A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seeking Advice on Multiple Issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 10:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seeking Advice on Multiple Issues

(mostly all electrical)

I guess I’ll just list the issues and if anyone has input, feel free to post away. I want to have some info or ideas before just heading to the dealer or indy with a cryptic list. Something to note, there are no error codes being thrown on any of these and the battery shows 100% capacity.

- Air suspension, at times (10% of time) acts on it’s own… up, down without being directed. Yesterday I had just the left rear at standard height with the rest of the car at dynamic height.

- Main Interior lights “pulsating” while motor is on. They do not do this when the car is off such as when and you get in… just while the engine is running.

- Brake lights pulsate

- Power windows erratic: some rise with convenience touch and some don’t. This will change… rears to front and back and forth. Sometimes they work fine, sometimes they don’t. Sometimes one window will go up while another goes down.

- Three times in past month the yellow triangle ESP warning light in dash has illuminated. Once the key is cycled it was gone.

- There seems to be a whine from the center of the car on deceleration. It goes away as soon as gas is applied and tranny is acting fine. In fact, trans was just serviced at 70k miles and there was not a spec of metal. Sound seems to be coming from center of car so I don’t know whether tranny or diff or what else is down there OR If this is normal and it's just a little louder than my old A8. (I've had car month and a half)

As always, TIA for any and all input. Obviously, the car is going to someone for inspection, I just want to hear as many ideas as possible and see whether anyone else out there has had any of these issues.
Old 04-21-2010, 04:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Even though the battery reads 100%, unless you know it is fairly new, perhaps it has reaced the end of its' useful life. Or, if non-maintenance free, it could be very low on electrolyte (top up with distilled water). A PITA to get at-I always removed my battery to do it. The pulsating lights tell me that the battery is not acting as a large capacitor which is what they do besides storing massive energy. A massive ground or +12v failure from the battery is also possible. Maybe not from the battery to the starter, but from the battery to the other electrical junctions all over the car that route power to the various features. An easy way to verify it is not the battery is to temporarily add another battery with jumper cables or one of those portable start-o-matics which are a battery. Connect and satrt the car. No difference with a fully charged booster battery then the problem lies elsewhere.

Can't help with the transmission noise. Maybe someone else can chime in. As far as the ESP light, I get it a few times a year. One time I ran diagnostics and it said yaw sensor open which means a loose connector or wire or sensor itself. Since it hasn't catostraphically failed, I don't worry about it.

The suspension having one corner different than the other three sounds like a suspension height sensor broken/disconnected/linkage disconnected fron the sensor or the trailing arm or whatever that suspension part is called. I think Audi calls them "trapezoidal links" or some other expensive sounding term. I have posted photos of the suspension height sensors a few years ago. See my picture poster.

Originally Posted by kastockton
(mostly all electrical)

I guess I’ll just list the issues and if anyone has input, feel free to post away. I want to have some info or ideas before just heading to the dealer or indy with a cryptic list. Something to note, there are no error codes being thrown on any of these and the battery shows 100% capacity.

- Air suspension, at times (10% of time) acts on it’s own… up, down without being directed. Yesterday I had just the left rear at standard height with the rest of the car at dynamic height.

- Main Interior lights “pulsating” while motor is on. They do not do this when the car is off such as when and you get in… just while the engine is running.

- Brake lights pulsate

- Power windows erratic: some rise with convenience touch and some don’t. This will change… rears to front and back and forth. Sometimes they work fine, sometimes they don’t. Sometimes one window will go up while another goes down.

- Three times in past month the yellow triangle ESP warning light in dash has illuminated. Once the key is cycled it was gone.

- There seems to be a whine from the center of the car on deceleration. It goes away as soon as gas is applied and tranny is acting fine. In fact, trans was just serviced at 70k miles and there was not a spec of metal. Sound seems to be coming from center of car so I don’t know whether tranny or diff or what else is down there OR If this is normal and it's just a little louder than my old A8. (I've had car month and a half)

As always, TIA for any and all input. Obviously, the car is going to someone for inspection, I just want to hear as many ideas as possible and see whether anyone else out there has had any of these issues.
Old 04-23-2010, 05:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the advice... great idea about the extra jumper battery. If I get anywhere I'll pass along results.

KAS