A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire opinion: A/S 3 or Advan S.4

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2014, 06:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Tire opinion: A/S 3 or Advan S.4

I am presently riding on Yokohama Advan S. 4' s, which I am happy with. But I am also considering Michelin A/S 3. I have a 2007 NWB with sport option and 255/40-19 tires. My search disclosed generally favorable comments as to the A/S 3, with a couple of bad reviews.

Before I pull the trigger in a month or so I hope to get some feedback from A8 owners.

I simply want a tire suitable for a wide range of temperatures and at most moderate snow. Good "feel" year round is a priority, as well as good wet weather grip.

On thing pushing me toward the A/S 3 is that if it is as good as the hype, and I won't know for sure unless I have seat time,it might be a possibility for my 1985 911 when I need tires next year. I'm figuring on driving that car more in the winter (not in snow or if there is road salt) and a high performance tire suitable for colder temperature would do the trick, plus it's hard to find really good summer tires for the 16 inch wheels on the 911. Mike
Old 08-28-2014, 05:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

loved my advans for 4 yrs and 40k on D3. cant attest to other tires. cheers john
Old 08-29-2014, 04:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks John, good to get confirmation on my opinion. As it turns out, I had decided to go with a new set of S4's, but then I found out that they were in the process of being replaced by the Advan Sport A/S, which I ordered from Tire Rack yesterday based upon solid, but limited, reviews plus a nice introductory price. We'll see. Mike
Old 08-29-2014, 08:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Just installed Toyo Motivo rubber 285/20 to replace P Zero Nero. Instantly noticed a quieter ride and stiffer sidewall. 60k mile warranty was better than the A/S 3 for same price. I don't deal with cold weather/snow more than a few days each year.
Old 08-30-2014, 07:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

I have a few months on my AS3s and so far very quiet tire, grip comparable to my previous Conti's, but the tire is very ugly as the side treads aren't as subtle or raked as I'd like. I'll likely appreciate them when it snows. I chose them over the Conti's due to mfr rebate, but would buy these again, but Conti's at same price would be my preference from looks alone. On very hot days the tires felt a little mushy, but the sensation faded as I drove.
Old 08-30-2014, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts
Default Be careful on the Michelins in snow...

They are not a strong performer in the snow, and nothing remotely like a dedicated winter tire. The ratings I have found from road tests are typically pretty marginal for the performance Michelin AS's in the snow. I used their predecessor the AS + on the W12; a few other longer term posters on the board have noted the same. Something like the Conti DWS has much more of a snow useful pattern than the Michelins do for A/S's, but then gives up some on performance and quiet.

Got caught in Aspen in a snow storm w/ Michelin AS +'s (dry otherwise the whole trip). Wife and I each spun and slid the W12 even with the most gentle driving. Nothing like the Sotto Zero winters I use. I plan to get AS3's when the current summer Dunlops wear out, but I live in the SF Bay Area and only try to use them in swing season snow in the Sierra's if I get caught in an early (pre-Thanksgiving) or late season (Spring) storm. Obviously in the non-snow, non-cold SF Bay Area they can be a strong all year tire to run.
Old 09-01-2014, 07:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

I agree with MP4.2. I went from worn down Conti DWS to new Michelin AS3's last winter. I think the new AS3's were about the same in the snow as the worn DWS. But the AS3's are pretty grippy in summer rain. So the AS3's, if you want to call them an all season tire, are really made to suit the summer/spring season, not so much snow. Just look at the AS3 tread, not much in the way of groves and interlocking sipes, etc.
Old 09-02-2014, 11:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Mike911A8
Thanks John, good to get confirmation on my opinion. As it turns out, I had decided to go with a new set of S4's, but then I found out that they were in the process of being replaced by the Advan Sport A/S, which I ordered from Tire Rack yesterday based upon solid, but limited, reviews plus a nice introductory price. We'll see. Mike
Would you be so kind as to give us an early report on the Yokahoma Advan Sport A/S when you first get them?

I had some Hankook Ventus S1 Noble2's installed today and am shocked how loud they are on even moderate pavement. The reviews say they are quiet but mine have been howling all afternoon.

Discount Tire has a 30 day return policy and the new Yokos you have just bought are next on my list. Some other Audi owners also think the Michelin AS3s are on the loud side so I am hopeful the new Yokos will hit the sweet spot between performance and comfort.
Old 09-06-2014, 04:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Onthebeam, I had the Yokohama Advan Sport A/S mounted two days ago and so far I am very pleased. As to road noise, which seems to be your primary concern, they are very quiet. I drove a stretch of concrete interstate with the radio turned off (75 mph, dry) and all I heard was a little wind noise. Tire pressure 38 front, 36 rear.

As for handling and comfort, I drove some two lane winding asphalt back roads quite agressively, and they are at least as good as the Advan S4's, which I thought were excellent. The S4's were approaching 4 32nds when they came off, and the suspension was set, as always, to dynamic.

No rain yet. Hope this helps, Mike
Old 09-16-2014, 08:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

So I have a little wobbling, and some road noise, and I started looking around and saw this gem! I guess I am leaning towards Yokohama Advan Sport A/S or Pirelli P7. Enough people have had apprehension with the Michelin A/S 3 that I don't want to pay a premium for them. I was planning on getting a dedicated snow for winter, but I doubt I will now. I will just drive the wagon in real bad weather, but somewhat ok snow performance on an all season would be nice. Thoughts?

Quick Reply: Tire opinion: A/S 3 or Advan S.4