A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So I bought the Grey one

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2015, 08:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks much for the reply, ltooz. I did turn the lock code off prior to attempting the connect. The MMI indicates No Device Connected rather than it seeing the device and not being able to read it. I'm using the AMI cable that was in the car when I picked it up. Seems as though I've previously seen a thread that had the cable identified for AMI TO iPhone 4 but can't locate it again.
Thanks again,
Steve
Old 07-04-2015, 09:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Howaboutthat
We sometimes need to unplug, and then re-plug an iPhone into the AMI in order to get it to register, particularly the small (white Apple) converter that bridges the AMI device to the newer iPhones. Key is to detach the converter from the AMI moreso than detaching the converter from the phone. Otherwise, the "no device connected" message can appear.
Thanks, How about. I have not tried that but will in the morning. It's an iPhone 4 and the supplied cable fits right in but no charge and no recognition. Have seen other thread re connection and specific cable months ago but can't locate it again. Trying your method shortly.

Apologies to original post writer of Got the Grey One. Didn't mean to horn in on your thread but there was a connection in my head made and your helpers seemed to be in my ballpark. Many happy miles in your new "sofa."
Old 07-05-2015, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by Stevenxs1
Thanks much for the reply, ltooz. I did turn the lock code off prior to attempting the connect. The MMI indicates No Device Connected rather than it seeing the device and not being able to read it. I'm using the AMI cable that was in the car when I picked it up. Seems as though I've previously seen a thread that had the cable identified for AMI TO iPhone 4 but can't locate it again.
Thanks again,
Steve
Make sure you actually have the correct cable. There are several ones that were made w/ the iPhone 4 end but that were for other vehicles. See my reply here for part #: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-...e-4-a-2885774/ Part # should be on a label stuck around cable.

Also make sure cable is firmly plugged in to head unit, and also restart phone. After a phone/iTouch battery discharge (if left disconnected for a while) I have seen it need these kinds of extra steps after phone gets some charge back.
Old 07-05-2015, 11:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I banged my head on the rear view mirror today while reaching for something in the passenger side floor board. Knocked it right off the ceiling. I'm glad that thing is easy to pop back up there.

I'm learning about the quips and quirks of the car as I drive it more. Apparently the Navigation DVD in the older cars sometimes just doesn't work. I was going to check the map on it today and it was not working. Stopped to get some food and gas and got back in and it was working fine.

I've discovered that the car has a weird accessory position that can stay active for an hour after you get out of the car? I noticed that my phone charger was still lit up when I got out of the car and I then noticed that some of the interior buttons were still lit up. (transmission gear indicators, the buttons on the ceiling, things like that). Checked it later and they were off so I'm not sure what that is all about. I'm hoping someone can clue me in on that.

I have to find an owners manual so I can figure out what some of the buttons and settings are supposed to be.
Old 07-05-2015, 12:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts
Default all 12V outlets are HOT all the time- Watchout -

The ignition won't turn these OFF.
The interior lights should go off pretty quickly, the outside doors handles, mirrors leds should be on for a few minutes (5-10). You should these outside LEDs at nights, they're pretty.
The NAVIGATION sometimes "Please check DVD", when you turn off the ignition, do something, come back, restart the car, it's back on like nothing ever happened.
A nice car like that doesn't come with manuals? You should ask the dealer and trace back to the last owner and ask for it. I normally buy cars with manuals, full set or original keys before I check anything else.

Cheers,

Louis
Old 07-05-2015, 07:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

A dealer parts department should be able to get the manuals for a fee. If the navigation DVD is behaving like that, either disassemble the Navigation DVD player and clean the lens with alcohol or be prepared to buy a new/used replacement DVD player.

I had to replace mine as the cleaning did not work for me. Fortunately, the black market helped me get one with a newer DVD for $150.00 cash. Literally met the guy in a parking lot.
Old 07-05-2015, 07:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts
Default +1

Originally Posted by Mister Bally
A dealer parts department should be able to get the manuals for a fee. If the navigation DVD is behaving like that, either disassemble the Navigation DVD player and clean the lens with alcohol or be prepared to buy a new/used replacement DVD player.

I had to replace mine as the cleaning did not work for me. Fortunately, the black market helped me get one with a newer DVD for $150.00 cash. Literally met the guy in a parking lot.

+1. The Nav unit. Likewise I cleaned mine. Helped at margin, but not a cure. Maybe once every 3-6 months it flakes for one driving cycle for me post cleaning. Just cycling ignition when it takes a dive doesn't do it either; seems to need a bit of rest time.

Mister Bally question: do the Nav units have component protection, or did your parking lot special just plug in and it was running?
Old 07-05-2015, 07:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

My Nav did the same thing once in a blue moon. All you have to do is ejected the Nav Dvd and reinsert it. It worked for my A8 every time.
Old 07-06-2015, 01:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
Mister Bally question: do the Nav units have component protection, or did your parking lot special just plug in and it was running?
Plug and play.
Old 07-12-2015, 02:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Ok. So I finally got time to do a good cleaning on the new ride and I got some pics. It's been washed, clay barred, and waxed. There is sooooo much car to take care of. I wasn't ready for all the rubbing I was going to have to do.

Quick Reply: So I bought the Grey one