A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To those who've see the sunroof drain discharge nozzle, pass side fenderwell...

Old 06-17-2014, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts
Default To those who've see the sunroof drain discharge nozzle, pass side fenderwell...

Got the wheel off and the fender liner half off and then some... Do not see anything which could pass for a sunroof drain anywhere! Where I THINK it should be, there is a cylindrical, very sturdy metal projection, 1 cm X 2-3 cm. It has no function which I can determine. I'd post pics but my memory card is "too full to open" the app to delete some pics. What a stupid app (android photo app came on the phone).
Old 06-17-2014, 09:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Forgot to mention it's the REAR passenger side; here's a view of where Audi CLAIMS it is...

I HAVE seen the front ones and assume the rears look similar, but there's nothing there!

Last edited by aTOMic; 06-17-2014 at 09:46 AM.
Old 06-17-2014, 03:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Is it item 3?

Originally Posted by aTOMic*
Forgot to mention it's the REAR passenger side; here's a view of where Audi CLAIMS it is...

I HAVE seen the front ones and assume the rears look similar, but there's nothing there!

Item 3 looks to be the rear discharge.
Old 06-17-2014, 05:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Obviously...

...but on my passenger side the item#3 does not exist as shown.
I found it, though. It's exactly in line with the forward seam of the filler door. Like way behind the axle (not as shown). It's also quite short, a black nipple with a flat one-way closure, which I circumcised to permit full flow. It was clogged just enough to make me wonder if it was clogged. I cut it so it's open 3-5 mm ; now I'll probably have complaints from the little woman of gas smell in the cabin with the sunroof on vent and the A/C on recirculate.
(I have had sunroof leak issues for a long time in case anyone was not aware). I'm afraid that my problem is that some imbecile took a shop air hose to the sunroof drains and disconnected it within the headliner. You would think with FOUR drains, there would be a fail-safe against this sort of thing but audi, who's settles MILLIONS of dollars' worth of "water ingress" claims starting (before) 1998, would know how to set up a drainage system for a sunroof!
/rant off
Old 06-19-2014, 11:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

The one on the driver's side is symmetric with the other. If you go looking for it I'd recommend removing the fenderwell liner starting from the rear (edit), although it's near the top of the curve it's definitely toward the rear. It's also hard to see due to being short and hidden behind some solenoid & tubing.

Mine was clear (as in not clogged). I'm beginning to dread the possibility that one of the sunroof drain tubes is disconnected above the headliner. Don't even want to think about removing the headliner!

-Tom

Last edited by aTOMic; 06-19-2014 at 02:56 PM.
Old 06-19-2014, 03:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

The imbeciles are at the vendor who sold the sunroff assembly to Meritor. No names.......
Old 06-19-2014, 04:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Mister Bally
The imbeciles are at the vendor who sold the sunroff assembly to Meritor. No names.......
Hmmm, don't quite "get it", but agree there is some foolish design being used here - over a period of years.

Now, the only drain I have not checked is passenger front, and I will do that as soon as I get started on my epic front-end rebuild (brakes, axles, control arms and swaybar links), in the next couple days. I am considering what liquid with which to test the tubes, or maybe a smoke machine since I have a vacuum problem, too... I wonder if grain alcohol would work... at least I could catch the leakage in a glass - on the rocks (yuk).

Once I went to school with a bad alcoholic, and he awoke in his 1970s Thunderbird half (passenger half IIRC) submerged in the lake.
God really does watch over little kids and drunks.
Anyway, he called me in the AM to try to pull that POS out (I had a K5 Blazer), and I said how awful it must've been spending the night waaaaaaay out in the country, all wet in his wrecked car; his response was "the worst part was not having ice... I had to drink Scotch and lakewater all night"...

Cheers,
Tom
Old 08-16-2014, 01:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Got the front fender (passenger side) out, no sign of a drain.
Don't tell me it's behind the ww fluid reservoir?
Old 08-16-2014, 03:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Bad news is : yes, it is.
Good news is: Mine's not clogged.

Pics someday...