A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sunroof maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 04:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sunroof maintenance

My sunroof seems to be moving a bit slower and every now and again it will open itself back up after it has closed about 75%. If i close it again, it has always closed itself.

Additionally, I hear a winding sound coming from the sunroof motor (which i presume is above the front interior light (where the switch is located).

how can i properly grease the rails and any bearings to ensure this thing keeps on performing? What about the noise from above the lights? Should I grease the motor?
Old 03-18-2015, 04:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was literally just reading about this in the service manual so you are in luck. The link attached is the PDF of the Service Manual. Scroll to Page 42, or go to the Table of Contents and click on Section 3.24 Roof insert - sliding/tilting sunroof: cleaning and lubricating

http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/attachmen...2&d=1420367585

That is the section on sunroof maintenance.

The Krytox grease is located on Amazon here:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MWLDALQ/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=36AA28IIHR8LY&coliid=I30SRR09OCC7ON&psc=1 http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MWLDALQ/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=36AA28IIHR8LY&coliid=I30SRR09OCC7ON&psc=1

The paste for the rails is a little harder to come by, but located here:

PASTE - Deutsche Auto Parts - Volkswagen and Audi Parts Supplier - Online Discounted Parts Store

As for the noise above the dome light, that is coming from the wind deflector motor, if you search on here you will find posts relating to the very problem you are experiencing, some suggest lube, others suggest disconnecting the motor all together. I had the same issue and went with disconnecting the wind deflector motor. It stopped the noise and as I don't use the sunroof often, it was a no-brainer.
Old 03-18-2015, 05:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks Albatrossboss. I am having the same issue.
Old 03-18-2015, 06:41 PM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts

That speed dependent wind deflector always makes me smile. Epitomizes everything about German engineering to a tee. Engineer a complicated solution to a problem that no one has ever considered a problem, which then breaks and you're no worse off without it.
Old 03-19-2015, 04:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by dvs_dave
That speed dependent wind deflector always makes me smile. Epitomizes everything about German engineering to a tee. Engineer a complicated solution to a problem that no one has ever considered a problem, which then breaks and you're no worse off without it.
Wait... WHAT? A speed dependent wind deflector? had no clue we had such a thing.
Old 03-19-2015, 02:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Jehu8
Wait... WHAT? A speed dependent wind deflector? had no clue we had such a thing.
Yes, at certain speeds the bar in the front of the sunroof will rise and retract at certain speeds to keep wind buffeting down.
Old 05-02-2015, 04:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

How fast are you allowed to drive with the sunroof opened?
Especially that the deflector is motorized, too fast will probably damage the motor, right?
I couldn't find anything on the owner's manual about that.
Old 05-02-2015, 05:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by The.aviator2
How fast are you allowed to drive with the sunroof opened?
Especially that the deflector is motorized, too fast will probably damage the motor, right?
I couldn't find anything on the owner's manual about that.
You are allowed to drive as fast as you want with it open.
Old 05-02-2015, 05:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

ohh! never knew that...Thanks.
Old 05-02-2015, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 242 Likes on 199 Posts

Mister Balley may have some imput, but I would think your car is ultimately faster with it closed (more slippery) but I have been over 100mph and used the sunroof without issue.

Quick Reply: Sunroof maintenance