A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sometimes my car wont start

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 08:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Retraction from my previous "this is solved"

All of a sudden in the past 2 days it started resetting after being parked for an hour or so. I'm not noticing any other oddities that might be associated with losing power so I'm skeptical of it being a battery based issue. Could this be some sort of electrical gremlin or does anyone know if there's mention of it in a TSB for the MMI? My software version says 41.40 and from what I’ve read there is one newer (46.10) but it’s not clear what that fixed beyond 41.40 other than the serial update process. I understand that with the systems in this car it starts shutting stuff down to preserve enough starting power. Is there a list of the order in which stuff is shutdown? Wasn’t there a TSB for the “battery controller” with an associated update and would that cause similar symptoms to these? Keep in mind that this is just a minor annoyance at this point but I’d hate to have it devolve into a major issue if I leave it too long. Oh and I don’t have a VCDS yet so I’m not aware of any codes.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Starting issues

I had the almost the same
When i try to start the car it tooks long time trying to start however after almost 20 sec it faild to start then i tried again and it start quickly
This happen frequently however i took it to the dealers they told me there isnt any problem after that they change many this such as low pressure fuel sensor , fuel pump (2times) high pressure fuel sensor, and all didnt solve the problem
Dose any one have idea on how to solve this isssues or recommendation
Old 11-16-2012, 05:16 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

my workaround: insert key, wait for MMI to pop up, then turn the key to start the car. If MMI doesnt pop up, I take out the key and re-insert, wait for MMI pop-up again.

I rarely use push-button start.

This works for me, but YMMV.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Ali699
I had the almost the same
When i try to start the car it tooks long time trying to start however after almost 20 sec it faild to start then i tried again and it start quickly
This happen frequently however i took it to the dealers they told me there isnt any problem after that they change many this such as low pressure fuel sensor , fuel pump (2times) high pressure fuel sensor, and all didnt solve the problem
Dose any one have idea on how to solve this isssues or recommendation
First of all, don't let it last that long. If engine doesn't start in a few seconds stop it and try again. Cranking that long will burn your starter and ruin your battery.

As far as repairing goes I would start with key starts. If that works differently it may indicate what's wrong. Could be even start button switch. Next it could be Access/Start Control Module J-518. Changing pumps and pressure sensors is ridiculous. I suppose they figured out that there is no fuel pressure, but not sure if they checked if there is power supply to the pump. They tend to replace parts if they don't know what's wrong.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by melcoeb
my workaround: insert key, wait for MMI to pop up, then turn the key to start the car. If MMI doesnt pop up, I take out the key and re-insert, wait for MMI pop-up again.

I rarely use push-button start.

This works for me, but YMMV.
That's more of good indicator than workaround. If your screen doesn't pop up when key is inserted there is something wrong with Access/Start Control Module J-518. It controls everything. Can you hear steering wheel unlocking in the case that screen won't pop up?
Old 04-10-2016, 06:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default no start, no crank every 10-20 times

Hello, Atomic. I know this is an old thread. Did you get your issue resolved? I have the same problem and have spent $$, with no improvement. Can you shed some light on this if you have had this resolved, thanks.
Old 04-10-2016, 08:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts
Default once in a while my car clicked... nothing on both

key and smart start button. Turned off and on again, starts normally with 1 crank. I think it's the software bug somehow. I've never counted the times on before this happened. Do you turn on the engine 20 times a day?

Cheers,

Louis
Old 04-11-2016, 05:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I don't have keyless/push start. Only key and ignition switch. I have brought this to a dealer. It did not happen for them. Also I mentioned a sw update. They told me, there was no sw for this issue, and also it could be a mechanical fault with the starter or a harness problem from the starter.
Old 04-11-2016, 05:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have found an old post which may be related with same condition. It was resolved through audi by sw update remotely. Audi would not say what they did to fix this. If anyone knows, please chime in. I need to approach this at the dealer with something that does not make look like an idiot.
Old 04-11-2016, 05:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have a bentley repair manual. I can't find any tsb or campaigns for this issue, from my bentley repair manual. I cases like this, At my work place, tsb or campaigns would not be issued, if the fault or complaint is low. It would have been resolved through tech support. If any Audi dealer guys know some inside information, please email me freshtt225@gmail.com. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Sometimes my car wont start