A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

stalled out at a stop light and wont start now

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 03:32 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stalled out at a stop light and wont start now

i have a 2006 a8 it stalled out. towed it home and it looked to be the vvt as the culprit. it will not start now. will not turn over or crank. any help would be great. i could be wrong on the vvt as well. wondering if it is all electrical.
Old 05-01-2016, 03:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

You will need to supply more details.
Sure you have chain not not belt ?
Old 05-01-2016, 03:48 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

it is timing belt and it is good. i could hear a chain slapping noise just before it stalled out. it cranks over by hand just fine. and the only code im getting now is a p3054 stater jammed or electrical and that was with a snap-on ethos.
Old 05-01-2016, 04:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

You pulled the cover and checked the belt? A set of valves being beaten to bits could make all manner of noises, including 'chain slapping.' The cover is held on with torx screws, and is very easy to remove and check. I'm having a hard time thinking of anything that would cause an engine to stop running and be unable to turn over that isn't completely catastrophic.

You need a scan with a proper Rosstech cable and VCDS. An OBDII reader isn't going to tell you much. I'd keep your fingers crossed for an electrical failure, but the sound you described makes me think mechanical failure.
Old 05-01-2016, 04:42 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Jack88
You pulled the cover and checked the belt? A set of valves being beaten to bits could make all manner of noises, including 'chain slapping.' The cover is held on with torx screws, and is very easy to remove and check. I'm having a hard time thinking of anything that would cause an engine to stop running and be unable to turn over that isn't completely catastrophic.

You need a scan with a proper Rosstech cable and VCDS. An OBDII reader isn't going to tell you much. I'd keep your fingers crossed for an electrical failure, but the sound you described makes me think mechanical failure.

Yes i checked. But the driver side bank the cam chain was loose. I would turn it over by hand and it would tighten up again. Turns over by hand just fine. The first time i tried to start it after it stalled in made a clunk sound like the starter solenoid. After that nothing
Old 05-01-2016, 04:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

If you have a pump for the oil, I'd suggest draining it to check for contaminants in your oil(i.e. metal shavings.) Or pull the spark plugs and check for damage to the plugs and cylinders. At this point, standard diagnostic procedure is to be applied. If you do not have a Rosstech cable, it is absolutely required to diagnose any electrical faults. I still suspect engine seizure, though, and what I've mentioned are some of the easier ways I know to check for signs of internal damage.
Old 05-02-2016, 09:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 579 Likes on 485 Posts

How about running with the code reading you have--starter issue? In reply #3. I would get a better scan with VCDS or shop equivalent and go from there. Reported D3 starter issues are rare, but possible nonetheless. It seems like the one code you have is the best clue so far and seems connected to basic no start. I would also not be tinkering with motor before getting to bottom of basic starter question, painful though it is to access it. Alternately, with a good scan, you should have more diagnostics.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 05-02-2016 at 09:38 AM.
Old 05-02-2016, 05:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

For the starter, I paid a good Euro shop to replace mine as the labor was less than the part cost. That's when I let someone else drop the subframe.
Old 05-02-2016, 06:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

So, when the car stalled out, was the car able to turn over at all afterwords? Had you had any problems with it starting previously?
Old 05-02-2016, 06:57 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Jack88
So, when the car stalled out, was the car able to turn over at all afterwords? Had you had any problems with it starting previously?
No it was not able to turn over at all. Towed it home and was able to turn over by hand just fine. Tried to start once heard a clunck and that was it. Now i get nothing other than a slight voltage drop. But it still turns over by hand fine.

Quick Reply: stalled out at a stop light and wont start now