A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upper control arm change S8

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2015, 03:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by ltooz_a6_a8_q7
Mr Bally,
Thanks for the warning. I'm not doing it today until I get all the new bolts just in case they snapped off just like you said. Do you know what sizes are these bolts or I just have to buy them from the dealers only.

Cheers,

Louis
If both ends snap off, you have to remove everything and work on a drill press. I did and still was unsuccessful so the old snapped off bolt somewhat hollowed out is still installed. I was able to drill a smaller hole through but it drifted off center. When I attempted to go larger, I was hitting the ball joint ends which are hardened through and could not be drilled. Instead, a smaller bolt was installed to provide peace of mind.

You might be able to avoid all removal and drill press if you have a drill with a securing chain and torque lever. Not sure if that would fit in the confines of the wheel well. A drill press is more accurate but my smaller bit drifted off center in the hardened bolt.

Always replace those bolts with ones from VW/Audi. They are treated for the dissimilar metal types and well worth the cost.
Old 05-03-2015, 03:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts
Default Fortunately most likely...

Fortunately most likely, he's a California car like me, so less risk. Dealer had mine out at times though, but probably true for a fair number back under warranty. One of mine was easy, other just a bit stiff but a few taps or some screwdriver action (against head only, never pinch area) was all it took

Originally Posted by Mister Bally
If both ends snap off, you have to remove everything and work on a drill press. I did and still was unsuccessful so the old snapped off bolt somewhat hollowed out is still installed. I was able to drill a smaller hole through but it drifted off center. When I attempted to go larger, I was hitting the ball joint ends which are hardened through and could not be drilled. Instead, a smaller bolt was installed to provide peace of mind.

You might be able to avoid all removal and drill press if you have a drill with a securing chain and torque lever. Not sure if that would fit in the confines of the wheel well. A drill press is more accurate but my smaller bit drifted off center in the hardened bolt.

Always replace those bolts with ones from VW/Audi. They are treated for the dissimilar metal types and well worth the cost.
Old 05-03-2015, 04:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts
Default I'll definitely get these bolts before starting working on it

next week. Never work on a Sunday with suspension without extra bolts and nuts. Thanks for all your helps, so glad MR Bally warned just in time. I know, CA cars may not have the problems, but clumsy me may screw them up.
I did measure the height from the knuckle to the top when the car on the ground, so when I place the new ones on, I'll jack the suspension up to the correct height before tighten everything down.

Thanks guys,

Louis
Old 05-03-2015, 06:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Like my late Dad once told me; an uncle once said to his son who was building a model wood boat and needed brass wood screws on Sunday; "I know where thers's a hardware store open on Sundays". It was my Dad's workshop . He had a hardware assortment (boxes of every fastener known) all marked and in order. This was in the era of no Home Despot/Menards/Blowes etc. And Ace Hardware as well as True Value (Hi, Pat Summerall here) were six day a week operations. Now we have 24/7 places. Anyway, my dad's stuff that I inherited was pre-Metric but I have a small assortment of Metric hardware too. I can make Non-Metric stuff work for temporary fixes and have used thos heavy duty bolts, washers and nuts on many exhaust systems in the past. The price was right as well.
Old 05-04-2015, 06:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Louis,
I have some spare bolts and nuts if you run into any trouble. If you car has been a CA car it's whole life, removal should be quite easy. Just ping me if you need them over the weekend.

Last edited by 05SilverA8; 05-04-2015 at 07:09 PM.
Old 05-05-2015, 06:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

Thanks,
I'll get some at Carlson Audi this week sometimes before the weekend. If I break all of them and the new ones, I'll definitely ping you. How's your A8L these days?

Cheers,

Louis
Old 05-05-2015, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another trick that may help remove the sized or non-sized outer bolt. After spraying it down with wd-40 etc. and letting it soak, try to loosen it normally. If you want to get tricky, loosen the nut till just on the last three or 4 threads, place socket on bolt end. Using large c-clamp apply some pressure and see if (using vice-grip on socket) if you can get the bolt to turn. I got the passenger side bolt free this way, eventually switching over to a deep well socket and pressing the bolt into the socket. Use plenty of penetrant. ; )