A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sticky: How to program VCDS to have your DRL as foglights.

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 02:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sticky: How to program VCDS to have your DRL as foglights.

Ok well I figured out how I changed my DRL via headlights to via foglights.

I found this:

Central Electronics - Control Module #9 (Cent. Elect.) under the tab Electronics 1

Begin by selectting Controller 09 (Cent. Elect.) and choosing function 7 (Recode)

Example: by entering the code 11111 on most 2004 models, we can now have the foglamps to illuminate without having the main beams on.

?xxxxx: Footwell lighting

0 - Footwell lighting with halogen lamps
1 - Footwell lighting with LED lamps

x?xxxx: Type of headlight

0 - Halogen headlight
1 - Bi-Xenon headlight

xx?xxx: Automatic Headlamps

0 - Without Automatic Headlamps
1 - Automatic Headlamps without Rain-sensor (Most 2004)
2 - Automatic Headlamps with Rain-sensor (Late 2004 and later)

xxx?xx: Daytime Running Lights

0 - Without DRL
1 - with DRL

xxxx?x: Type of Daytime Running Lights

0 - DRL not selectable over MMI
1 - DRL selectable over MMI

xxxxx?: Land selection

1 - Remainder of the world (RoW)
2 - Remainder of the world/north countries (Finland, Sweden, Norway) *Note: The exterior lights will be on continuously and only fog lamp changes can be made with the light switch.
3 - The USA
4 - Canada * Note Parking lamps and fog lamps will be active whenever the ignition is on or the headlamps are activated by the sensor or turning the headlamps on via light switch.
5 - Denmark
6 - Italy

To explain this, when you go into coding, on the 04 and probably05, the original coding is 0123113 which was how it was on mine. The 06-10's most likely have a different coding. Since all I have to do is to change the last digit according to the above chart, all I had to do is to change it from a 3 to 4. And Wala!!! I had foglights as DRL. They do run at a lower wattage which will have longer bulb life. I rather have it on this setting because, it looks better and sporty and I rather replace foglight bulbs than changing HID bulbs.

Any questions or clarification, you can PM me or just ask me here on this thread.

Old 10-01-2013, 09:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks! How do you know the voltage runs lower when in DRL mode?
Old 10-01-2013, 10:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Galco
Thanks! How do you know the voltage runs lower when in DRL mode?

Well I turn the fogs on at night with my headlights and they are a little bit brighter. When I turn the light switch off then its not as bright but i'm ok with that. Just the way it is.
Old 10-01-2013, 06:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

The drop in wattage makes sense as it will significantly increase bulb life. And it's much easier to change the fog bulb than the DRL in the headlight assembly. I like the way Audi designed this, I going to try this out.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

The drop in wattage makes sense as it will significantly increase bulb life. And it's much easier to change the fog bulb than the DRL in the headlight assembly. I like the way Audi designed this, I going to try this out.

Yes it does make sense that it runs at a lower wattage and like you said, its cheaper and easier to change. Just so you know, when you have your light switch to Auto and when they automatically turn on at dusk, the drl fogs will turn off and it will switch over back to the headlights. The only way you can turn the fogs back on is to manually turn it to the headlight spot and pull out the switch one click. You don't want to pull it out the second click because it will also turn on the rear fogs and those lights are too bright when somebody is following you. Only used in inclement weather.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This worked really well for me and it was was really simple. Strange thing is that the Auto Locking feature was enabled (even when OFF in MMI control) when I switched the mode to Canada. Guess they have more problems with break in's up North.
Old 10-07-2013, 03:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Coding is a bit different for 2006+

Following this posts lead, I set up my MY 2006 to use the fogs as the DRLs. However the coding in VCDS was a bit different due to the advanced front-lighting system (AFS) set up on those models so equipped, like mine.

It took some playing around as setting the country code to "4" Canada turned off the headlight located DRLs, however, the fogs didn't turn on. The solutions was to select option "2" under Halogen Headlights. The AFS still appears to be working; turning the steering wheel to either side, activates the side lighting for better visibility going into a turn (at slow speeds, i.e. parking lot) and the follow-the-steering headlights still seem to point the direction of the steering wheel at higher speeds. It difficult to see this feature at night in the typical city lights driving that I do, even before the mode. I conclude they are behaving the same as they were before the re-coding.

The result is fogs are on for DRLs as well as the parking lights: rear tail lights, front amber parking lights as well as front and rear side markers. I would have preferred the parking lights stay off as is the case with the standard DRL set up for the US, but was unable to make that happen even with trying other country set ups. All other country settings kept the headlights on at all times. Also different is the the fogs light indicator is illuminated in the console cluster to confirm the fogs are on as the DRLs. As soon as the auto headlights turn on the fogs go out, as does the indicator. I suspect this is may be the case for all cars set up with fogs as DRLs. Would those in Canada please confirm if you get the fog light icon or a DRL indicator?

Lastly, for fun, I swapped out my stock fogs for a pair of yellow fogs that look better, IMHO, than the stock halogens which don't match the "white" of the HID headlights. The look is growing on me as I think it still looks factory yet adds a subtle difference.

Anyway, hope this helps those interested.
Attached Images    
Old 10-07-2013, 03:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

BTW, measured no difference in the lighting output of the fogs in either the DRL mode or when fog lights are turned on with the headlights.

Would have been cool, if they dimmed while in DRL mode to save bulb life and would look a bit cooler as they are surprisingly bright even during the day.
Old 10-07-2013, 04:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

BTW, measured no difference in the lighting output of the fogs in either the DRL mode or when fog lights are turned on with the headlights.

Would have been cool, if they dimmed while in DRL mode to save bulb life and would look a bit cooler as they are surprisingly bright even during the day.
Wow, those bulbs do by far beat the stock bulbs. The light output is dimmer on mine. But I guess it's the same lighting output starting with the 06 model. Sounds like you did this mod with no problem. Keep up the good work .

yea I hate when the other lights are on too but you have to take the bad with the good.
Old 10-09-2013, 06:47 AM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts

I've done the mod also and on mine there is no difference in brightness between fogs or as DRL's.

I'm in two minds about what to do with the bulbs though? Do I go blue tint halogen, yellow halogen, white LED, or even HID? What bulbs do the 04's with the projector fogs take?

Quick Reply: Sticky: How to program VCDS to have your DRL as foglights.