A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension issue

Old 06-02-2014, 08:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension issue

Hi guys,

New D3 owner here, 2007 S8 with 102,750 miles on the clock. Have been finding a few problems with the car even though it was purchased from an Audi dealer (out of state) who stated that the car was 100% sound. There is a clunking, rattling sound when going over bumps, or uneven asphalt. Does this sound like anything common, like a control arm issue or another part of the suspension that is prone to failure in this car? Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Scott
Old 06-02-2014, 09:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

Usual starting point--front upper inner control arm bushings
Old 06-03-2014, 06:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
Usual starting point--front upper inner control arm bushings
Thanks MP, I'm going to bring it in to get checked out. There is no squeaking or creaking, just a clunking sound. It almost sounds like something is loose, not as tight as it should be. Think I will just bring it in to a local Audi dealer and have them perform a scan and do a physical check on everything since I am having a headlight issue that I posted about earlier and a couple of other minor things. I'll post the results as soon as I find them out.

Thanks again!
Old 06-03-2014, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts
Default Other possible items for "clunks" night be...

the u links at the end of the front roll bar where it bolts to the suspension arms, and the roll bar bushings where the bar bolts to the engine subframe. Those are among the more commonly discussed; obviously there are lots of theoretical possibles, plus loose bolts and such if something was overlooked in prior work.
Old 06-03-2014, 09:09 AM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

These are what were the source of some very loud clunking on my A8L W12.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Moog-Swa...9c68e3&vxp=mtr

Although I purchased mine from Audi.
Old 06-03-2014, 09:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
the u links at the end of the front roll bar where it bolts to the suspension arms, and the roll bar bushings where the bar bolts to the engine subframe. Those are among the more commonly discussed; obviously there are lots of theoretical possibles, plus loose bolts and such if something was overlooked in prior work.
Thanks, I'll add that to the list of possiblilities. Can't wait to have the car the way it's supposed to be so I can fully enjoy it.
Old 06-03-2014, 09:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by JohnnyJ A6Q
These are what were the source of some very loud clunking on my A8L W12.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Moog-Swa...9c68e3&vxp=mtr

Although I purchased mine from Audi.
I now have an appointment for tomorrow morning to have diagnostics and a complete check up at my local Audi dealer. It does sound like the sway bar links could be the main cause of my suspension issues.

Thanks for your help, will report back with my progress.
Old 06-07-2014, 09:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hi everyone,

Just got the car back from Audi today, they had it since Wednesday morning. The following is what they found:

The headlight issue was just a loose wire, the Audi tech at the dealership where I purchased the car didn't install it correctly when changing the blub due to the fact that he was rushing to go to lunch and didn't want to remove the airbox fully.

The suspension issue is due to the need of stabilizer links (which includes the upper control arms) and lower control arms.

The check engine light (which came on while I was on the way to drop the car off at Audi) and the delayed start when starting the car for the first time of the day are caused by a thrust sensor (going to look that up now since I have no idea about it) that needs to be replaced. The code that came up for the CEL was for low fuel pressure due to a faulty thrust sensor.

The EPC light (which came on once with no other symptoms) is a sporadic fault and was cleared but if it comes on again it is recommended to replace the full shifter assembly due to a internal fault. It was also explained that this could have been due to bad gas being put in the car previous to me purchasing it last week. The dealership probably was only putting regular gas in it while it was on their lot.

Driver's exterior door lock button not functioning, it is shorted and needs replacement of the entire handle. (not a big deal for me, will leave that one alone).

Passenger front door power assist not functioning, the drive unit is not working and needs to be replaced for the vacuum feature to work. (another feature I can do without).

Low horn not functioning, has internal short, needs to be replaced. Think I can tackle this one myself.

Thanks for all of the input guys, any comments?

Last edited by sel126; 06-07-2014 at 10:42 AM.
Old 06-07-2014, 12:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's a shame the car has all these faulty features that "you can live without". I don't understand why People buy cars with all the bells and whistles and when those bells and whistles break (and they do) you resort to not fixing it.
Old 06-07-2014, 12:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

But I should also say that I'm glad that you now know what the issues are now and that the dealer didn't take advantage - I hope.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Suspension issue