A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

start access

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 07:22 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default start access

Hello fellow Audi lovers. Just purchased an 04 A8l for a little bit of nothing. Car won't start or anything else actually. I talked to dealer before purchasing vehicle and they said prior owner had car diagnosed by them. He was told start access module and a repair quote of a little over 2k. After countless hours of research I believe it's the start access as well. Now after purchasing vehicle and bringing it to them they now say they don't want to touch the car. They said replacing the access module would require changing steering column as well. $1,200 for module and $1,700 for steering column then another $1,500 in labor. The kicker is even if I wanted them to do it they said the last time car was in (when it was first diagnosed with faulty access module 9 months ago) carpet was wet. Sooooo wet carpet means some "main harness in floor PROBABLY could have water damage resulting in ALL modules being subject to water damage in the future" so they won't do repair. Sound accurate?? Will be towing car home this week. Ordered diagnostic software and it should be here by the time the car gets here. As of now all I know is it will not start. Only lower dash lights.....gear selector, mileage, etc light up. Dome lights work, key in ignition reminder beeps and doors lock and unlock with remote. Nothing else. Going to do testing this week once I get car home.
Old 11-16-2015, 10:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Get a read out when you get your vcds and post it and someone will steer you in the right direction.
If the EEPROM is readable you may may be able to do a cheap fix.
See my previous posts.
A lot of Audi dealers have got no idea and want big markups on new modules.
See online price for j518 kessy from Jim Ellis Audi
Regards Graham
Old 11-19-2015, 06:18 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by storka
Get a read out when you get your vcds and post it and someone will steer you in the right direction.
If the EEPROM is readable you may may be able to do a cheap fix.
See my previous posts.
A lot of Audi dealers have got no idea and want big markups on new modules.
See online price for j518 kessy from Jim Ellis Audi
Regards Graham
Sorry for jump threads. Should have kept it all here but I'm new so please pardon me. Sooooo like I was saying car started after I cleared fault codes out of kessy. Codes have to be cleared every time to start car again. Did some more searching and found on vw site some guys actually were repairing them. They said the MOSFETs and other things go bad. After taking mines out first problem I saw was someone wiped all the numbers off the module😭 I think I can make out an A on it though. Anyways I took it to a local electronics place and he found only one faulty MOSFET. He ordered it and said he would have MOSFET and repair done by Monday😆 😆. If this works no coding or programing will be necessary but if not back to your "plan c". Will keep you posted
Old 11-19-2015, 06:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Ok good luck
I have a couple of spare new mossfets and transistors here after my botched attempt at replacing them. If anyone wants them for the postage price.
Don't think it's the A version as it does not have the advanced key option.
That's what's the mossfets are a part of.
You should be able to see the version number on your vcd readout.
I had to keep clearing the error codes from my kessy to get the advanced key to work.
Old 11-24-2015, 06:00 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Ok good luck
I have a couple of spare new mossfets and transistors here after my botched attempt at replacing them. If anyone wants them for the postage price.
Don't think it's the A version as it does not have the advanced key option.
That's what's the mossfets are a part of.
You should be able to see the version number on your vcd readout.
I had to keep clearing the error codes from my kessy to get the advanced key to work.
OK I picked up my module today. Tech says he found 1 bad mosfet. To be safe he replaced both mosfets in unit and all the capacitors. So I finally got it all back together. At first it did not work. I would clear code she would start up. Turn key off "no error". Once key was removed from ignition then code would pop up. No start. Clear code then same process all over again. Then finally after like 15 tries it stopped throwing code. She started every time with no fault code. After several off and on cycles code came back. This time accompanied with a "short to battery" code. No start with out dtc clear in like 10 cycles then just like that................she works again. Several cycles and still no codes. Looks promising though. So I guess to early to say if she is fixed. Is this what you meant in your post by you "had to keep clearing error codes in kessy to get advanced key to work"?

Last edited by mrhair; 11-24-2015 at 06:07 PM.
Old 11-24-2015, 09:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Had to clearing codes aerials short to plus.
My kessy worked but the advanced key part did not work properly and was getting worse.
Cleared the codes and would work for a bit.
The mossfets are just for the advanced key nothing to do with your car not starting.
The A version kessy does not have the two mossfets or the transistors near them.
I will get a photo of if I get a chance.
Try plan C
Old 11-24-2015, 11:10 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Had to clearing codes aerials short to plus.
My kessy worked but the advanced key part did not work properly and was getting worse.
Cleared the codes and would work for a bit.
The mossfets are just for the advanced key nothing to do with your car not starting.
The A version kessy does not have the two mossfets or the transistors near them.
I will get a photo of if I get a chance.
Try plan C
Well mines definitely is an A. Read it with The Vag. I definitely saw a mosfet and capacitors or transistors in it. When I checked "coding" of module on Vag it read "module not coded". Problem? Car still starts up now but definitely going to start looking for another module. There is an 04 A8 at junkyard hopefully it has the "a" version. Its wrecked in rear so module should be good. Just have to figure out how to get seat out of car with no battery. Either way the search begins. Keep you posted.
Old 11-24-2015, 11:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Sorry my bad
It was the plain 4e0909131 see photo. The circuit board has all

the places for mossfets etc.
This one is cloned and starts my car but no advanced key.
Anyway get the carprog and exact same kessy and should be all good.
Old 11-25-2015, 12:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Just looking on eBay USA lots of the A models out there some sub $100
Actually two ways you can go
Carprog and clone or my new best friend in Poland who has online vas account and is a real wiz charges about 45 euro plus you need a vas 5054A clone about $130
Old 12-01-2015, 01:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

How are things progressing with your kessy ?

Quick Reply: start access