A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission 'hoot' tsb

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 09:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts
Default +1 here too; various additional info.

And in turn, you can get the LifeGuard 6 from a variety of sellers on eBay, down to about $25/liter depending on which ad. You can also get the Audi equivalent (aka "Gold" for its color) from either AudiUSAParts or ECS Tuning for somewhat more--Audi # G055005A2.

ZF doesn't sell the Blue equivalent fluid anymore (LifeGuard 6+), saying instead to use LifeGuard 8, but you can still get it via the Audi part #: G055162A2. It now sells for just slightly more than "Gold" via the Audi OE #, while originally it sold for more like 2x. The W12 spec always was for Blue, so I use that type and thus the Audi OE. As Brozee suggested in his reply, if I had a 4.2 and some shift quality issue, I would probably just start with a fluid and filter change with standard Gold (LG 6), plus the tranny adaptation you can trigger with VAG COM/VCDS.

FWIW to supplement this reply about the number of drains, my calcs showed to get to a 90-95% cumulative change, it takes 3 drains. Two drains gets more like to 80%. This assumes one of the drains (only) includes a pan pull to get at the filter. Doing so gets over another liter + out for that drain cycle that is in the pan but below the drain hole exit. The total quantity of fluid spec'ed in the TSB for the full change over to a different fluid type (Blue or Green) suggests to me Audi was using/implying a three drain cycle regimen.

Also supplementing for others, if you search the web there is a large database of posts on the 6HP units, particularly for BMW's. Both BMW and Jag published a TSB equivalent for the hoot, and also went down the path of improved fluid. Audi's TSB seems the most comprehensive though, having read all of them back to when I drove a friend's Jag XJ8 with the "hoot," which would also trigger a CEL at times. I have also come across a fair number of separate BMW posts about the 1-2 shift, described at times as the clunk. For Audis, I have heard little of that; that's more a five speed 5HP24A (lemon) tranny issue for Audis, and even the old four speed 4HP. If you search long enough, Ford also published some stuff on the 6HP tranny for its application, and Hyundai/Kia of all things has an extensive diagnostic publication on it, though not really around the "hoot" issue particularly.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 06-05-2014 at 09:14 PM.
Old 06-06-2014, 02:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

if I had a 4.2 and some shift quality issue, I would probably just start with a fluid and filter change with standard Gold (LG 6), plus the tranny adaptation you can trigger with VAG COM/VCDS.
[/QUOTE]

As a preventitive action, I am getting mine done with the timing belt at a solid indie shop soon. What is the firmware/programming I can do with my Ross Tech?
Works fine now, want to keep it this way.
Old 06-06-2014, 06:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts
Default The programming/update is dealer only--

that is, the programming described in the Audi TSB. It is a reflash of the tranny control unit (TCU) and has to be done on their equipment, tied back to the central Audi computers in Germany. Not a DIY, not available via CD/DVD, etc. Dealers charge 1 or 1-½ hours for it if stand alone from other work.

What you can do is the adaptation if you want via VAG-COM/VCDS, which is a relearning of shift characteristics and driving style. That's what I was referring to. Once triggered you do a prescribed drive with a series of shifts; it's covered in the TSB IIRC. But it doesn't change the baseline programming of the TCU.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 06-06-2014 at 06:51 AM.
Old 06-06-2014, 08:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

This I have read about. I will stick it as is. The driving, stopping, accelerating, and other items can wait till there are issues.
Old 06-06-2014, 01:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Panelhead
This I have read about. I will stick it as is. The driving, stopping, accelerating, and other items can wait till there are issues.
As long as you stick with the original "gold" 6 fluid, you're fine. However, the TSB warns (take this as seriously as you'd like), that going to the "blue" 6+ or green (8) fluid, requires the software, or else transmission damage will occur.
Old 06-06-2014, 01:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

I agree with everyone that I would do a filter and flush with gold fluid and see how it goes. If id does not work, I would drain and refill it again and that would probably do the trick.
Old 06-06-2014, 04:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My local shop (that specializes in German autos, mainly BMW/Audi) recommends and has great success with LiquiMoly Top Tec ATF 1800, same "gold" fluid, and is called out specifically for ZF 6HP transmissions as can be seen here:

http://www.liqui-moly.de/liquimoly/produktdb.nsf/id/en_3687.html?Opendocument&land=DE&vcmstemplate=mob ile&redirect=1

The quote from their website is "Top Tec ATF 1800 was developed primarily for use in type ZF 6HP19/26/32 automatic transmissions".

Any thoughts or experience with this fluid if one is looking to keep it in the "gold" realm and not go blue or green?

Last edited by nathanwind; 06-06-2014 at 04:40 PM.
Old 06-06-2014, 07:19 PM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts

Reality is that it will be just fine and work just as well as the ZF LF6. Although just how much of the all important snake oil additive is in the ZF fluid is anyone's guess. Protectionism and scaremongering by the manufacturers is alive and well.
Old 06-07-2014, 08:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dvs_dave
Reality is that it will be just fine and work just as well as the ZF LF6. Although just how much of the all important snake oil additive is in the ZF fluid is anyone's guess. Protectionism and scaremongering by the manufacturers is alive and well.
Yes, yes it is. The way I look at this, for something that you do every 40k-50k, who really cares about saving $50 or $100 every 3 or 4 years (if you even keep the car that long) to accept what amounts to potential risk.

It's your car, so you do what you think is the smartest choice.
Old 09-20-2022, 08:02 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tsb for transmission

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
And in turn, you can get the LifeGuard 6 from a variety of sellers on eBay, down to about $25/liter depending on which ad. You can also get the Audi equivalent (aka "Gold" for its color) from either AudiUSAParts or ECS Tuning for somewhat more--Audi # G055005A2.

ZF doesn't sell the Blue equivalent fluid anymore (LifeGuard 6+), saying instead to use LifeGuard 8, but you can still get it via the Audi part #: G055162A2. It now sells for just slightly more than "Gold" via the Audi OE #, while originally it sold for more like 2x. The W12 spec always was for Blue, so I use that type and thus the Audi OE. As Brozee suggested in his reply, if I had a 4.2 and some shift quality issue, I would probably just start with a fluid and filter change with standard Gold (LG 6), plus the tranny adaptation you can trigger with VAG COM/VCDS.

FWIW to supplement this reply about the number of drains, my calcs showed to get to a 90-95% cumulative change, it takes 3 drains. Two drains gets more like to 80%. This assumes one of the drains (only) includes a pan pull to get at the filter. Doing so gets over another liter + out for that drain cycle that is in the pan but below the drain hole exit. The total quantity of fluid spec'ed in the TSB for the full change over to a different fluid type (Blue or Green) suggests to me Audi was using/implying a three drain cycle regimen.

Also supplementing for others, if you search the web there is a large database of posts on the 6HP units, particularly for BMW's. Both BMW and Jag published a TSB equivalent for the hoot, and also went down the path of improved fluid. Audi's TSB seems the most comprehensive though, having read all of them back to when I drove a friend's Jag XJ8 with the "hoot," which would also trigger a CEL at times. I have also come across a fair number of separate BMW posts about the 1-2 shift, described at times as the clunk. For Audis, I have heard little of that; that's more a five speed 5HP24A (lemon) tranny issue for Audis, and even the old four speed 4HP. If you search long enough, Ford also published some stuff on the 6HP tranny for its application, and Hyundai/Kia of all things has an extensive diagnostic publication on it, though not really around the "hoot" issue particularly.
Hi I haven’t been able to find the tsb and searched the net do you happen to have a copy of the pdf or where I can find it ?
thanks

Quick Reply: Transmission 'hoot' tsb