A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starter jammed

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2016, 05:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Starter jammed

Hi anyone had this error code.
About 6 months ago went to start it when I was down town.
Ignition lights working I could not even hear a clicking noise.
After about 5 minutes of fiddling trying key as well it started.
Did not check error codes. Swapped out the ignition switch when I pulled the bellow dash section out for another project. Thought it was fixed but has happened again twice over about 6 months. Has always started after a few attempts.
When I read the error codes starter jammed was on there.
Has not happened for a few weeks now.
Just wondering if I should expect this to get worse and start shopping for a spare.
Old 01-08-2016, 06:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Yes. Buy a new one and replace. It is buried above the subframe. Buried so deep you can't use the old hammer trick to get an emergency start out of it.

If you are in a quiet garage, you can hear the solenoid click if someone inside the car tries to start it and you are outside of the car.

Anyway a search of the D3 threads yields this thread of mine:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-...ement-2838462/

I ended up having an indy shop replace mine due to timing and the fact the part was more expensive than the labor. OES gear reduction starter was made by Valeo.
Old 01-08-2016, 06:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

yes was just reading an old thread at another forum about the software issue.
Next project I think. getting the timing belt done this month so will organise it after that. Don't do many Ks anyway.
But I was just wondering if it was anything repairable. but if a starter is about $400 probably not worth playing with.
Old 01-08-2016, 06:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I found this elsewhere but as you say I don't think applies to my problem

"I had the exact same issue with the starter on my 2004 A8L two months ago. The dealer couldn't locate the problem. They tested and thought a couple of relays were bad. After replacing, they started it fine 24 times in a row. The 25th time it acted up again. Long story short, they had my car for 12 days and the final fix took about an hour. They connected the car to the internet and had it remotely diagnosed by Audi engineers. Some sort of non-published update was needed for the controle module. There were no bulletins or articles about the problem that the dealership could find, so the last resort after nearly two weeks was to connect the car to the internet and have it worked on by someone else. The car has been fine ever since.

If your dealer can't find the problem, have them call Midwestern Auto Group (magcars.com) and ask for Marty or Josh in Audi Service. MAG will recall this problem given the fact they spent dozens of hours trying to diagnose it.

On a side note, I noticed that the delay between upshifting under low acceleration is much better. I'm guessing the update they did had some other changes in it too"
Old 01-08-2016, 06:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by storka

"I had the exact same issue with the starter on my 2004 A8L two months ago. The dealer couldn't locate the problem. They tested and thought a couple of relays were bad. After replacing, they started it fine 24 times in a row. The 25th time it acted up again. Long story short, they had my car for 12 days and the final fix took about an hour. They connected the car to the internet and had it remotely diagnosed by Audi engineers. Some sort of non-published update was needed for the controle module. There were no bulletins or articles about the problem that the dealership could find, so the last resort after nearly two weeks was to connect the car to the internet and have it worked on by someone else. The car has been fine ever since.

If your dealer can't find the problem, have them call Midwestern Auto Group (magcars.com) and ask for Marty or Josh in Audi Service. MAG will recall this problem given the fact they spent dozens of hours trying to diagnose it.

On a side note, I noticed that the delay between upshifting under low acceleration is much better. I'm guessing the update they did had some other changes in it too"
Where are you located?
Old 01-08-2016, 07:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Australia
Old 01-09-2016, 09:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Australia
I thought so. So how did you find MAG? I lived a couple of miles from them for several years. Would always gawk at the Porsche dealership.
Old 01-09-2016, 02:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Mag ?
The only Mag here is magnetic island and we have only just got a porche dealer recently.
And it is the Audi dealer.
Have a look on a map I am near the pointy bit.
Old 01-09-2016, 03:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

THIS
Old 01-09-2016, 04:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I said I found this elsewhere and quotation marks.
I don't want to be done for stealing words.

Quick Reply: Starter jammed