A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Specific AMI cable 2008 A8L to iPhone 4

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2015, 10:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Specific AMI cable 2008 A8L to iPhone 4

Hello and thanks in advance. This forum helped me decide on a certain vehicle previously and I'm looking for the cherry answer on top of my D3 sundae.
Flew into Salt Lake City Tuesday morning and arrived back in NY before 9am Thursday. Great test drive for my new to me, previously well-pampered A8L. Only thing missing was the music from the iPhone 4 which I had meticulously prepared for the 2000 mile celebration. When I connected the supplied AMI cable to the phone and switched the CD/Aux via the MMI, I got message "No Device Connected." iPhone apparently not recognized; no charging, no lossless music. Please note, the iPhone isn't for calls and is dedicated as a music storage accessory only. Any assistance, procedurally or hardware (cable specifics) would be appreciated. Have previously seen a post re the cable and connections but unable to locate it. The cars exceeds my expectations but the iPhone music is burning a hole in my pocket. Thanks to the community in general!
Old 07-05-2015, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by Stevenxs1
Hello and thanks in advance. This forum helped me decide on a certain vehicle previously and I'm looking for the cherry answer on top of my D3 sundae.
Flew into Salt Lake City Tuesday morning and arrived back in NY before 9am Thursday. Great test drive for my new to me, previously well-pampered A8L. Only thing missing was the music from the iPhone 4 which I had meticulously prepared for the 2000 mile celebration. When I connected the supplied AMI cable to the phone and switched the CD/Aux via the MMI, I got message "No Device Connected." iPhone apparently not recognized; no charging, no lossless music. Please note, the iPhone isn't for calls and is dedicated as a music storage accessory only. Any assistance, procedurally or hardware (cable specifics) would be appreciated. Have previously seen a post re the cable and connections but unable to locate it. The cars exceeds my expectations but the iPhone music is burning a hole in my pocket. Thanks to the community in general!
Should be this one: iPod® AMI Cable | Genuine Audi | 4F0-051-510-L. It started as 4F0 051 510E, at least when I did my retrofit install (in my auto sig links), but it has since been superseded to "L" apparently. You can call audiusaparts to confirm by your VIN. They used to have a dedicated page about the cables, but it looks like it got axed by their new web site.
Old 07-05-2015, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

The "L" cable is an AMI to Lightning connector. The OP said he has an iPhone 4 which has the older 30 pin connector. I'm thinking he needs the 4F0 051 510 K with the red grommet and 30 pin connector.
Old 07-05-2015, 10:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts
Default If the phone doesn't charge, your AMI is not connected

or powered correctly. I took my son's iPhone 4 to the car, plugged it in, the charging signal came up right away, the music played automatically regardless of his passcode wasn't entered. Unless you have the power to the iPhone, the cable or the AMI wasn't turned ON or Broken (which I doubt).

-AMI will connect and charge iPod mini (6GB), iPhone 3 (8GB), iPhone 4 (8GB), iPod touch 4 (32GB) - Tested.
-<a href="https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-s8-d3-platform-discussion-60/play-music-iphones-android-phones-wirelessly-2881790/">AMI will connect to the right Bluetooth dongle</a> to stream music from iPhone 6 and Android Phones.

Cheers,

Louis
Old 07-05-2015, 12:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by snagitseven
The "L" cable is an AMI to Lightning connector. The OP said he has an iPhone 4 which has the older 30 pin connector. I'm thinking he needs the 4F0 051 510 K with the red grommet and 30 pin connector.

Your reference doesn't sound right to me from the audiusaparts listing, nor from the picture on their site. The K cable is the one that works in my Q5 without art if I use 30 pin IIRC. L superseded E, which is where the D3 started. Even though "L" comes later than "K", in this case its an older design back to "E." Lightning cable would be like an AC if it even worked in a D3.

Here is the site listing specific to OP's 2008 A8 that gets back to the "L" spec. Audi Wholesale OEM Parts - Audi Genuine Accessories - AudiUSAParts.com e-Store I don't know that you can even use a Lightning cable in a D3; I know my Q5 Lightning one doesn't cross over/work in my D3. Easy just to use an adapter though.

Advice nets to the big picture advice I suggested--call them, give them your VIN and cable spec (30 pin iPhone/iPod), and go from there.
Old 07-05-2015, 02:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

You're right. I was confusing the new 30 pin "L" cable with the "AL" cable which is the latest lightning cable that replaced the AC and AD lightning cables (which were both short lived).

I'm glad to see that Audi is replacing the overpriced and confusing array of AMI cables in the newest models with a much simpler USB connection in the center console. The 2016 C7 uses this and initial reports indicate it's fully MMI integrated with Apple and Android and maybe other makes of phones.
Old 07-05-2015, 05:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts
Default AMI 30 pins cable 2008 Q7

I don't know if the 08 A8 AMI uses different cable, but I think the best is to unplug and replug the cable to see if the cable was loose. Next is to check the power behind the AMI box. Since the MMI can see the AMI option, the MOST bus and CAN should be OK.

Cheers,

Louis
Old 07-05-2015, 06:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by ltooz_a6_a8_q7
I don't know if the 08 A8 AMI uses different cable, but I think the best is to unplug and replug the cable to see if the cable was loose. Next is to check the power behind the AMI box. Since the MMI can see the AMI option, the MOST bus and CAN should be OK.

Cheers,

Louis
As I posted, E was discontinued--which I have too from my 2007 retrofit. As a recently purchased vehicle, it is quite possible they basically threw some random cable in it to make it look complete.

Should be either a discontinued E or a newer L. Red or blue bands around it would not be a good thing IIRC, color coding of newer ones.
Old 07-06-2015, 05:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just recently bought a replacement cable for my 09 A8L. (car did not come with one) I bought the cable from Amazon with no issues. I tossed in an old iPod generation 3 to just leave in the car.

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B...ilpage_o06_s00