A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension Rebuild Writeup.

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 09:37 AM
tjf
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by aTOMic
Nice writeup and I hate you for your garage! Mine looks like the drop-off at Goodwill. (Getting ready for garage sale, for two years; long story)
I know Mercedesshop.com (now Pelicanparts) sold a lot of "Ate" (pr. Ahh-tay) brand parts and shipped from Worldpac, whom everybody uses.
Try FCP Euro, tell Max (if he's still there) or Mike I sent you. They supposedly guarantee parts for life (!) and with your luck on the airsprings, this could be a good thing. Also mention Audiworld discount,which doesn't exist, but which will hopefully get them to advertise here. And they'll give you 10% off in my experience, sometimes free 2-day shipping too.
Nice wheels BTW.
+3 on Raxles; they even send loaner tools for the triple square and the 19mm male hex for front axlebolt! ANd they are FAST!
Is RMT the one in Florida? If so, they seemed flaky and dumb about Audi airsprings when I talked to them, several times. Allroad forum hates on 'em, too.
How much was the VW tool?

Good luck,
Tom
The garage is actually my basement, which works out nice for heat and air, music, tv. I have a detached for normal parking. I need to start cleaning stuff out myself, as I'm piling up a lot of used parts. I hate to throw stuff like that out, just in case.
The VW Tool was $107,through VW Tool and Equipment Program vwaudi@snapon.com or call 1-800-892-9650.
RMT is in Florida, but I thought Arnott was too.
Old 01-17-2017, 06:22 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tjf
The last picture shows a comparison of tools available. The center I had for my 99 A4. It barely worked for that. I then bought the Hazet, as it opened further. That it does, but the throat isn't wide enough. I then bought the VAG tool on the left. Worked fine for the front lowers. It worked on 1 of the rears.
tjf,

I'm currently trying to source the VAG tool (T40042) through snapon but they don't seem to have availability. How long ago did you order this?

https://audi.snapon.com/SpecialTools...itemid=4910007

I was about to purchase that same Hazet tool 1779-1 so thanks for posting that the throat is too small. That would have been a $100 paperweight for me.

I was looking to get something similar from either of the two links below if anyone is searching this thread. I'll try to report back if I find something that works.

KTC

Alternatively, I think I might remove the entire assembly with the lower control arms still attached and work it that way.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Triad.:; 01-17-2017 at 07:33 AM.
Old 01-17-2017, 07:57 AM
tjf
AudiWorld Member

I ordered it in June. - It does show out of stock right now.
An air chisel with a point will probably work just as well. That's what I ended up doing for one of the lower rears anyway.
Old 01-17-2017, 08:46 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by tjf
I ordered it in June. - It does show out of stock right now.
An air chisel with a point will probably work just as well. That's what I ended up doing for one of the lower rears anyway.
Thanks for the reply tjf.

My concern with the air chisel is ripping the rubber boot on the balljoint. Did you chisel from the underside, between the two parts, or from the top side where the nut was?
Old 01-17-2017, 09:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

When I did my Passat I used a sacrificial nut and smacked it with a hammer.
Old 01-17-2017, 09:16 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

My issue, at least on the S8, is that I can't get an angle on the nut to get a good thwack at it because the CV boot is directly over it.
Attached Images  
Old 01-17-2017, 03:42 PM
tjf
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Triad.:
Thanks for the reply tjf.

My concern with the air chisel is ripping the rubber boot on the balljoint. Did you chisel from the underside, between the two parts, or from the top side where the nut was?
From the top, into the allen fitting on top of the stud.
Old 01-22-2017, 07:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Where did you send your air struts for rebuilding? I have a 2012 Audi A8L with 130k miles and the ride is getting jittery and harsh and I replaced the front control arm bushings already but need to get the air struts fixed. Can my dealership do this?
Old 01-23-2017, 07:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Baloo588
Where did you send your air struts for rebuilding? I have a 2012 Audi A8L with 130k miles and the ride is getting jittery and harsh and I replaced the front control arm bushings already but need to get the air struts fixed. Can my dealership do this?
Do you have codes to suggest a leak? I never heard of anyone replacing the struts without a leak or the car being down, but i have small ears
Old 01-23-2017, 12:51 PM
tjf
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by chokboywonda
Do you have codes to suggest a leak? I never heard of anyone replacing the struts without a leak or the car being down, but i have small ears
.... Just read the original post. I had no leaks. I Sent all 4 to RMT for rebuilding as preventative maintenance. I figured $1300 to do it myself, or $3k for 1, if I have to have it done while traveling, which is how the car is mostly used.

Quick Reply: Suspension Rebuild Writeup.