A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about picking up an A8

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 06:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what have I done.
Old 06-30-2015, 07:14 AM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Dusty280z
What I mean is if the car needed repair and Auto check says repairs were done then I don't understand why only some of the damage would have been repaired and not all of it.
Hello Dusty,

As to the accident not showing up, I see this all the time, a report shows "no accident" but the vehicle has a salvage title due to collision or many other reasons we would call "accident", I purchased a vehicle that did not show up for almost two years....

Be sure to check the air lift suspension for full operation first thing.

Best thing for you would to have an independent or Audi dealer inspection, or at least get it on the lift to inspect underside, be sure to put the MMI into "lift" and "jack mode" before going on the lift, also I always bring a tape measure and check centerline wheel to wheel both sides, walked on one that was 1 1/4" off......

Last edited by JohnnyJ A6Q; 06-30-2015 at 07:16 AM.
Old 06-30-2015, 07:24 AM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Dusty280z
what have I done.

Dusty,

Relax, if the vehicle is not up to specs as advertised, don't take it.

I am leaving for a DEP meeting for the next 5 hours.....

Be back here after.

Last edited by JohnnyJ A6Q; 06-30-2015 at 07:29 AM.
Old 06-30-2015, 09:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have spoken with the Dealer and they assure me that the title is not a rebuilt or salvage title. Hopefully they are not lying about that. My contact at that dealer told me that they send all the cars they buy through auction through a prepurchase inspection that checks for structural damage and the car checked out and that if it hadn't they would have returned it.

I'm still scared, but hopeful. It would have to be a significant problem for me to back out at this point, but frame misalignment is a serious problem.
Old 06-30-2015, 10:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Manheim is where they buy their cars, and there is somewhat of an inspection process there. They are not feeding you the whole truth--branded title is one thing, previous accident is another. If they presented the car as "clean" with no accidents they apparently lied to you. If I were you I'd walk on this deal as there are plenty of cars out there that will fit the bill. It also needs an inner passenger side tail light as it looks like water is in it from the pictures. You don't want to buy a car that you don't have a true story on the past of only to spend $2500+ on repairs in the first few months. Air suspension is expensive. Eventually the struts will go, components will fail, but don't take a car with known expensive needs right out of the hands of a used car dealer unless you have negotiated in that pricing at point of sale and are prepared to fork over the cash to get it repaired.

Last edited by SaltyIrishman; 06-30-2015 at 10:58 AM.
Old 06-30-2015, 01:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm already in the car for a $500 deposit and I can't afford to lose that money as much as I can't afford a huge repair bill. and I'm sure not willing to give them $500 for lying
Old 06-30-2015, 02:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts
Default You're so good and caring... :-)

Originally Posted by JohnnyJ A6Q
Louis,

What is your meaning by "Wow Johnny....." ?

I am 99% sure you think my post was wrong Louis, so why don't you reread it, I am here to help.

I had PM'd Dusty to give him a heads up on the new info shown on the Auto Check, as it was just added on 6/18 and 6/22 this month, and being he said the Car Fax was clean means to me he does not know of the damage history shown on Auto Check "06/22/2015 PA Auto Auction AUCTION ANNOUNCED AS STRUCTURAL DAMAGE REPAIRED", and as he now confirmed to me stating "the car fax was clean".....

I am Just trying to help on this site, that is what I come here for, to learn and help, as I said in my post "NOT trying to rain on your parade", I had a feeling by the clean car fax statement that either the dealer sent an outdated car fax, or Dusty did not have an updated report of either car fax or Auto Check, period.
Amazing man!!!!
Old 06-30-2015, 02:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts
Default The first thing to notice when to buy from a dealer is if they

have a carfax or autocheck with the car. If they don't, it's 90% sure that the car's been repaired somehow. All dealers have carfax or autocheck accounts for checking used car for themselves, it doesn't cost them $35 per check. I thought when you bought the car, the carfax check was done, given.

Cheers and good luck,

Louis
Old 06-30-2015, 02:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ltooz_a6_a8_q7
have a carfax or autocheck with the car. If they don't, it's 90% sure that the car's been repaired somehow. All dealers have carfax or autocheck accounts for checking used car for themselves, it doesn't cost them $35 per check. I thought when you bought the car, the carfax check was done, given.

Cheers and good luck,

Louis
The carfax was done and came back clean as advertised. It's the auto check that is coming back fishy
Old 06-30-2015, 02:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

To be honest, I didn't even know that Autocheck existed.

Quick Reply: Thinking about picking up an A8