A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailer wiring harness. I'm lost!

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2015, 11:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trailer wiring harness. I'm lost!

Can someone make sense of what these people sent me? Looks like two different set ups. Which one should I use and how?
Old 10-10-2015, 11:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

One goes on the car, the other mounts on the trailer. Not sure about the item in the plastic bag. Probably goes inside your car.
Old 10-10-2015, 11:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Mister Bally
One goes on the car, the other mounts on the trailer. Not sure about the item in the plastic bag. Probably goes inside your car.
Is all this just plug and play?
Old 10-10-2015, 12:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 579 Likes on 485 Posts

Likewise, not sure about the plastic bag thing. The large silver box is screwed directly under the battery for factory, though that module is a little different than mine. In practice you can tuck it into either side of the battery in that compartment area; in a W12 you have to because the rear video switch box is under the battery; and oddly uses the identical switch/control box too.

To do it, you have to take off the bumper cover. You place the connector (the large back thing at the bottom) down near the center tongue area. Again mine is a little different and seems more finished. Actually, it looks like the same connector is at the end of the large black loom they sent you--that's how you want it; all pre done and in one piece. The idea is you cut the lower bumper cover underneath for where the hidden tongue fits in, plus space to swing that connector housing down 90 degrees. It looks like from that hole in the loose one at bottom of pic. they are just using a bolt to pivot it around or something. The inside of the bumper cover is actually pre marked if you look for some ridges in the plastic for where you cut it, though I cut mine a little tighter. You do it w/ a dremel tool.

From the center tongue area the wires go along the body or bumper cover over to an an area below the right side tail light and enter there. There is a rubber grommet that passes through the sheet metal; all hidden until bumper cover comes off.

Finally inside, you take battery out. Then you get the fuse panel out on that side and change some wiring behind it and add a few fuses, plus a few other plug and play things in that area of existing harness. Finally you go into VCDS and check a box on car options and change a code or two (IIRC) to tell system you have the trailer set up. After that, it adds it to the menu and car configuration so you can auto defeat the rear parking sensors, tell suspension not to go into Sport mode and tell ESP to watch for trailer sway and act appropriately to counteract. All this step by step stuff is in the instructions, which it sounds like you need:

I would call/ email co. you sourced it from with following:

1. Why do you have both the large harness AND the plug with the wire cut off in the lowest part of picture. Should be one or the other I think. And, where is the hinged piece you bolt under bumper which holds the trailer 14 pin connector end and allows you to swing it down from its normally concealed location?

2. What is the item in bag in the center? Seems like some unrelated part?

3. Where are the printed instructions for the car wiring tie in and changes?

Also, you will need a converter to get from that 14 pin connector in the kit to what ever you use. You can find the male 14 pin Euro plugs on EBay UK if not from wherever harness came from. I just bought a plug end like that, got a spiral springy trailer connector cable from West Marine with my 4 prong flat standard basic USA trailer wiring, cut the normal car side end off it, and made a custom one.

As I've posted before, if your trailer lighting is all LED, you needs at least some incandescent or resistance won't be high enough (unless they tweaked what is in that control box or something). I just went back to incandescent tail/turn light assemblies on my trailer.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 10-10-2015 at 12:28 PM.
Old 10-10-2015, 01:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
Likewise, not sure about the plastic bag thing. The large silver box is screwed directly under the battery for factory, though that module is a little different than mine. In practice you can tuck it into either side of the battery in that compartment area; in a W12 you have to because the rear video switch box is under the battery; and oddly uses the identical switch/control box too

To do it, you have to take off the bumper cover. You place the connector (the large back thing at the bottom) down near the center tongue area. Again mine is a little different and seems more finished. Actually, it looks like the same connector is at the end of the large black loom they sent you--that's how you want it; all pre done and in one piece. The idea is you cut the lower bumper cover underneath for where the hidden tongue fits in, plus space to swing that connector housing down 90 degrees. It looks like from that hole in the loose one at bottom of pic. they are just using a bolt to pivot it around or something. The inside of the bumper cover is actually pre marked if you look for some ridges in the plastic for where you cut it, though I cut mine a little tighter. You do it w/ a dremel tool.

From the center tongue area the wires go along the body or bumper cover over to an an area below the right side tail light and enter there. There is a rubber grommet that passes through the sheet metal; all hidden until bumper cover comes off.

Finally inside, you take battery out. Then you get the fuse panel out on that side and change some wiring behind it and add a few fuses, plus a few other plug and play things in that area of existing harness. Finally you go into VCDS and check a box on car options and change a code or two (IIRC) to tell system you have the trailer set up. After that, it adds it to the menu and car configuration so you can auto defeat the rear parking sensors, tell suspension not to go into Sport mode and tell ESP to watch for trailer sway and act appropriately to counteract. All this step by step stuff is in the instructions, which it sounds like you need:

I would call/ email co. you sourced it from with following:

1. Why do you have both the large harness AND the plug with the wire cut off in the lowest part of picture. Should be one or the other I think. And, where is the hinged piece you bolt under bumper which holds the trailer 14 pin connector end and allows you to swing it down from its normally concealed location?

2. What is the item in bag in the center? Seems like some unrelated part?

3. Where are the printed instructions for the car wiring tie in and changes?

Also, you will need a converter to get from that 14 pin connector in the kit to what ever you use. You can find the male 14 pin Euro plugs on EBay UK if not from wherever harness came from. I just bought a plug end like that, got a spiral springy trailer connector cable from West Marine with my 4 prong flat standard basic USA trailer wiring, cut the normal car side end off it, and made a custom one.

As I've posted before, if your trailer lighting is all LED, you needs at least some incandescent or resistance won't be high enough (unless they tweaked what is in that control box or something). I just went back to incandescent tail/turn light assemblies on my trailer.
I have the instructions, they are written in English but obviously by a German. Guess I will figure it out