A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Super odd color and wood trim

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 05:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Super odd color and wood trim

2009 Audi S8 Quattro Sedan 4D Low 38k Miles B&O Sound Nav Heated Seats

Cherry black pearl and the wood trim has an inlay strip

Last edited by halik; 12-20-2014 at 05:26 PM.
Old 12-20-2014, 05:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Love that colour
Old 12-20-2014, 09:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Default thats an Audi Exclusive pckg

Originally Posted by halik
2009 Audi S8 Quattro Sedan 4D Low 38k Miles B&O Sound Nav Heated Seats

Cherry black pearl and the wood trim has an inlay strip
The trim is the same as the trim in my car; its called Maple Copper and is a Maple burl with a stain similar to that used on the Vavona (Redwood burl) trim that was standard with Amaretto interiors in the US. And quite spectacular in person. It is an extremely rarely seen Quattro GmBh Exclusive option. There are many more Exclusive options offered in Euope than here and I did not know that Maple Copper was even available in the US...I have never seen it in the US before other than my A8, but my trim came from Germany.

The inlay was an Exclusive option in both the US and Europe but seldom seen in either, and for good reason. I have always thought it quite incongruous in the A8; something rather more suited to the straight lines of a Rolls Royce door cap. In the A8 it just interferes with the line of the trim's curved surface so I am happy not to have it.

Last edited by awdinut; 12-20-2014 at 11:08 PM.
Old 12-20-2014, 09:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 579 Likes on 485 Posts
Default Except for the MMI inlay strip pretty much the same as my 2006 W12

Sans the piping mine has with the usual W12 four seater. Called Vavona Amber on mine I think, with the Amaretto and the extended leather. Mine comes up as "Quattro GmbH" when the VIN gets pulled for parts, so likely means Audi Exclusive. The wood choice is shown as Audi Exclusive in the Euro full color book type brochures they published.

Still really like the look and richness of it; ties together really well in person; often hard to photograph the Amaretto's too, though those pics are pretty good as they go.
Old 12-21-2014, 04:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Are you sure that wood trim is "unusual"? It appears to be the same color I have on mine (which Quartz Grey Metallic exterior & black leather interior).
Old 12-21-2014, 05:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Really like that exterior color. Dealership is on crackrock if they think they are sniffing $45K for it, regardless of low mileage.
Old 12-21-2014, 05:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
Sans the piping mine has with the usual W12 four seater. Called Vavona Amber on mine I think, with the Amaretto and the extended leather. Mine comes up as "Quattro GmbH" when the VIN gets pulled for parts, so likely means Audi Exclusive. The wood choice is shown as Audi Exclusive in the Euro full color book type brochures they published.

Still really like the look and richness of it; ties together really well in person; often hard to photograph the Amaretto's too, though those pics are pretty good as they go.
The wood is lighter than vavona amber, I have a set of door strips in that color. It's somewhere between the standard wallnut and the gray vavona from S8 cars.

Originally Posted by awdinut
The inlay was an Exclusive option in both the US and Europe but seldom seen in either, and for good reason. I have always thought it quite incongruous in the A8; something rather more suited to the straight lines of a Rolls Royce door cap. In the A8 it just interferes with the line of the trim's curved surface so I am happy not to have it.
Agreed, it seems a bit out of place.
Old 12-21-2014, 05:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts

I looked into the Audi Exclusive interiors when I was ordering my 2007 and I think it cost over $10,000. As it turned out, the Exclusive interior was not available with Sport Option, so I didn't pursue, but it was beautiful.
Old 12-21-2014, 01:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Default no...

Originally Posted by halik
The wood is lighter than vavona amber, I have a set of door strips in that color. It's somewhere between the standard wallnut and the gray vavona from S8 cars.

Agreed, it seems a bit out of place.
Its not Walnut and its not grey, and its not Vavona...its what Audi called Maple Copper. The burl of the Redwood tree, called Vavona in the wood biz, can have various looks to it, some very nice and unfortunately ,since Audi is not very discriminating in its veneer selection/rejection, some is quite ugly. But Vavona burl never looks like a true burl as one thinks of burl used in Rolls or Jag or Audi Walnut. Or the burl in that S8. That is what Maple burl looks like; at least as used by Quattro GmbH. I have seen two examples of it besides mine, both in German A8s, and all of the Maple Copper trim has that burl pattern type.
Old 12-21-2014, 03:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 579 Likes on 485 Posts
Default yes, no...?

Here's the 2009 actual USA Exclusive order guide. By this you are likely right since there was so much mix and matching indicated at this level. 2007 and 2008 regular order guides with the Exclusive choices would indicate it should have piping on seats and they should be Cognac, and of course that doesn't match pics. 2009 seems to have a lot more individualization, at least in that brochure. http://thesaylors.net/automobiles/Au...iExclusive.pdf However, while I could only find a 2008 color and wood sample Audi USA Exclusive brochure on line, the maple shots had little grain to them; see p. 7 http://thesaylors.net/automobiles/Au...2007-09-01.pdf

But then...attached is a shot of my speedo at exactly 100K. Notice the wood around it, and match those up to the listing pics again. Close too, but probably more burl. My original sticker says I have one of Polished Walnut, Sycamore or Birch (earlier info I referenced was from Euro W12 guide/book). Order guides say if I have Amaretto with Black interior (which I do), I have Sycamore.
Attached Images  

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 12-21-2014 at 04:03 PM.

Quick Reply: Super odd color and wood trim