A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about Buying a 2008 A8. Need Advice

Old 07-07-2011, 12:42 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about Buying a 2008 A8. Need Advice

Hi Everyone,

So I am on all the bmw forums. I have always been a bmw guy. Currently I have a 2006 650i Convertible. But I was thinking about selling it and getting a 07,08, or 09 Audi A8L. I went and test drove one the other day and loved it, but I want to get your guys opinion. I have never had an audi before and do not know the reliability of them. So if anyone can chime in on personal experiences or common issues, the major differences between the three years, options to look for, and possible upgrades like maybe LED headlights like the new D4 body. Thanks in advance everyone.
Old 07-07-2011, 05:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

They are incredible machines and I highly recommend the Audi A8.

Fortunately you are coming from BMW land and understand that luxury cars are expensive to maintain.

I think (correct me if wrong) that the LED headlight upgrade would require a new front end, but have seen a few done and they look nice.

Avoid LED's everywhere else except the plate lights and doors in my opinion, it's just too much hassle.
Mine are all going back to standard this weekend *sigh*.

I'm new to owning an A8L since February so others can give you a better idea on reliability.
Old 07-07-2011, 06:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

I'm on my second A8 and personally, I don't think they are any more or less reliable than any other high performance car. They are expensive to fix, so I would never own one without some sort of warranty, but I have had very good luck with mine - only normal maintenance and a few minor repairs.

I think the perception of low reliability on "flagship" sedans like the A8 and the 7 series comes from the fact that there are more cutting edge systems on the cars (more things to fail) and that the cost of repairs can be very high. I personally don't think that the perception is reality, at least in my experience.

All that said, the A8 is a marvelous car - you will never be sorry you own own one when you settle into it at the end of a hard day or take a long road trip.

Larry
Old 07-07-2011, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'll post my experiences with D3 reliability and the differences between the three years the OP mentioned this evening once I have more free time and can find my previous posts.

Originally Posted by jakematic
I think (correct me if wrong) that the LED headlight upgrade would require a new front end, but have seen a few done and they look nice.
On a 07-09 D3, the front end is effectively the same when considering a headlight conversion. No need to change out any structural parts. To upgrade from 07-09 standard headlights to a set with LED daytime running lights, like those the D3 S8's/W12's and 2010 4.2's, you would need to replace the entire headlight assemblies and if IIRC there are some wiring changes/modifications that need to be done.

In case the OP is not aware, the D3 headlights with LED DRL's are NOT like the full LED headlights on the D4's. See the photos below for a comparison of the two types of D3 headlights, the 1st/left is the non-LED DRL followed by the LED DRL version.
Attached Images   
Old 07-07-2011, 05:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by lgball
All that said, the A8 is a marvelous car - you will never be sorry you own own one when you settle into it at the end of a hard day or take a long road trip.
+1

And this is just after my recent 3710 mile road trip in my A8. Check out some photos I posted in the photo albums by clicking on my ID.
Old 07-07-2011, 06:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Bally
+1

And this is just after my recent 3710 mile road trip in my A8. Check out some photos I posted in the photo albums by clicking on my ID.
500% concurrence.

Did an 1,800 mile round trip in May - down to Fla in 10 hours, 3 days later 11 hour return.
Felt like id been sitting in my easy chair the whole time and thoroughly refreshed.
Not the shaking coked (cola) up zombie after every other trip.

Actually looking forward to similar trip to NY in a few weeks and Fla again in October.

She's no chiropractor but then again I went for a drive today just because my back injury has flared up and been keeping e awake all week.
Old 07-08-2011, 11:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by b_rashed
...I was thinking about selling it and getting a 07,08, or 09 Audi A8L. I went and test drove one the other day and loved it, but I want to get your guys opinion. I have never had an audi before and do not know the reliability of them. So if anyone can chime in on personal experiences or common issues, the major differences between the three years, options to look for, and possible upgrades like maybe LED headlights like the new D4 body. Thanks in advance everyone.
Differences between the D3 years:
Engines-
04-06 4.2L non-FSI engine- 335 hp, 317 ft-lbs. torque, timing belt, requires $1k-$2k service at Audi recommended 75k mile mark( some have pushed it out to 110k). Save $$ if you DIY and/or order aftermarket parts kit.

07-10 4.2L FIS engine- 345-350 hp depending on source, 325 ft-lbs. torque, timing-chain, thermostat is easier to access, Not to suggest it's common but there is potential for carbon valve fouling on FSI engines (for this model as well as S8 V10's and A4 4 cylinder if not others). The posts I've seen most involved the V10 on the S8. Perhaps someone else can chime in on this?

-Trim/Options/Misc.
'04- On-Star. Larger roof antenna (better looking in my opinion). HID foglamps. No keyless entry and start, no door close assist until, and no bluetooth telephony until '05. No backup camera, smaller instrument cluster display for non adaptive cruise models, and no B&O option until '07. First year of D3 model, least refined build. On the flip side I had an '04 D3 and was very happy and you do save $$ over the newer ones.

'05- Added bluetooth telephony. Smaller roof antenna. Foglamps use plain enclosure and blubs. Added keyless entry and start, door close assist (may require premium package?)

'06- Single grill facelift (changed out hood, headlights, and obviously the bumper and grill, different shape of foglights and grill inserts).

'07- Probably won't find under original warranty as of July 2011 but many available under CPO, backup camera (may require premium package?), headrests have adjustable side supports ('08+ on S8's), CD changer updated with MP3 CD playback, Audi Music Interface (AMI) was made available this year and may have been made standard in last batch of '07's. First year $6,300 Bang & Olufsen sound system option available

'08- Still under factory warranty as of July 2011 provided under 50k miles. Updated gloss black grill on 4.2's (<'07 W12 style). Updated fogs and full LED tail lights. Updated side mirrors with integrated blinkers (moved from front quarter panel), side mirror surface is bigger and enhances visibility. AMI standard, interior updated with metal trim accents and *****, updated keyless start button. First year option available for lane change assist and vibrating wheel warning for drifting out of your lane. IIRC, the interior sound proofing was updated in 08 as well. Sport package 20's no longer dual color, now all polished. The look of the 19" wheels changed from forged 12 spoke turbine/pieplate to 5 spoke not so good looking design. Not sure if 18's are still available and if so if they're still the same wheel.

'09- Updated moonroof/sunroof control cluster.

'10- S8/W12 discontinued/not available. S8/W12 style LED DRL headlights standard on 4.2L models, I believe the SWB A8's now have spoiler notch on trunk (like on the S8's) though there have been no sightings of '10 SWB D3's in US that I'm aware of. There may be one or two more cosmetic updates but can't recall at this time. UK models also had MMI 3G in '10 but I've never seen or heard of a US model that came with MMI 3G from the factory.

D3 reliability:
I've never been stranded in neither my '04 A8L 4.2 or my W12. On my '04 4.2, a brake position sensor went out once while driving which would sporadically cause the transmission to shift to neutral when on the gas (because it though I was pressing the brake per the Audi service advisor's explanation) and I had to limp along and made it to the dealer. I've never had suspension or any other drive train issues with either car. I thought I heard low speed steering noises in my W12 but it ended up being a loose wire in the steering column from an stealthily installed radar detector that had to be better secured. Power steering fluid was fine. No leaks ever on either car.

I've had the trunk latch replaced on both as it wouldn't latch when closing automatically (on 4.2) or would sporadically stick whne opening (W12). I've had AC/heating issues on both the 4.2 and W12 that were fixed under warranty (would have cost $2000+). Had the rear blind break on the 4.2, replaced under CPO. Had rear window heater elements start to come apart from the windows at the edges causing it to fail on 4.2, replaced under CPO. Both would have been $1000+ expenses. The rear sub cover rattled in the W12, had to pay $150 to eliminate as it was considered trim.

Unless you're best buds with or are a mechanic, I would highly recommend the Audi branded extended warranty through Fidelity if you buy a car that's not CPO and close to warranty expiration. If something seriously goes wrong with these car, it could cost a lot more than the extended warranty. I have yet to use mine but still.

Comfort/performance:
I've given many rides, sometimes with 3 on rear bench, and had a few long trips with passengers. All have absolutely loved the space and comfort, even on 3+ hour trips to Santa Cruz. Whether or not you have the acoustic side windows, both cabins are very quiet even at speed. The quietest I've ever experienced. The air suspension works marvelously, providing supreme comfort or inspiring confidence in the appropriate mode. Still amazed how my girl and I can have soft conversation while enjoying music in the background at 85 mph on 20' high performance wheels with low profile tires.

Both the types of sound systems are amazing in these cars. The Bose is so good that it almost eliminates the point of upgrading to B&O, though I can't deny the B&O is still a step above.

The 4.2 was very fast, plenty enough to impress passengers. Just launches from a stop with the quattro. The W12 is ridiculous, panty disintegrating fast. I'm occasionally blown away even after a year of driving it. It hurls unsuspecting passengers into their seats. One friend said the acceleration gave him the feeling you get when cresting over the top of a hill at speed. I don't risk cornering too hard on the roads but I did take it to Infineon Raceway two months ago and that was an absolute blast.

Knowing what I know, if I was shopping for a 4.2 A8L, I would look for these options :
Ventilated/massaging seats (for the ventilation)
Adaptive cruise control
Acoustic/security glass
Alcantara headliner
4 zone climate control
Rear electric lumbar

I currently have solar sunroof but unless you have to park outside everyday for work or don't have/can't park in a garage at home, I don't think the small benefit is worth the trade of losing the view.

Last edited by ModestW12; 07-13-2011 at 11:31 AM.
Old 07-10-2011, 09:25 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thank you all for the details. Ok my last two things are what's comes different in a sport 08 a8l compared to a regular 08 a8l. And again on the headlights. Is there any way possible to do a full facelift conversion to the 2011 a8 with the full led headlights and new bumpers and hood.
Old 07-10-2011, 09:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I traded my 2006 VW Phaeton last month on a 2008 Audi A8. I have been overall very pleased. Its a great riding vehicle and has all the items a car of this class should have. I have taken a couple of trips to St. Louis and it rides as nice as my Phaeton. I would go for the 2008.
Old 07-11-2011, 06:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lgball
I'm on my second A8 and personally, I don't think they are any more or less reliable than any other high performance car. They are expensive to fix, so I would never own one without some sort of warranty, but I have had very good luck with mine - only normal maintenance and a few minor repairs.

I think the perception of low reliability on "flagship" sedans like the A8 and the 7 series comes from the fact that there are more cutting edge systems on the cars (more things to fail) and that the cost of repairs can be very high. I personally don't think that the perception is reality, at least in my experience.

Larry
Well, I have to disagree. I LOVE my 05 A8L, but I doubt I would do one next time. My wife was recently ready for a "new" used car and we were looking at the ML Gl450. Decided one German car in the family is enough so she went with an 09 MDX. I was only stranded once (infamous thermostat issue), but I have had the airbag light come on 3 times, auto close driver door fail once, sunroof control unit make crazy noise (replaced under CPO before failure), and now the usual TPMS failure (just outside of CPO). I love the car and how it drive, but I had my GS400 for 8 years before this and didn't have any expenses besides standard maintenance.

I am thinking my next ride will be an LS640 with the sport package so it won't be too boring, then my wife can get her unreliable car (Range Rover), so then eventually I can join the dark side. It does show how good of a car the Audi is that I still love it even with all of these issues, but don't fool yourself into thinking these cars are reliable.e

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Thinking about Buying a 2008 A8. Need Advice