A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tranny Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 07:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

Unless i have room to build ramps like the picture, I wouldn't touch the transmission fluids even if it shifts all over the place. Nice ramps😎

Hats off to Mishar,

Louis
Old 04-17-2015, 06:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

The engineer in me says that the ramps are dangerous. There is no visible diagonal bracing. I would add two diagonal braces on each side in a X configuration from corner to corner.

Once that is done, then it should be good to go assuming that the X bracing was screwed into each upright.

I would use something like 2" right angle steel as X bracing. Steel would be cheap. One piece of steel on the inside and another on the outside of each ramp.

Last edited by richard-tx; 04-17-2015 at 06:27 AM.
Old 04-17-2015, 06:39 AM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts

Those ramps are impressive and taken a lot of effort to build but they take up a ton of space.

I've got my eye on one of these. The bendpak quick jack.

http://www.bendpak.com/Shop-Equipment/QuickJack/BL-5000.aspx
Old 04-17-2015, 06:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by richard-tx
The engineer in me says that the ramps are dangerous. There is no visible diagonal bracing. I would add two diagonal braces on each side in a X configuration from corner to corner.

Once that is done, then it should be good to go assuming that the X bracing was screwed into each upright.

I would use something like 2" right angle steel as X bracing. Steel would be cheap. One piece of steel on the inside and another on the outside of each ramp.
Old engineer in me says that 5/8" plywood backing glued and nailed is much stronger than braces and it is not in the way when stored ramps are used as sheaves.
Old 04-17-2015, 06:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by dvs_dave
Those ramps are impressive and taken a lot of effort to build but they take up a ton of space.

I've got my eye on one of these. The bendpak quick jack.

BL-5000 QuickJack- Portable Car Lift- Racetrack jack- Ranger
If you are going to spend some more serious money this one is very nice:

Free access to all parts is important. One you are looking at is more for a tire/brake work. I wouldn't be happy underneath it.

P.S. Used as shelves for winter/summer wheels and much more they are actually not taking any space.

Last edited by mishar; 04-17-2015 at 06:51 AM.
Old 04-17-2015, 07:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by richard-tx

? Plywood = inherent bracing in all directions, not just diagonal. Std. modern sheer wall. The more relevant diagonal brace would be between the two units so it can't pancake. But IIRC Misha may have some removable pieces there, plus I see the twin bolted cross pieces for starters.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 04-17-2015 at 07:27 AM.
Old 04-17-2015, 07:21 AM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts

Two post lift would be ideal, but you need a ton of headroom and in my case a new/heavily modified garage door as its an up and over type. Not to mention a house in the burbs. My downtown Chicago Townhouse twin garage just isn't spacious enough.
Old 04-17-2015, 03:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mishar
I would recommend simple and cheap ATF refreshment. Just draining about 5 liters and pouring 5 liters of fresh Lifeguard6 (or whatever is already in there). That is less than dropping the pan and replacing the filter, or flashing it three times in order to replace most of those 8 liters, but it is much better than "lifetime" ATF. Much cheaper too. Only important thing is proper level, but the procedure is not complicated.
Hello mishar, i'm EISENMANN from Spain. Your recomendation is just the same that told me the other week my ZF dealer ( friend of mine ) when he take a look in my S8 2008. In the S8 to fit out the pan you have to get out the 2 lines on the exhausts, and a lot of pieces, also one coolant Little line.

A lot of hours of job to get out the pan. My question for you is, if i drain and refill without touching the pan, the ZF dealer has to make some software actualization in the transmission ?.

I forgot to ask him about this. My car has actually ( 128.000 Kms ), he recomend me to do it about 90.000 milles ( 150.000 Kms ) or 8 years.

Thank's

EISENMANN
Old 04-17-2015, 05:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by EISENMANN
Hello mishar, i'm EISENMANN from Spain. Your recomendation is just the same that told me the other week my ZF dealer ( friend of mine ) when he take a look in my S8 2008. In the S8 to fit out the pan you have to get out the 2 lines on the exhausts, and a lot of pieces, also one coolant Little line.

A lot of hours of job to get out the pan. My question for you is, if i drain and refill without touching the pan, the ZF dealer has to make some software actualization in the transmission ?.

I forgot to ask him about this. My car has actually ( 128.000 Kms ), he recomend me to do it about 90.000 milles ( 150.000 Kms ) or 8 years.

Thank's

EISENMANN
If you refill it with same ATF there is no need for a software update.
Old 04-18-2015, 01:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello mishar, thank you for your response. The S8 transmission is the 6HP26A61, can you confir me that this tranny uses LifeGuard 6 ?

I search in google and i think that it uses LG 6, but in other places i real LG 8.

The ZF dealer says LG 6.

Regards

EISENMANN

Quick Reply: Tranny Oil Change