A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about picking up an A8

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 05:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Only weird thing I saw was that none of the other suspension modes except dynamic were selectable in the MMI. Make sure that is working correctly when you check the car out. Nice color combo!
Old 06-30-2015, 06:01 AM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Wow Johnny... ?????

Louis,

What is your meaning by "Wow Johnny....." ?

I am 99% sure you think my post was wrong Louis, so why don't you reread it, I am here to help.

I had PM'd Dusty to give him a heads up on the new info shown on the Auto Check, as it was just added on 6/18 and 6/22 this month, and being he said the Car Fax was clean means to me he does not know of the damage history shown on Auto Check "06/22/2015 PA Auto Auction AUCTION ANNOUNCED AS STRUCTURAL DAMAGE REPAIRED", and as he now confirmed to me stating "the car fax was clean".....

I am Just trying to help on this site, that is what I come here for, to learn and help, as I said in my post "NOT trying to rain on your parade", I had a feeling by the clean car fax statement that either the dealer sent an outdated car fax, or Dusty did not have an updated report of either car fax or Auto Check, period.

Originally Posted by ltooz_a6_a8_q7
He may not care about the rework...

Cheers,

Louis

Last edited by JohnnyJ A6Q; 06-30-2015 at 06:12 AM.
Old 06-30-2015, 06:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Nice ride Dusty! It seems my thread has taken on a life of it's own. I picked up a 2005 with 134000 and a clean carfax on Saturday. It has a few blemishes and needs a few things fixed but I drove it 8 1/2 hours from Portland to home and it performed flawlessly. I might add I spent most of that time between 85 and 135 mph. Also it was a steal at $8,675.
Old 06-30-2015, 06:06 AM
Banned

Hello Dusty,

As we can not add attachments to PM's here is the PDF of AutoCheck you asked for.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
report 2006 A8L.pdf (90.5 KB, 113 views)
Old 06-30-2015, 06:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SaltyIrishman
Only weird thing I saw was that none of the other suspension modes except dynamic were selectable in the MMI. Make sure that is working correctly when you check the car out. Nice color combo!
I will check it out. How can you determine from the pictures that they are completely unselectable?

Originally Posted by JohnnyJ A6Q
Hello Dusty,

As we can not add attachments to PM's here is the PDF of AutoCheck you asked for.
Johnny, seeing that report is bittersweet and confusing. I don't see any accident reports on the vehicle either on the autocheck or on carfax. I do definitely see the repair on Auto check. I see some damage on the car in the pictures near the driver side rear tire and I wonder why I see damage if there was structural repair. If the car needed major structural repair it would have been repaired. I don't think they would have left such obvious damage. Perhaps I wont see the dents when I go pick it up.

Either way I'm going to take a copy of this with me and give them a hard time over it.
Old 06-30-2015, 06:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Dusty280z
If the car needed major structural repair it would have been repaired. I don't think they would have left such obvious damage. Perhaps I wont see the dents when I go pick it up.

What I mean is if the car needed repair and Auto check says repairs were done then I don't understand why only some of the damage would have been repaired and not all of it.
Old 06-30-2015, 06:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Dusty280z
I will check it out. How can you determine from the pictures that they are completely unselectable?
Typically they are a lighter grey and the selected mode is white on the MMI--when something is unselectable it is almost black/dark grey as in the picture. It could be the light but it looks to me like they are unselectable by the MMI. You'd be able to tell immediately once in the car.
Old 06-30-2015, 06:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Typically they are a lighter grey and the selected mode is white on the MMI--when something is unselectable it is almost black/dark grey as in the picture. It could be the light but it looks to me like they are unselectable by the MMI. You'd be able to tell immediately once in the car.
What might cause that problem assuming the possible structural repair. Based upon your guess as to what the problem is how hard is it to fix?
Old 06-30-2015, 06:55 AM
Banned

I have never seen any MMI display in lighter gray as normal, they are always red and the selected is white, or all gray when the key is off, meaning with the key off even the selected is gray, not white, something does not look right here, but as said you will be able to tell upon seeing and operating it.

Typically they are a lighter grey and the selected mode is white on the MMI--when something is unselectable it is almost black/dark grey as in the picture.
Attached Images     
Old 06-30-2015, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Johnny is right -- apologies for the brain fart. I was about to walk out to my car and share a screenshot.

Actually the suspension light is on in one of the pictures in the dash as well [lower right light in the instrument cluster]. Not trying to freak you out, but it should be checked out for sure. You shouldn't have to buy the car unless it is in working order. Not sure what your state laws are but you should have a really good case with the Autocheck papers that they did not disclose [but did disclose to the auction] last week.

Last edited by SaltyIrishman; 06-30-2015 at 07:09 AM.

Quick Reply: Thinking about picking up an A8