highway and they performed just like my DW's. Of course just regular highway driving.
Old 11-21-2014, 04:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I picked up a low mileage PA4's on 19's for this winter's driving escapades. The price was decent and the wheels are nice. I need to pick up some mudflaps and replace my left front strut. Sure beats driving around on summer slicks.
Attached Images  
Old 11-21-2014, 08:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts
Default Similar to my prior reply, I can see it in the tread pattern

Pictures off the Tire Rack site below. The PA3 looks much more like a highway performance snow to me, meaning relatively quiet and much less chunky compared to full on winter tires. It thus gives up some loose snow/crud/mud grab. The DWS has more of that actually, but what it doesn't have are those tons of little sipes and small little shapes defined by the fine cut lines. The DWS will be a more aggressive AS than things like the Michelin AS3 but that still not a tread for slippery really hard surfaces. Those sipes and very fine patterns are what you want for the slick ice stopping and sideways sliding and spinning. Every one of those tiny lines is an individual grab point, and on a hard surface you want every one of them--rub your hand sometime on the surface in reverse of the tire rotation and you can feel the effect some on your skin. Meanwhile, stereotypes of guys mounting tires are more likely to be in 4WD pick ups and beater SUVs and such with the offroad sort of really aggressive, quasi tractor tread stuff on lift kit suspensions, and indeed the DWS looks closer to that model that is casually scaled to a car tire. Not sure though if they would get fine sipes and tiny blocks versus very aggressive tread stuff for really hard frozen surfaces.

For me anyway, I'm a lot more concerned about the slip issues in cornering or stopping than the dig in stuff. I have quattro for that and have never been stuck unless I beach it on a berm. Can put down plenty more power than I want to for safety in winter. My Tahoe driveway is a pretty steep uphill from a dead stop pull; quite slick right after it is plowed. But again, if you are in loose stuff or deep road crud and mud involving slopes, inclines and off kilter stuff a performance snow is not the best (nor is a low sedan...). There even a more aggressive AS like the DWS can serve you better--until you get on the really slick hard stuff again. No free lunch in here, with various tradeoffs.
Attached Images   

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 11-21-2014 at 09:09 PM.
Old 11-24-2014, 05:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

MP4.2 that was fantastic comparison! Thank you!
Old 12-01-2014, 09:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Had a chance to test the S8 and the Michelin Alpin PA3s in some light snow over the holiday weekend. Overall, she handled pretty well. Turning off the traction control made her much more intuitive and enjoyable to drive. The tires themselves performed quite well on completely dry roads, as well as wet roads. In the light snow they were OK, I have yet to see them in moderate or deep snow. Handling in the light snow was acceptable given the size and weight of the S8. Quick stopping on flat roads in light snow was OK. Abrupt stopping on downhill slopes in light snow was a bit sketchy.

Overall I'd have to say the Subaru still outperforms the S8 in the snow, but perhaps that shouldn't be a surprise. Interested in seeing how the PA3s perform in deeper snow, maybe do a side-by-side comparison next time we get hit with weather.

Old 12-01-2014, 02:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by cre8value
Close, Southern Florida.
Studded hakkas is the only way to be safe.
Old 12-01-2014, 03:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts
Default Thanks for update. Report back on ice/hard pack stopping too.

That's my acid test for the most common winter bad conditions crash, vs. just another stop.

My performance snows (Pirelli SottoZero's on D3, Dunlop 3D/M3 on A6 4.2) are light years ahead of any A/S's there. Both fitments happened to be 255's and feel a little floaty in fresh snow or chopped up road crud at medium speeds; track true as far as full control for any turning or lane change movement.

Ice stopping remains my personal freezing weather top criterion, plus general snow road traction. Again, I am well above freezing and no snow 95 % of winter miles, so a decent all around performance fitment, minimal extra tread noise and decent dry road handling round out my personal selection list.
Old 12-02-2014, 06:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1Wasserwerks
I picked up a low mileage PA4's on 19's for this winter's driving escapades. The price was decent and the wheels are nice. I need to pick up some mudflaps and replace my left front strut. Sure beats driving around on summer slicks.
I would love to see these on your car I'm thjnkjng about getting a set. Also I have a front shock that's good if you want it
Old 12-02-2014, 08:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by halik
Studded hakkas is the only way to be safe.
Any experience with the Hakka R2 on an A8? (i just ordered them...)
Old 12-02-2014, 02:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default @jamm220

Pic as requested. I would love these in 20". My car pulled and stopped just as in the video that was posted. I also have not had the opportunity to drive in packed or icy conditions. I always drive cautiously, it's the other guy I am worried about.
jamm220, thanks! Is it regular or sport strut? I need to replace the left front. Only loses pressure under 40F
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Snow tires: keep all season DWS on or mount Alpin PA3?