A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

uneven, premature wear on rear tires

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 05:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You guys are the best! Have to drive to Mass today (from central NY), but am definitely trying to get it done tomorrow out there if possible.

Thanks!
Old 11-16-2014, 01:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sapman
You guys are the best! Have to drive to Mass today (from central NY), but am definitely trying to get it done tomorrow out there if possible. Thanks!
That's quite a drive, you should keep an eye on thread wear and PSI levels.
Old 11-18-2014, 04:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Update. Took car to dealer this am, and they say they couldn't perform alignment due to "left rear lower hub assembly bushing" worn. Plus front upper control arm bushings tearing. $3000+. Figures. This after replacing all 8 front control arms in June.

Wife says car's got to go. Guess I tend to agree with her at this point. Became a money pit in the last year. I'd still like a second opinion, but she thinks it's a waste of time. The first two years were great anyway.
Old 11-18-2014, 04:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Actually I did just have that wheel bearing replaced in September. I don't know if this hub assembly bushing is related to that part, or exactly what they mean by it. I should have asked to talk to the mechanic that looked at it.
Old 11-18-2014, 04:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by sapman
I'd still like a second opinion, ...
Should I put my wife online?

This cars are definite money pit if you have to repair them at a dealer. So your better half is not completely wrong. Actually, if she agrees that D4 would solve the problem, than she is totally right. But if Camry, or such, would be her choice, than she has no clue. Don't listen to her or you will be sorry.

That rear bushing is less than $40. Replacing shouldn't take more than 1 hour. Replacing all 4 of them may be 3 hours.

Regarding front's, something is wrong there. Either they used some bad aftermarket bushings, or they tightened those bolts with suspension hanging, or your dealer wants more job.

But if you fix it all you will be driving $100K car not Camry. Than again if D4 is an option ...
Old 11-18-2014, 05:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

I've been looking online for that bushing, but come up empty. Can you post a link? Did that wording sound right, "rear lower hub assembly bushing"?
Old 11-18-2014, 05:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

4E0505171N
Old 11-18-2014, 05:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Much appreciated! Still trying to picture how all this looks/comes apart on the car.

Thanks,
Tim
Old 11-18-2014, 05:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 579 Likes on 485 Posts
Default Front upper control arms...

See my long recent post documenting all that. Dealer will be really pricy for that work, but you want to use either dealer or Lemforder (the OES) parts. If you used anything else back in June, much of what is out there is junk. If it was dealer by chance, those should have a 12 month parts warranty.

A8 and S8 Upper Control Arm Bushings--Part #'s/Differences - AudiWorld Forums
Old 11-19-2014, 06:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yeah don't know which was used, as was done by indy mechanic who is supposed to know about this stuff, due to owning an A8 himself. He did say he was scrambling to get the parts, so I'm not sure how discriminating he was.

Are any "unusual" tools needed to work on those front bushings, or the ones on the rear hub assembly? Hoping to get a chance to look it over better Friday.

Thanks

Quick Reply: uneven, premature wear on rear tires